Monster Cable quality Cable without the "monster price tage" ???

X

XeoNoX

Enthusiast
I was thinking of getting the "MONSTER CABLE MonsterBass 400 Subwoofer Cable" off ebay for under 30 bux, I also found some fake Monster Subwoofer Cable MSB850 on ebay for around 30 bux also. I dont know what i should get but i need 20-25ft of it. Any reccomendations on what i should use for my home theatere subwoofer, ill buy other brands if they are good quality like monster cable.

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was thinking of getting the "MONSTER CABLE MonsterBass 400 Subwoofer Cable" off ebay for under 30 bux, I also found some fake Monster Subwoofer Cable MSB850 on ebay for around 30 bux also. I dont know what i should get but i need 20-25ft of it. Any reccomendations on what i should use for my home theatere subwoofer, ill buy other brands if they are good quality like monster cable.
Don't buy monster. My recommendation is Monoprice. This will work just perfectly, and both the product quality and the service from here is excellent (I usually have a tracking number for my order in 10 minutes). I don't buy cables anywhere else.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2683&seq=1&format=2

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Or, on top of the above recommendation, you can use any video cable of the right length:D like RG59 with the right plug or adaptor. No need to spend even $30 and Monster has a terrible business reputation:mad:

F

fractile

Junior Audioholic
I'd go with the real monster cable. They have the technology and facilities to make the actual product.

I've been made aware of some of their legal practices, but maybe it is a knee-jerk reaction to protect their product reputation. And people complain about the prices, but look at their technology compared with others.

I haven't done any extensive testing, only the Z1 series against zipcord, solid copper utility wire and standard low-oxygen speaker cable (bi-wire)
and the speaker cable was only a notch or two above the other two against the Z1. The 'time-alignment' actually works and reduces 'smear' in the sound.

Maybe someone knows of an equal alternative?

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
I'd go with the real monster cable. They have the technology and facilities to make the actual product.

I've been made aware of some of their legal practices, but maybe it is a knee-jerk reaction to protect their product reputation. And people complain about the prices, but look at their technology compared with others.

I haven't done any extensive testing, only the Z1 series against zipcord, solid copper utility wire and standard low-oxygen speaker cable (bi-wire)
and the speaker cable was only a notch or two above the other two against the Z1. The 'time-alignment' actually works and reduces 'smear' in the sound.

Huh?! Please, explain further this "time-alignment" technology and "smear" in the sound.

Their "facilities" stand a good chance to be the same place that makes monoprice.com cables.

-pat

X

XeoNoX

Enthusiast
wow its pretty tempting at monoprice for only 8 bux. It almost seems too good to be true. Is that cable good? ill be running the cable close to over 15 electircal devices and electiral plugs (and a wifi router and wifi adapter, i have signals all over the place).

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Listen to the guys in the forums about Monoprice, or check out Bluejeanscables.com..
The quality of the cables on these sites are just as good, if not higher than the brands you see in the stores, just without all the mark ups. Makes you wonder how much these named brand companies really spend making the product, vs marketing and distributing their cables.

I'm selling $1,500 speaker cables to replace them with $100 cables I purchased.. After doing blinded tests between the $1,500 cables and cheapo speaker wire, I could discern virtually no difference.. Don't buy cables just because they are expensive. You will just be wasting your money.

X

XeoNoX

Enthusiast
thanks guys, i guess ill be trying mono price's 15 footer cable. hope it works out good by all my electrical devices.

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
wow its pretty tempting at monoprice for only 8 bux. It almost seems too good to be true. Is that cable good? ill be running the cable close to over 15 electircal devices and electiral plugs (and a wifi router and wifi adapter, i have signals all over the place).
It is not too good to be true. It is just good business. I wish everyone knew about Monoprice so they could make educated purchases.

It is just as well-shielded as any monster you could buy, and as my friend Pat said above, it is possible the cable itself is made in the same plant (it could even be the same cable) as the monsters, and Monoprice just puts their own ends on it.

I used to be a monster buyer myself before I knew about the other options. Since then, I have replaced all of my monster brand cables with Monoprice ones. In fact, I prefer the ends on the Monoprice, because the monsters were too fat and would sometimes strain the RCA jacks on my equipment when they were plugged in next to each other, and any chance of messing up my equipment means it is to the garbage for the Monster cables :D.

Since I found out about alternatives to Monster, I have probably saved enough money between myself and my custom install customers to pay for at least half of the new receiver I just bought, and I am not exaggerating.

Last edited:
S

scott911

Full Audioholic
i won't buy monster cable even at 75% off at ciruit city's going out of business sale - still overpriced...

besides, their lack of ethics in the trade mark suits really "colors" the sound coming out of them, so I'd avoid them at any discount.

mono price and blue jeans for me.

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
i won't buy monster cable even at 75% off at ciruit city's going out of business sale - still overpriced...

besides, their lack of ethics in the trade mark suits really "colors" the sound coming out of them, so I'd avoid them at any discount.

mono price and blue jeans for me.
80 percent now. But I bought a couple of flex pin connectors (4 in each pack), for 6 bucks each....So, basically, I got 8 flex pins for 12 bucks. I thought I would take the deal. Also, got the Harmony 670 for 75 bucks. Couldn't pass that up either.

L

lowmileage

Audiophyte
:rolleyes:Say what you will about Monster cable but I think it so :cool: to tell all my buddies that I wouldn't run anything but MC:).

;)

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Strube,

so true about the connections on the M cables putting strain on your RCA jacks... I once had a Rotel processor and the darm M cables pulled the RCA jack off when I tried to remove them. They are way too tight and way overpriced...

Stick with BlueJeansCables and Monoprice.. Good products, good service, good prices...

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
80 percent now. But I bought a couple of flex pin connectors (4 in each pack), for 6 bucks each....So, basically, I got 8 flex pins for 12 bucks. I thought I would take the deal. Also, got the Harmony 670 for 75 bucks. Couldn't pass that up either.
It just goes to show you how much mark up there is on their stuff....

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

I'm afraid most of this is placebo or perception not fact. Heck we've all fallen for that effect before. Nothing wrong with it, but monoprice cables tend to be just as good. Though their toslink connectors can have trouble locking. They still are the place i go for almost all my cable needs except speaker wire. (they are always out of what I want.)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I agree about the monster cables rca plugs being too tight, I have some in my car that pulled the rca ground off the amp when I tried to remove the cable. Monster cables work just fine, and are a nice product, but their pricing and business strategies are what keep me from buying their prodcuts.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I've bought Monster, Blue Jeans, Radio Shack, Home Depot, and Monoprice.

I don't see the need to buy anything other than Monoprice. Except maybe that they don't carry 10 AWG speaker wire, only as thick as 12.

Even if they were selling Monster cables at $1 a piece would I suggest buying elsewhere in order that you do not support a company with such disgusting business practices.

Monoprice, FTW. Take that savings and get a nice sub or something. Yeah, you might actually save that much.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh, the tears. As far as I know, there is no such thing as WIRE TECHNOLOGY. I understand how a dielectric works and I can't say that it serves any purpose in speaker wire. Sorry to say, but if you believe their marketing then I have a bridge to sell you. Do you go to "Oxygen bars" too?

I too bought Monster at one point. When I found a place that was going out of business and I got it dirt cheap.... Similar case with my Audioquest cables - I don't buy them at regular price, I get them used or considerably marked down. I am a big fan of Bluejeans cable as well.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Another vote for Monoprice cables here. (If you still haven't pulled the trigger) Almost all my wire and cables are from them. I do have a set of Monster Cable speaker wires that I bought in the 80's. The Monoprice wires are just as good at 1/10th the price.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh, the tears. As far as I know, there is no such thing as WIRE TECHNOLOGY. I understand how a dielectric works and I can't say that it serves any purpose in speaker wire. Sorry to say, but if you believe their marketing then I have a bridge to sell you.

Or maybe a Bose system?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis