Car modding/projects thread!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Sheep pisses off yet another forum member. Color me surprised. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the Stang's getting FRPP springs and swaybars, Tokico struts and shocks, and 19's with Falken 255/40's installed today. It was kinda hard to sleep last night. Kinda like X-mas.
What Falkens? 912s probably won't hookup that well.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am not a big fan of Falkens, but a few of their tires are OK. I've had a few different ones and they were good enough for street. My preference for the last few years has been Bridgestone. I had 730s, 750s, S03s, and currently have RE760 Sports. The S03s were one of the best street tires I've owned, but the 750s were surprisingly good too. The 760s are not as good in the dry as the 750s, but are better in the wet.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I am not a big fan of Falkens, but a few of their tires are OK. I've had a few different ones and they were good enough for street. My preference for the last few years has been Bridgestone. I had 730s, 750s, S03s, and currently have RE760 Sports. The S03s were one of the best street tires I've owned, but the 750s were surprisingly good too. The 760s are not as good in the dry as the 750s, but are better in the wet.
The 912s are a good wet dry tire for street use. But spirited driving isn't one of their strengths. I personally like the RT615s, and at $100 a pop for an R compound for my car is music to my ears.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The 912s are a good wet dry tire for street use. But spirited driving isn't one of their strengths. I personally like the RT615s, and at $100 a pop for an R compound for my car is music to my ears.

SheepStar
My buddy with the LS1 ran A032Rs and still couldn't get traction.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
My buddy with the LS1 ran A032Rs and still couldn't get traction.
Doesn't surprise me. I'm talking FWD civic tires. You want traction in a RWD car with V8 torque, you're going to need semi slicks, not circuit tires.

SheepStar

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I ran the Falken 452 on my Z in a 285/35/18 rear 245/35/18 front and they had more grip than I could handle going up and down Mt. Lemon in Tucson. Look up Mt. Lemon on youtube and you'll see what I'm talking about...good times.:D

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/falken/product/submitProductSize.do?pc=18600&tmn=FK+452&typ=Passenger%2FPerformance
I was supposed to be getting the 452's, but the online retailer wasn't going to be shipping them until later this week, all the way from PA. I didn't feel like waiting that long, so I went to the Tire Rack and bought some Kuhmo Ecsta SPT's. I had a set of Kuhmo's a few years ago and they were a great tire for the money. A little loud though.

It was a MAJOR pain in the *** to find tires in 19". Most tires I found were at least $300 each!!! :eek:

I would have been better off getting 20's for my car, (much bigger tire selection). But I didn't want rims that big.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Here's a pic of Natasha with her new shoes. :D

I'm still getting used to the dark wheels/dark car thing. But I think it will grow on me.

The bigger wheels almost make her look lowered. I took her for a little drive last night and so far I really like the Kuhmo's. Nice and sticky, but very quiet. I took a nice 30mph off-ramp at about 50 and she didn't squeal at all.

Just got all the suspension stuff on this morning. She's over at Firestone right now getting an alignment. I'll post some pics when I get her back. On the drive from my mechanic to Firestone, the suspension felt pretty good. A little more firm, but not super harsh. I think it's still a little softer than my 95 was. Nice upgrade so far. :D

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Finally got around to modding the engine. Found a good deal on a Bullitt CAI with Predator dyno tune combo. She baselined at 273 RWHP, then made 283 after the CAI and tune. $500 is a bit steep for 10 HP, but the tune really woke the car up. She used to feel slow until you hit 3,000 RPM or so, but now she seems to pull from 1,000 all the way through the tach. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Carnage.

Been a while since I did any note worthy work on my cars, but the new one needed some help in the transmission. When I bought it, it made a spinning grinding noise when the clutch was out. A friend of mine from Vancouver Civics knows more about the 4th gen then Honda, so with his help, we're rebuilding the transmission, expecting to replace some bearings.

Not quite. Here are 2 photographs, which explain the seriousness of the problem.

"Dude, where's the tip of my 3rd gear shifter fork?"

"Oh, there it is, bouncing around in my transmission."

So, along with ALL the bearings, the car is getting another 3rd gear shifter fork from a transmission I picked up today, as well as the 5th gear from a DX (Bigger, lower RPMs, better MPG).

SheepStar

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Edit: By the way, a properly setup car should not spin its tired in 3rd gear going up a hill going around a corner.

SheepStar
Have you seen a Saleen S7 TT or a Vette ZR-1 in action? Those will burn rubber in 3rd gear doing anything. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Have you seen a Saleen S7 TT or a Vette ZR-1 in action? Those will burn rubber in 3rd gear doing anything. :D
My buddy's Supra could break loose in ANY gear :eek:

I got chills watching and hearing a MC-12 take off down the street at a car show a while back. Holy CRAP, it was like an F1 car.

Yesterday there was some fool kid in front of me trying to show off. He was going around a corner and nailed it and laid down some scratch but almost lost it at the same time (FWD). Then at the next light he tried to do the same thing and while he was busy destroying his clutch on his bald tires, he was trying to come out of the corner hard (nothing but spinning tires) and I came around the corner at speed and passed him on the outside. Dumbass.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
My buddy's Supra could break loose in ANY gear :eek:

I got chills watching and hearing a MC-12 take off down the street at a car show a while back. Holy CRAP, it was like an F1 car.

Yesterday there was some fool kid in front of me trying to show off. He was going around a corner and nailed it and laid down some scratch but almost lost it at the same time (FWD). Then at the next light he tried to do the same thing and while he was busy destroying his clutch on his bald tires, he was trying to come out of the corner hard (nothing but spinning tires) and I came around the corner at speed and passed him on the outside. Dumbass.
John, were you street racing?!?!

BTW, my new civic stayed with my buddies RSX-S all the way to 170kph. I love cams.

SheepStar

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sheep, I had big plans for this car but then the woman reminded me that buying a house comes first... so it's stock. :(

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Sheep, I had big plans for this car but then the woman reminded me that buying a house comes first... so it's stock. :(
Straight up, if I had an RSX-S, I'd put on some clean rims, slight drop, and an intake. They're quick enough out of the box for me.

SheepStar

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis