Sunshine on Blu-ray

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder if it was based on Ray Bradbury's short story The Golden Apples of the Sun? The plot looks similar to that, at least.

astrodon

astrodon

Audioholic
Then I have to poke a hole in your logic, sorry.

How do you keep film makers honest when they are making, "science fiction?"

The visuals of this movie and the overall tone is very good.
Captures the idea of space and how small we are as people.
The special effects are great, the sound is very good and overall this was a very under rated movie. A good choice as a BluRay movie.
I was making a joke.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah right you want to make me feel stupid for thinking there is a way to restart the sun. You crushed my hopes for mankind. :)
We could revisit the issue in a couple of hundred million years if it would make you feel better.;)

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Did MS patch Outlook for the Y2KKKKKKKKKKKKKK Bug that will be out by then?

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I just finished watching this and have to say I am pretty disappointed in it. The sound was very good, as was the cinematography. I liked all but one of the actors, the guy from fantastic four. I'm not bothered by the lack of scientific fact at all, as pointed out, that's why it's called science 'fiction.'

What ruined it for me was it just seemed to drag and seem non-sensical. That was the first 2/3 of the flick, then they added the burnt man which just seemed stupid beyond belief (make that 2 actors I didn't care for). And the finale came across to me as a bit too artsy and not enough sci-fi.

Jack

C

chris6878

Audioholic
This was a decent movie but what was up with the killer at the end. How was he super strong. HOw did he survive for six years have burns over 100% of his body. Once again, how the hell was he so damn strong? I hate movies that start out realistic and then all of the sudden they become unrealistic.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I took a chance and bought the BD without seeing it, I am not sorry. This was a great movie. The reviews had led me to believe there would be a bit more Physics in the plot, but it was really a good film even if you are not typically into sci-fi.
Danny Boyle used to be on my list of Automatic-go-see movies - Trainspotting, Millions, 28 Days Later, damn!

This film, I'm sorry to say, bumped him off that list. It's a great looking film, but I left thinking it was pretty damn pointless. It seemed to ask some Big Questions, and certainly had the artsy look of a movie that was dealing with Big Issues, but ended up as a pretty silly and routine "There's a mad killer on the loose!" movie.

I have nothing against a good mad killer movie, but this film wasn't one of those.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I enjoyed the movie just fine. I don't expect it to win movie of the year, but I like sci-fi. Well, I just watched this two nights ago... and did anyone else have audio dropouts, or freezed playback with this title when outputting 24 fps + bitstreamed DTS-MA? This title seemed to be the most problematic so far for me. Perhaps its a chance encounter, and if I watched it again, nothing might happen. I've only experienced this issue once before, and that wasn't even on BD, but Bourne Ultimatum on HD.

Rogozhin

Rogozhin

Audioholic
None of you are familiar with Ra?

This film uses some mysticism.

I enjoyed this movie.

itschris

itschris

I just finished watching this and have to say I am pretty disappointed in it. The sound was very good, as was the cinematography. I liked all but one of the actors, the guy from fantastic four. I'm not bothered by the lack of scientific fact at all, as pointed out, that's why it's called science 'fiction.'

What ruined it for me was it just seemed to drag and seem non-sensical. That was the first 2/3 of the flick, then they added the burnt man which just seemed stupid beyond belief (make that 2 actors I didn't care for). And the finale came across to me as a bit too artsy and not enough sci-fi.

Jack
I thought the exact same thing! I thought it was a pretty cool movie until the last 1/3. Burnt man... what was up with that? That just came out of no where.

I had just had UPPP surgery and was really really heavily medicated when I first watched it. I thought it was the cocktail of demoral and liquid vicotin, but I actually rented it again a couple of weeks later and found myself even more dissappointed. I have to say watching it on opiates did make the ending more bearable.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I enjoyed the movie overall. My issue with it is that it seems to think that it is a better movie than it is. It started out too slow, then got a little interesting, then got boring, then the end felt forced as if they shot one ending and nobody liked it in screenings so they shot a new one and tacked it on. Burnt man didn't bother me, but the fact that the story went so abruptly from boring to horror, literally in a few minutes just completely ruined it.

The Dali

The Dali

Audioholic
I thought it was a decent movie, but the final 20 minutes was a little hard to believe (yes, the whole movie was hard to believe, but the end even more so)... a question for you SF junkies... wouldn't they have simply exploded in space without a spacesuit? I thought that "jump" from craft to craft was a little more than unbelievable.

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
I thought it was a decent movie, but the final 20 minutes was a little hard to believe (yes, the whole movie was hard to believe, but the end even more so)... a question for you SF junkies... wouldn't they have simply exploded in space without a spacesuit? I thought that "jump" from craft to craft was a little more than unbelievable.
Why would they explode?

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Then I have to poke a hole in your logic, sorry.

How do you keep film makers honest when they are making, "science fiction?"
Actually, that's classically the *point* of science fiction. That's why it's called science fiction, instead of just "fiction". The stories were speculative, but meant to be true to current scientific knowledge, too. Hollywood abandoned that long ago, pretty clearly.

Sunshine was actually pretty good in that respect, compared to most current films, despite some issues.

Spoiler:

Re: the "space jump": That's actually pretty good science. No, people do not explode. It would take quite a bit of time to die. The biggest problem: people froze too quickly. Because there's no air in space, heat would not be lost due to convection, only due to radiant heat loss. This would be quite slow. It takes minutes to actually die in a vacuum.

For all the details on dying in space: Article Here

Added by edit:

j_garcia sez:
My issue with it is that it seems to think that it is a better movie than it is.
I'll second that. Art film direction, B movie script. Well, B+ movie script. I suppose you could say the same about the original Alien, too, but...well, that's just a better movie, period.

Last edited:
The Dali

The Dali

Audioholic
Why would they explode?

My understanding has been that since there is no pressure in space your internal pressure would force you to explode. Perhaps not... just what I thought would happen given two unequal sets of pressure.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I just like keeping the film-makers honest!
In the special features on the DVD there is an audio commentary by one of your kind you alien freak. :p

Just kidding. :)

There is no commentary ... Oh! :D

Alright, enough of that. Really they hired Dr. Brian Cox of The University of Manchester to help them out with the science. In the first 2 minutes he explains that spending 50 million dollars to make a science documentary about the sun would have made finding investors kind of a challenge. I'm going to watch it as soon as I'm done here. I'm really looking forward to it.

I liked the regular movie just fine. A little nudity would have been welcome. :D
How come nobody else commented on the crazy fascination that came over the various crew members regarding what you see when looking into the sun or by being fried by the sun? Icarus, science, fiction, cool cinematography and a freakishly strong burn victim made for an okay movie if you ask me. For my girlfriend? Not so much.

To further irritate my g/f I read Astrodon's comment to her. She tried to say oh and hmm in a couple of places to fake interest but I could tell she hoped it would be over soon. :)

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
My understanding has been that since there is no pressure in space your internal pressure would force you to explode. Perhaps not... just what I thought would happen given two unequal sets of pressure.
It doesn't work that way. Here is what happens.

The burnt man, horror aspect of it really took away from the movie. Also, I found it hard to swallow that a tiny little hydrogen bomb would "kick start" a star.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis