Sony BDP-BX1 Blu-Ray

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Just for references it is supposed to be the Costco version of the Sony BDP-s350. With two differences being the Costco one comes with an HDMI cord and a backlit remote.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
From what I've gathered it just as you said; a rebadged 350. I'm guessing it's from Costco? The back lit remote is a nice touch. I seem to recall reading something about it not internally decoding all of the HD audio formats. (DTS?? maybe??) Shouldn't be a problem for you.

Edit: And by the way, I think it's justified that I'm not watching the pre-game. But what are you doing here?:):)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sam's Club and Costco carry that model. Come on people, GOOGLE! DO YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT?

J

jamie2112

Banned
What the heck is google? Mazer my brother in law got one from costco for Christmas and the unit took a crap last night during the David Gilmore disc. He was supposed to return it today but I have not spoken with him yet. I have not heard anything else as to it being good or bad but, I know from the experiance last night I would have to say steer clear.....

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
What $3500 bucks worth of "Old" technology. :rolleyes:

I wish I had the audio knowledge then that I have now. I would have traveled a different path.
My bad..............I meant on that level. :eek::eek: I kinda feel the same way in that I should have gone with the 3808 rather than the 2808. Oh well, we all live and learn eh? For the time being, I am happy with the 2808. It is the best I have owned to date. Thanks for the clarification Maz.

Cheers,

Phil

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
What $3500 bucks worth of "Old" technology. :rolleyes:

I wish I had the audio knowledge then that I have now. I would have traveled a different path.
Oops, My bad as well.
I was thinking that Denon did Dolby and DTS HD.
It doesn't appear as though that Sony decodes DTS-HD MA internally.
Might be a slight deal breaker but not the absolute end of the world.
Was this a present from your wife Mazer?

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Nice present Steven. Enjoy. Maybe next Christmas an entertainment center for the Denon, eh.;)

There goes the neighborhood for the BLu ray review threads.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Not sure it's worth shipping the Denon, or just purchasing the Sony BDP-S550.
If I'm missing something here, please excuse me mazer, but...

I simply assume your Denon handles mch PCM over HDMI. Therefore, you don't need mch analogs on your bdp.

Have player internally decode, then send as mch PCM over HDMI.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
If I'm missing something here, please excuse me mazer, but...

I simply assume your Denon handles mch PCM over HDMI. Therefore, you don't need mch analogs on your bdp.

Have player internally decode, then send as mch PCM over HDMI.
This player as well as it's twin the BDP-S350 does internally decode DTS-HD MA. Neither does the Denon.

As I said, This isn't the end of the world, but an inconvenience.
Given the fact it was a present, which was the reason I asked, it may simply be a bit more PC to accept the gift and keep quiet the shortcoming.

Is it worth an extra $100 to upgrade? All things being equal, I'd say yes.

Mazer, if you at any time plan to upgrade that beast of a receiver, this arguement is a moot point.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis