Really Boring Stuff Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
My next "splurge" just might involve one of these....but that's a few months away.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-622
Please help me out here guys, coz now I'm left in the dark.
This post doesn't really belong here but I'm writing it anyways...

Some sub manufacturers like System Audio and Vandersteen strongly advocate on using extremely light cones in the subs to maximize th BL/mms factor and claim this to be extremely important. Some subs have moving mass < 25g

Now this Audiopulse driver has a mms of 390g, does this matter?

Or is the simple answer to this just to have enough amplifier power to feed into the driver, obviously the Audiopluse driver can take a lot of power :)))

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Some sub manufacturers like System Audio and Vandersteen strongly advocate on using extremely light cones in the subs to maximize th BL/mms factor and claim this to be extremely important. Some subs have moving mass < 25g
Pretty much, they just make up stuff as they go, based on their audiophile speculative habits, not real perceptual research, nor many facts...

Now this Audiopulse driver has a mms of 390g, does this matter?

Or is the simple answer to this just to have enough amplifier power to feed into the driver, obviously the Audiopluse driver can take a lot of power :)))
Right. Just add a little more power, and then some...... it's drivers like this from TC(AP) and the other very few companies with such capable technology, that will actually produce substantially more distortion free output than anything else. JL Audio W7 drivers are similar to the AP drivers; very high mass. Yet, the home products such as the JL Fathoms and Gothams that use W7 drivers are considered the best commercial subs manufactured for sound quality(and among the highest SPL for sealed systems) by most reviewers from across the board.

-Chris

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks Chris

Marketing BS is obviously a strong force and many of us fall for it.....
Luckily there are competent people around here :cool:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Pretty much, they just make up stuff as they go, based on their audiophile speculative habits, not real perceptual research, nor many facts...

Right. Just add a little more power, and then some...... it's drivers like this from TC(AP) and the other very few companies with such capable technology, that will actually produce substantially more distortion free output than anything else. JL Audio W7 drivers are similar to the AP drivers; very high mass. Yet, the home products such as the JL Fathoms and Gothams that use W7 drivers are considered the best commercial subs manufactured for sound quality(and among the highest SPL for sealed systems) by most reviewers from across the board.

-Chris
Just wondering, how big enclosure would be optimal for such an "animal" of a driver, thinking ported, guess a sealed enclosure would have to be extremely huge...

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Just wondering, how big enclosure would be optimal for such an "animal" of a driver, thinking ported, guess a sealed enclosure would have to be extremely huge...
The AXIS 15, with proper EQ, is suited to a 5 foot sealed enclosure. You could easily get in-room SPL at 12-14Hz in the 108-112dB range, and SPL at 25-30Hz in the 125-130dB range. Assuming a large enough amplifier, of course.... not even the Ep2500 bridged mono is really enough power for this driver in a sealed system... and that's 2000 watts RMS.

In ported, the output at lower end considerably more. But you need about 11-12ft net volume minimum, and a massive slot folded port system. Ep2500 would be fine for ported use.

-Chris

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The AXIS 15, with proper EQ, is suited to a 5 foot sealed enclosure. You could easily get in-room SPL at 12-14Hz in the 108-112dB range, and SPL at 25-30Hz in the 125-130dB range. Assuming a large enough amplifier, of course.... not even the Ep2500 bridged mono is really enough power for this driver in a sealed system... and that's 2000 watts RMS.

In ported, the output at lower end considerably more. But you need about 11-12ft net volume minimum, and a massive slot folded port system. Ep2500 would be fine for ported use.

-Chris
Wow these are really Mon............ oooops, I almost used the word that will get me sued by Noel Lee :cool:

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I bought some water at the gas station. Cost more per gallon than the gas.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
This is my 1000<sup>th</sup> post.:) Only took 2 years to get there.:rolleyes:
Congrats, man! I missed your post by about an hour, and then didn't come back until now (more details below).

I have two more days to work and then I'm off until Jan. 12/09.
Enjoy, Dave! I hope that you're getting paid.

Well, I took some time off to work on the house (painting, mostly) in preparation for the tile installers who came this morning. Woohoo. They marked, scuffed, and even removed some of the paint from my walls. Yeah, that was worthwhile. :mad: Oh, well. I ate some dinner and am back to my normal self. :)

I have 354 new threads to look through. I'm surprised at just how few entries there were in this thread over the past week. Come on, people! We are NOT that interesting. :D

BTW, Chris got himself an avatar. I don't think that I've seen him have one before.

G

GZA

Junior Audioholic
really boring stuff....

just worked a 12 hour day. going to have 60 hours at least this week. pay check it going to be enough to buy a new HT though

Last edited:
Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
I haven't posted in this thread as I haven't done much boring stuff lately. ;)

After a Thanksgiving trip home I came back to an install backlog and got it cleared up ... mostly. But the big deal was getting an Optoma HD70, Panny 42PX80 and BD35K all last week as early Christmas presents to myself. :D Got killer deals on them (~$1150 for all of it delivered) so I had to do it early. :D :D :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats on the great holiday score! Sounds like a very good Christmas, indeed.

I ordered myself a Streamlight Stinger LED yesterday. I have the regular Stinger (and a Stinger HP, too) - but I wanted to give the LED a shot. I had to buy new batteries for the others, anyway.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
Nice lights there Adam - to be honest I had to Google them to find out what they were as I'd never heard of them and they get great reviews on Amazon. I thought Maglites were good but sounds like Streamlight has them beat. I need another new flashlight - I've gone thru three cheapos so far this year. Looks like the LED is the way to go - thanks for the tip. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry about that, Phil. I should have put in a link. I really like the Stinger. The battery stopped holding a charge after about five years, which isn't too bad. The Stinger HP is bright, but the headlamp assembly is larger than I like (I keep it in my back pocket when walking the pooch in the dark).

I went with the dual-switch version. It's longer than the regular LED, but I was curious enough to give it a go. It'll fit in my already-wall-mounted Stinger charger and uses the same batteries. I bought from some place that I've never heard of (can't remember the name right now...it's on my PC), so hopefully it arrives. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm currently holed up in my office along with my pooch. The door muffles the sound of the tile being installed, which is good for her.

I want some more coffee, but she's snoozing so soundly that I don't want to bother her.

Matt34

Matt34

Congrats on the great holiday score! Sounds like a very good Christmas, indeed.

I ordered myself a Streamlight Stinger LED yesterday. I have the regular Stinger (and a Stinger HP, too) - but I wanted to give the LED a shot. I had to buy new batteries for the others, anyway.
I use a rechargeable streamlight in my truck. We also have some nice ones for our patrol vehicles.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I use a rechargeable streamlight in my truck. We also have some nice ones for our patrol vehicles.
Ewww...the Strion (right?). Very nice! I've thought about getting one of those for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis