Everything You Ever Needed To Know About PS3

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
ps3 questions:
1) can i use ANY PC usb wireless mouse/keyboard on the PS3? or does it have to be a "PS3" item
2) can i use an unpowered USB hub on the PS3? (having 2 usb ports for an external HD, charging the controller, USB flash disk and possibly future KB and mouse is gonna suck)

PSWii60

PSWii60

Full Audioholic
ps3 questions:
1) can i use ANY PC usb wireless mouse/keyboard on the PS3? or does it have to be a "PS3" item
2) can i use an unpowered USB hub on the PS3? (having 2 usb ports for an external HD, charging the controller, USB flash disk and possibly future KB and mouse is gonna suck)
1) yes
2) yes

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can buy other chargers for the controllers - they have ones that just plug into the wall and you set the controller in the cradle. I just picked up a used controller so I am never without a charged one. I used an unpowered usb controller with mine and it worked fine, though I only had one device hooked up to test. You won't need to keep most USB drives attached all the time since you really only need to hook it up when you want to read media (music or movies) from it or copy to/from. My 320G still has about 280G left though....still need to put my music on there.

I was at Frys today and they had a 1TB USB drive for $229.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i use my bedroom ps3 primarily to play music from the external HD.
i did notice that if for example i chose to use a media server - and then after awhile decide to use the external drive (which is still connected), i can no longer select the drive (timed out?) and i have to turn off the ps3 and turn it back on to detect the drive ... is there an easier way to "re-detect" the drive aside from restarting?

also, when i updated my firmware to 2.x and now to 2.5 - re: media server: fastforwarding faster than 10x = hangs the video. i have to hit stop, then play again, then it will play where it hanged. how do i fix this?

i normally play a picture slideshow then play music, but when i updated the firmware - when i hit R1 which was previously next track - has now become next pic. i want it to go back to next track. how do i do that?

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
I keep a controller on charge at my desk with the laptop, it has 6 USB ports, so theres always one charged.

D

davo

Full Audioholic
There is some really interesting stuff in there!
It tells you where you can go to look at up coming PS3 products. It seems there is a wireless keyboard lurking around. Anyone see it around yet?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have yet to see a Sony branded PS3 specific keyboard but I heard about it as well. Most bluetooth and/or wireless keyboards should work though. I just use a small usb keyboard with mine. That is, unless you are talking about the one that attaches to the controller that will be used for interaction in Home and other upcoming games. That one should be out within the next few months I believe.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis