Denon AVP-A1HDCI / POA-A1HDCI Review Support Thread

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Firmware Update!

Guys;

Last night I checked for a firmware update and recieved one that took 15 minutes to download.

I noticed it fixed my Netradio problem.

I emailed Denon and they also informed me of the following:

This update sets the AVP up for the October 1 upgrade of Dynamic Volume and Sirius Radio Ready features. If you go to ‘Add New Feature’ and press Enter, you should see a new page. Also depending on when you did your last update, it may have included the fix for 2 pixel cutoff on right side of image.

I also confirmed that Dynamic Volume & EQ will function for those using the Audyssey Pro Calibration kit with the computer software.

progprog

progprog

Enthusiast
Guys;

......If you go to ‘Add New Feature’ and press Enter, you should see a new page.
Hmm. I did this update about a week ago, but I don't see anything under "Add New Feature," just a message that nothing's available.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Guys;

Last night I checked for a firmware update and recieved one that took 15 minutes to download.

This update sets the AVP up for the October 1 upgrade of Dynamic Volume and Sirius Radio Ready features. If you go to ‘Add New Feature’ and press Enter, you should see a new page. Also depending on when you did your last update, it may have included the fix for 2 pixel cutoff on right side of image.

I also confirmed that Dynamic Volume & EQ will function for those using the Audyssey Pro Calibration kit with the computer software.
That is definitely some excellent news! :) While I don't use Net Radio, I know that many AVP owners do. So this news will make them very happy.

Also it's good to know that this update sets up the AVP for the upcoming upgrade. Thanks Gene for sharing this info.;) I will be sure to add this info to our Wiki.

Seth

S

ShaharT

Audiophyte
Thank you Gene! We're lucky to have this channel into Dennon through you :)
They do make super products, but the way they communicate about firmware updates - what they contain and planned schedule for future updates does leave some improvment to be desired. It's kind of a guessing game at the moment. But as mentioned, your link into them and the fact you're kind enough to keep updating us is super. Much appreciated.
Btw - any new rumors / official news on the new uber blu-ray player?

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
Guys;

have checked nothing either, unless there is another 15min from the last one I did the other time.

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
Gene, I just wanted to know whats your thoughts on why some people updating to the new firmware seems to work fine and others not.I have a theory I would like to share with you I believe that if you don't update the firmware when there due and suddenly another one appears the AVP will look at the latest firmware released.So if you miss the previous update and you update with the latest, well things can kind of get messy. The new updates I believe don't have the previous updates. There were some members who had 3 HDMI's not working after the latest update(a 5308), why? because maybe they missed an update which was needed to work with the new one.There was another who noticed another update after the latest one he did, that was the 65min update which I remember we did awhile back. If he did not check well god knows what could go wrong.I could be way off in my theory but at the moment it seems like the only thing that makes sense to me.

Another thing is if you could pass onto Denon Jeff is wouldn't it be easier if we could download via the INTERNET through our computer and save it on a flash card(a USB mem stick) and then upload it via the flash card using the USB on the AVP. I'm sure if they can do that people won't have to worry about slow updates or even update failures.Last thing we want to do is take our AVP to the service centre because there was a problem with the updates

Cheers
Frank

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, I just wanted to know whats your thoughts on why some people updating to the new firmware seems to work fine and others not.I have a theory I would like to share with you I believe that if you don't update the firmware when there due and suddenly another one appears the AVP will look at the latest firmware released.So if you miss the previous update and you update with the latest, well things can kind of get messy. The new updates I believe don't have the previous updates. There were some members who had 3 HDMI's not working after the latest update(a 5308), why? because maybe they missed an update which was needed to work with the new one.There was another who noticed another update after the latest one he did, that was the 65min update which I remember we did awhile back. If he did not check well god knows what could go wrong.I could be way off in my theory but at the moment it seems like the only thing that makes sense to me.

Another thing is if you could pass onto Denon Jeff is wouldn't it be easier if we could download via the INTERNET through our computer and save it on a flash card(a USB mem stick) and then upload it via the flash card using the USB on the AVP. I'm sure if they can do that people won't have to worry about slow updates or even update failures.Last thing we want to do is take our AVP to the service centre because there was a problem with the updates

According to Jeff T, he has addressed alternate means of updating with the Denon engineers, however the USB will not be one of them, as it is not a ‘data’ port like on PCs, but music port only. Also the software downloaded is full of proprietary data that their guys in Japan don’t want to have freely floating around – this included the RS-232C port. Updates are progressive, meaning whatever you unit doesn’t have it will get, regardless of timing.

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
According to Jeff T, he has addressed alternate means of updating with the Denon engineers, however the USB will not be one of them, as it is not a ‘data’ port like on PCs, but music port only. Also the software downloaded is full of proprietary data that their guys in Japan don’t want to have freely floating around – this included the RS-232C port. Updates are progressive, meaning whatever you unit doesn’t have it will get, regardless of timing.
Why are some experincing problems with the update and some are not? I cant see how that should happen.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
So far the update process on my AVP has been seamless. I recently did the 15 minute update and all is well.:) Here's hoping it continues. But I see where Franin is coming from as others have had some problems updating, so if the Denon engineers do find an alternate way to implement it, that would be good news for those AVP owners.

Seth

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
So far the update process on my AVP has been seamless. I recently did the 15 minute update and all is well.:) Here's hoping it continues. But I see where Franin is coming from as others have had some problems updating, so if the Denon engineers do find an alternate way to implement it, that would be good news for those AVP owners.

Seth
Mine has gone seamless also(touch Wood), but it worries me that mine could be next. Im suprised why you guys don't have the 110 min update as of yet.

L

Laurent B.

Audiophyte
Hello Gene,

You are right. They have worked on the Net/USB module and fixed some of the issues.

Unfortunately, issues reported in June by Seth V in page 6 of the topic are still here :(. This is the list :
  • Receiver continues to display album art image (MP3 tag album art) with screen saver turned on and active.
  • In Net Audio Web page control the Internet radio song information doesn't update when song changes on station (note: They are successfully updated on the LED front panel).

Would you please email these issues to Denon ?

Thank you very much :)

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
North America AVP firmware update change log

This is the BIG update that many have been waiting for.:)

Thanks to captavs from AVS for this info.

Here is the change log for North America AVP firmware update reported available October 1:

3-1. Additional of new features

1) SIRIUS Ready

2) Audyssey Dynamic Volume

3) Improving of connectivity with ASD-11R

4) Change the name of 2-way Remote in OPTION SETUP menu. (232C PORT(1))

5) Correspondent to Resolution of 1080p/24Hz

3-2. Improvement of malfunction

1) The unit does not come back to the last state of playback when we turn off the power during playback Internet radio then turn on.

2) The customer has connected a "USB-Stick memory" with more than 4GB. Random-function of USB devices is not active.

3) Drop-outs via Ethernet playback from PC with "Windows Vista".

4) No playback of JPEG with Meta data.

5) Missing Aspect ratio setup for NET/USB source.

3-3. Improvement of GUI indication

1) Improvement of remote control receipt operation

a) To turn on the power supply of the unit in the standby by "INPUT SOURCE selection" button of remote control or "QuickSelect" code.

b) After the power supply of the unit had been turned on, the operation time by the remote control such as "INPUT SOURCE selection" button, "Surround mode", and "Master volume control" were shortened.

2) The display condition of "Subwoofer channel" of "DIRECT" and "STEREO mode" when 2ch is input is changed.

3) To turn off the channel indicator on the FL display when the subwoofer was not output.
(Subwoofer Mode : "LFE", Front Speaker: "Large")

4) The setting of "SB CH OUT" can be changed by operating "Standard" button at 5.1ch input.

5) When "PCM Multi Ch+Matrix" has been turned on, the surround mode display name is changed.

6) When the mastering volume is operated, the setting that displays "Volume display" of "GUI/OSD" in the screen upper row is added.
(A set value of Option/GUI/Master volume is changed to Bottom/Top/OFF.)

7) "Aspect setting item" is added to the "NET/USB" function. (SOURCE SELECT/NetUSB/video/Aspect)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
New DENON Firmware Update!

DENON Firmware Update for AVP-A1HDCI & AVR-5308CI – October 1st, 2008

Notes:
1. Go to Firmware Update, not Add New Feature in the Options Menu, under Manual Setup
2. Unit settings will not be touched or reset
3. Update takes a little over 110 minutes

Firmware Update Details:
1. New Features Added:
a. Audyssey Dynamic Volume
i. Note: No Audyssey recalibration is needed after the update
ii. In Surround Parameters section you will see new menu item for Audyssey with selections for MultEQ, Dynamic EQ and Volume
iii. Dynamic Volume has 4 settings
1. Day/Evening/Midnight/Off
2. Each settings has different desired listening level, so Day mode will have a higher range, while midnight will have the least
b. Sirius Radio readiness
i. Need to get optional Sirius Home Connect Tuner (plus subscription) with RS-232C connector

2. Improvements to Unit Operation and GUI
a. Operation with new iPod/iTouch/iPhone models when used with optional ASD-11R dock – Full audio and video output is now permitted with meta-data on GUI of AVP/AVR
b. Change the setting name of ‘2-way Remote’ in Option Setup menu – now reads ‘232C Port’
c. Better throughput of 1080p/24Hz signals via HDMI
i. Adds scaling to 1080/24 from any analog/digital signals
d. When power is turned off during Internet Radio playback, then powered back on, unit will now properly return to previous state of Internet Radio playback
e. When using USB with Flash Drives of 4GB and higher, random playback is now permitted
f. When streaming files from a PC with Windows Vista, dropouts have been eliminated
g. Playback of JPEG files with meta-data is now permitted
h. Aspect ratio setting has been added for the Net/USB input
i. Input Source Selection via remote will now power on the unit
j. After power up, operation time for the unit to accept remote commands has been decreased
k. Subwoofer Channel output indicator in the Front Panel Display (FLD) has been corrected when custom settings for ‘Stereo/Direct’ have been set to ‘Speaker Large’, ‘Subwoofer Off’
l. The Surround Parameter settings of ‘SB CH Out’ can now be changed directly by pressing the ‘Standard’ button on the remote or front panel
i. This will toggle through the options for the playback mode of the Surround Back Channels when listening to a 5.1 input source with a 7.1 channel setup– Matrix, Non-Matrix, PLIIx Cinema etc
m. New Volume Indicator settings for the GUI have been added
i. In Options Menu, under GUI, then Volume, the setting options are now: Bottom/Top/Off.
ii. Top setting will now display volume at the top of the display

I also spoke with Denon and they claim with this update if you are running an XBOX 360 at 1080p via component video out, you can scale it to 1080p via HDMI to your display! I will be testing this shortly and report my findings here.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
DENON Firmware Update for AVP-A1HDCI & AVR-5308CI – October 1st, 2008

I also spoke with Denon and they claim with this update if you are running an XBOX 360 at 1080p via component video out, you can scale it to 1080p via HDMI to your display! I will be testing this shortly and report my findings here.
Thank you Gene for sharing the info. :) I will be sure to add the details on the Wiki over the weekend.

While I don't use my Xbox 360 in the HT room, I am still very curious as to how well it will work at scaling it to 1080p via HDMI.

On another subject, an AVP owner over at AVS just posted that after he did the 110 minute update he lost two items.

Here's what he said:

I seem to have lost two items after the 110 Update.

I no longer get the SW in direct modes.

I cannot select 7.1 (5.1) Channel Stereo from the remote. I have to use the main panel. Its no longer in the list as you toggle the surround modes.

Anyone else have these two issues after the 110 min update?
Can you confirm if this is indeed true?

Seth

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Seth;

I still get subout using pure direct mode. Have him check his "2CH direct" settings to ensure he has the sub engaged on that. not sure about the other issue. I haven't used my AVP much b/c of preparations for the up and coming SOTU event. :(

G

greynolds

Audiophyte
2. The unit contains a high quality phono preamp for high output cartridges. Low output cartridges can be used with a step up transformer.
Do you happen to have any recommendations for a good step up transformer to use with the AVP? I'm currently using a Krell KPA phono preamp with my Lexicon MC-12B (my AVP arrives this coming Tuesday to replace my Lexicon) and would like to be able to make use of the phono input on the AVP (which would require replacing the Krell KPA with a MC step up transformer. I've got a Benz Ruby 2 cartridge, Graham 1.5 tonearm, and Basis 2001 turntable.

G

greynolds

Audiophyte
Do you happen to have any recommendations for a good step up transformer to use with the AVP?
Gene - as a follow-up to this, is there any chance a suggestion could be sent to your contact at Denon to add the option to disable the phono preamp on the phono input (obviously there might be a hardware limitation in the way here) AND/OR to make the phono input configurable just like the other inputs (allow the user to choose which analog, digital, component, HDMI, etc. physical inputs get assigned to it)?

I've got a lot of source devices in my system, so every available input helps. The Lexicon MC-12 has 12 virtual inputs - any physical input of each type (analog, digital, video, S-video, component) on the back can be assigned to each virtual input. This is similar to the AVP except that all virtual inputs have full configurability while the AVP has a couple of different categories. This flexibility and perhaps LOGIC7 are things I'll miss in switching to the AVP, but the AVP has so much more functionality that I'm sure I'll survive :D.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Seth;

I still get subout using pure direct mode. Have him check his "2CH direct" settings to ensure he has the sub engaged on that. not sure about the other issue. I haven't used my AVP much b/c of preparations for the up and coming SOTU event. :(
Well I did the update yesterday and I did not lose my sub on Pure Direct either. Seems as though his is an isolated case so far.

I tried out Dynamic Volume and I really like it! I prefer the "Daytime" mode as it sounds the best to me. While many will most likely use it only for watching TV shows, I also found it to work very well for movies. Dialog remains clear and understandable no matter what all is going on with the sound effects.

I noticed that when powered on, the AVP now shows AVP-A1HDCI in the display window. I never noticed that before.:cool:

Seth

D

DJBCAG

Audiophyte
Firmware upgrade in UK

I am about to get my AVP-A1HDCI. I am told there is a firmware upgrade for us in UK. I am also told the AVP will cost me more if I want the firmware upgrade done for me. Has anyone got any helpful comments? Is this true?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis