Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic
good point

Regardless of her position on various hot-button morality issues like gay rights, abortion, etc., we don't need someone as regressive as she is involving the environment and sustainable use of its resources.

I think Biden would eat her for lunch in a one to one debate.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Are you willing to give Palin the same credit for the accomplishments of her career, or is she still just a Soccer Mom.

(referring to the Maher comments, not anything you've said. Just trying to make the general point.)
No no, this is Alaska - she's a hockey mom. (By her own description, by the way.)

I'm not willing to give her the "same credit" as Obama - a J.D. from Harvard Law, Constitutional law lecturer at the University of Chicago, lawyer, community organizer in Chicago, 7 Years in the Illinois Senate, 3+ years as a U.S. Senator.

But I'm willing to give her credit for what she's done. Communications B.S. from the U. of Idaho, Sports reporter and commercial fishing partner w/her husband, Small town council member and mayor for 10 years combined, a brief time on the Alaska Gas and Oil Commission, and gov of Alaska for 1+ years.

itschris

itschris

If you sit down and think about race shouldnt even be anything anybody would contemplate as being a factor in an election for a countries president. But then again, in a perfect world war would be unnecessary and the thought of having enough nuclear weapons to destroy the entire planet a few times over would seem as pure insanity.

But guess what? It is and we do.
I could not agree more. And I thought it was somewhat only touched upon the edges until Obama made the comment

"What they're going to try to do is make you scared of me," Obama said. "You know, he doesn't look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills."

To me, if you keep talking about race, than it's obviously an issue somehow. I was at dinner last night with some friends. One couple is a mixed race couple - he's white, her father is black and her mother was asian. Discussion about current politics brought me to rehashing this thread from yesterday and I was a bit surprised by Kayla's response. She's a democrat, a fairly left leaning one at that, and she finds it "insulting" that Obama allows people to say he'd be the first black president. She said he's "not black. He's also white" and that he was allowing the media to portray him in as a "pure black person" only to advance himself. I was stunned somewhat, because as you can imagine, her and I rarely agree on anything political.

So no one misunderstands, my questions or concerns are not about his race. That I don't care about. Mine are based on if your trying to capitalize on that which you say shouldn't matter in the first place and even more so when you may not even have the right to do so.

Anyway, overall, it's been a good discussion that's been kept above board. We'll see how the new VP thing shakes out over the next several weeks. I think like most revelations, the hype will die out soon and the focus will return on what it should be... who would be the best president to deal with monumental issues we're facing.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
1. Considering the VP is a heartbeat away from the presidency, who would you feel more comfortable with as president in terms of overall experience, especially in foreign policy, Palin or Biden?

2. Is anyone besides me deeply disturbed that Palin supports having Intelligent Design, i.e. Creationism, taught along side Evolution in our public schools, as if it were a legitimate scientific alternative? Think what you will about I.D's validity, it is NOT science.
1. The issue is really only relevant is terms of McCain's age and health, not really an issue for a young and healthy Obama. Basically, my view is that McCain is the obvious choice for president. Should anything happen to him, Palin would be very capable caretaker/placeholder president until the next election when a new mandate would need to be established. As far as the Democrats, I think Biden would be a better president than Obama right from day one. However, the choice for president is between McCain and Obama. Choose appropriately.

2. I share your concerns about Palin's religious views and it's a good thing that she's not running for president. I've already alluded to my take on her social policies (i.e. pro-life), but certain beliefs are required to be a GOP candidate, sorry to say. As a first choice for president, she would be a terrible pick but as an administrative replacement without a mandate in the event of McCain having an unfortunate incident, she can do no harm.

The main point I wanted to make throughout this thread is that Palin is a strong choice for VP and enhances McCain's campaign by tapping into many areas of his constituent base where he might be weak.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey Mike C,

It's your turn to close this political thread when this one turns ugly later.;)

Posted by: mike c
closed political threads tally
mike c : 1
Clint DeBoer : 2,456,987
Hahahaha....

No comment..:p

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Are you willing to give Palin the same credit for the accomplishments of her career, or is she still just a Soccer Mom.

(referring to the Maher comments, not anything you've said. Just trying to make the general point.)
You are right. She is not a soccer mom
She is an Ice hockey Mom.:D
She was elected to the governor's office Nov 2006, right? I think she took over in Jan of 2007? But that is just a month or two difference, no?
When was Obama elected to the Senate? Perhaps Nov of 2004?
And the IL assembly? Perhaps 2000?
sure she did great job in office, cleaned up the corruption, and reigned in the budget, a true Republican. That is what George should have concentrated on;)

Oh, don't forget though, in 2006, she was FOR that bridge to nowhere before she was against it.;):D But then, I have no problems with anyone changing one's mind at all on changing information.
She believes that global warming is a hoax or a myth. What else should I give credit to?
She is a true Republican on the right side, unlike some of the other VPs that McCain really wanted to elect. But then, no one can really read his mind though.:D

I promised Gene to not get involved in political threads, so let me just ask that everyone please vote for her because she's hot and likes to hunt moose.

:)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I promised Gene to not get involved in political threads, so let me just ask that everyone please vote for her because she's hot and likes to hunt moose.

Ahhh, but you did get involved despite your promise. You would make a good politician, Clint. ;)

Just kidding with ya. :D

C

cl35m

Banned
this could go down as one of the best political decisions ever.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

2. I share your concerns about Palin's religious views and it's a good thing that she's not running for president. I've already alluded to my take on her social policies (i.e. pro-life), but certain beliefs are required to be a GOP candidate, sorry to say. As a first choice for president, she would be a terrible pick but as an administrative replacement without a mandate in the event of McCain having an unfortunate incident, she can do no harm.

The main point I wanted to make throughout this thread is that Palin is a strong choice for VP and enhances McCain's campaign by tapping into many areas of his constituent base where he might be weak.
Well, she certainly solidifies the hard right religious base in the GOP for McCain as they don't like McCain much, nor the others who were on his short list, pro abortion GOP folks;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

First I thought McCain had a stroke of genius. Good looking woman as a running mate after Hillary's near win with 18 million votes during the primaries.
I even thought of the very interesting series "Commander-in-Chief" on one of the Networks which had a woman as President...
But,
in another Forum, I was able to compliment an Alaskan resident and his response was:

And this reminded me of a statement she made in her nomination speech about Oil;

she wants to see the Alaskan pipeline built, she wants drilling done in Alaska Reserve territories. This is not a person who will support alternatives to oil to power industries, electricity and cars and therefore will not be a strong advocate for policies to reduce gas emissions and slow down climate change. On the other hand, the Obama team has a 10 year plan.

She could be a good debater and dare Biden in a VP debate. But, if ever McCain is elected then goes away tragically, Palin's Extreme conservatism could cause pain to everyone in America and elsewhere.
Well, she is a Republican after all, hard core to the right. Of course she is for all those in your quote and weakening all those laws. Don't forget, she also wants to negate the Polar Bear being on the watch and endanger list. Why? Because that interferes with business, may cost some $$$.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

...Her political views are in line with the majority of the republican party. The point that dave keeps making is true, and fact..she is the only one in the race with executive experience. I am sure Obama's poltical record is less than stellar(including his voting record) and yet he has made it this far on strong speaking skills, media backing, and promise. This election may very well be by far the worst in my lifetime, and yes i was around for 76.
Yep, she is republican, hard core on the right, unlike some others McCain considered.

As to executive experience, where is that a requirement? McCain doesn't have it either, right? Actually, she has her toes in that executive waters, not a lot of experience, 20 months. But hey, McCain is now surrounded by beauty pageant babes:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Oh, yes, she is hot for 44:D Is she running for another beauty pageant?;) I am in and will vote for her:D but, depends who the other contestants are;)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I think Biden would eat her for lunch in a one to one debate.
I wonder if Biden's penchant for plagiarizing will help, or hurt him, in a debate against Sarah Palin?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/barackobama/2607505/Joe-Biden-plagiarised-Neil-Kinnock-speech.html
Or does anyone care to speak to, the first time he was caught plagiarizing in law school?
Biden sounds like yet, another lawyer turned politician. Seems like we have far too many of them already.:(

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Palin = VPILF, I would vote for her... She's a lifetime NRA member, so that's good enough for me, I know she won't be a gun grabber like the Dems.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis