Florida Audioholics Get Together

ricocetj

ricocetj

Junior Audioholic
errmm... I believe I showed up in a few of the pictures. I had a yellow polo on.

majorloser

majorloser

That's me in the background with my hands in my pockets. Jvgillow is leaning on his Strata Mini boxes.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Actually, the plain yellow polo :cool:
oops... thanks for the clarification.

Some highlights:

There were quite a few people listening to the 7.1 and 2.0 Emotiva setups in the living room/dining room areas when I got there, so I headed for the dedicated HT. Dave has done a great job with this room and definitely has quite the collection of toys! I was very excited to hear the two MFW-15's and so I pretty much hung out in there until the MFW's were set up. In the meantime, we listened to some various concerts Dave had saved on his DVR over HD-Net. Dave's Canton setup with dual VTF-3HO's sounded great. I could hang out there all day!

The MFW's were then hooked up and we ran though numerous demo scenes including the U-571 depth charge scene, various scenes from Transformers, and the Darla tapping scene from Finding Nemo. During the Transformers demo scenes I was really impressed with the speed and accuracy of the MFW's, they integrated well with the other speakers and I ended up just enjoying the movie more than thinking about the subwoofers. During the Darla tapping scene, you could really feel the power and depth these guys are capable of. They easily filled the room with that deep pounding bass we all know and love from that scene. It was cool to see the size comparison between the MFW's and the VTF-3HO's as well. They were pretty similar in size, definitely both very LARGE subwoofers.
what is your opinion on the dual HO's versus dual MF's?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If you don't mind, I'd like to share my perspective. First off it was great to hear a nice variety of speakers together in the same listening space. While this wasn't a "controlled" face off, I don't believe that was really the focus of this event so much as it was to appreciate the products so many of the Audioholics readers get much enjoyment from.

Although the test conditions weren’t ideal, (bright lively rooms, open space, and high ambient noise) it still allowed each listener to gauge the tonal characteristics of each speaker system to decide what they preferred in that particular listening environment.

Ricocetj did a great job balancing out the levels and I was glad my Sencore SP495C Audio Analyzer came in handy to help out. This was the first time I actually used this device and I am really digging its portability and relative ease of use. Best of all it has 1/30th octave resolution which is quite good for a handheld. In the noisy environment we were in, I couldn’t take accurate measurements, for that it would have been better to bring along my LMS equipment, but again this get together wasn’t about being a propeller head as it was more a celebration of good audio equipment among friends who all suffer the same afflictions. Yes this is Audioholics Anonymous and although I’m the President, I am still a member :)

I figured I’d throw up a few pics I took (see below).

The family room seemed more focused on tower type speakers. I had a chance to listen to the Emotiva towers using my own source disc from Dianne Reeves. This disc usually identifies a speakers over aggressive top end and coloration in the mids. I was pleased to not hear these issues on the Emo towers. Instead, I heard well balanced sound with nice punchy bass that although didn’t dig down to the lowest octaves, remained tight and well controlled which is what a good tower speaker system should do.

The Emo gear did a great job powering everything, no surprises there and I am looking forward to reviewing the new XPA-2 shortly.

The comparison between the AV123 ribbon speakers and Martin Logans was a bit skewed to favor the latter since they were about 4-6dB louder but once the levels were adjusted on the fly, I ultimately felt the Logans offered a more balanced tonal quality to them and larger soundstage. I personally think the AV123s needed more room as us sitting in such close proximity wasn’t a good indication of how they would sound at their sweet spot, at least not where I was in the front row.

I was glad to have the Status Acoustics Decimo speakers there as the main reference for bookshelves. The fact that these have remained in my reference system since Audioholics inception speaks volumes of my opinion of them so I need not further elaborate as you are welcome to read my review:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/status-acoustics-decimo

I was eager to hear the SVS MBS-01 speakers since they feature a top end Scan Speak tweeter. Overall I thought they were good but I did detect some coloration in the mids (a cupped sound on brass instruments and vocals) and the bass, although well extended seemed a bit loose. I later came to find out that SVS is now offering an upgraded crossover that allegedly improves their performance so it would be interesting to hear these again at a later date with the update.

The AV123 encore x-ls’s were very impressive, much more so than the original samples I had during our face off last year.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/speaker-face-off-iv

Their tonal balance was laid back, perhaps a bit tame in the top end for some, but they worked very well in a lively room which I suspect more than fewer people have these days, especially in Florida. Considering these speakers sell for around $400/pair and look so nice, I have a hard time critiquing them as they seemed to be the real deal for this asking price. I may ask AV123 to upgrade my units and retest them at a later date.

I heard the complete Emo 7.1 setup which sounded quite nice with the DTS multi channel mix that Bandphan brought along. Although during the Twister movie I had to walk out b/c it was too friggin loud in that room for me. Thus I retreated in Dave's awesome theater room and watched a little Transformers action with that smoking hot .... I mean cool robots ;)

The new Emotiva bookshelf featuring dual 6 1/2"s and a 1" tweet had a nice bassy punch to them and although were at a disadvantage below 80Hz (purposely designed that way), could easily blend well with a couple of subs and play at high SPLs with no fear of bottoming them out. The woofers barely moved and since there are two in tandem that means they can play louder with 1/2 the distortion compared to similar single woofer designs. These speakers are dynamic and appear to be extremely well suited for home theater applications. In Dave's room, I preferred the tweet setting to -2dB which gave the best tonal balance and reduced listening fatique at high SPL's. I am looking forward to reviewing this system along with their subs once everything is officially released.

Overall this was a fun experience and the company was excellent. Next time around it would be great if this event would be held in a more acoustically neutral environment but NOT if that hampers the food and beer supply :)

Attachments

TICA

TICA

Audioholics Accounts Manager
Response

What happened to the pics of the food?
We fans want to see that.

Also, do you have any pics of the "sci-fi" room I heard about?

Awesome perspective.

TICA :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Look at the size of those sandwich cuts! Usually you get little portions when they are cut up in a circle like that but this obviously isn't the case when Dave/Yvette are the hosts :)

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I strayed away from the lens as much as i could, mostly back of the head shots, with one portriat shot(emos lounge)..the dude in the white shirt / green shorts.

Two things that seemed to get reinforced to me was,1 that better amps with more headroom made most of the speakers perform better (2ch) and those here that dont believe that pro audio power is a cost effective high preformance solution to HT should rethink their stance;)

Matt34

Matt34

Looks like Dave and Yvette know how to throw a party.;) That food looks so good, especially after what the army just fed me for lunch.:eek: I'll make my way down to Florida one of these days.

(I've been saying that for what, 2-3 years now?)

dann g.

dann g.

Enthusiast
Lollapaloser

Well, there was a long line for skeeball, but otherwise, it was great.

loserwife

loserwife

Audioholic
Look at the size of those sandwich cuts! Usually you get little portions when they are cut up in a circle like that but this obviously isn't the case when Dave/Yvette are the hosts :)
Hey... my mamma (Italian) raised me to never let anyone leave your home hungry or thirsty! A full stomach produces a happy soul!:)

majorloser

majorloser

Live and Learn

Geez, now Gene want's me to acoustically treat my whole house before next time :eek:

It may not have been the perfect venue for audio comparisons, but you're not going to find very many wives that will say "Yes" when pitched the idea to do that to their home.

I think Audioholics need's to build a dedicated acoustically treated banquet hall before the next meet. :D

I don't know how all of you guys were able to work out parking, but somehow you did. My neighbors and their guests were a few of the people at the party, so I knew we wouldn't have a problem with many complaints. But I do have some really nice people as neighbors. I didn't have much of a plan when I came up with this hair brained idea to hold the GTG. I just figured I might be able to squeeze three areas into my small home. Hindsight being 20/20, I guess it should have only been two areas for listening with the family room left for "meet and greet" discussions just to prevent the volume wars. Not that I'm complaining. Loud is good. And I guess I could have worked out an itinerary for the day's events, but I'm a typical guy. Me plan??? :confused:
And I could have made some arrangements for more rugs in the living/dining room area to help soften the room. I could have definitely used a rack like Emotiva brought just for audition gear. I should have made some sort of remote A/B switcher so we could do some comparisons easier.

Should of done this, should have done that, wish I could have done this...............

At the end of the day what it really came down to is you guys that showed up made the event happen. All I did was move furniture. Oh, but I did pick up the food and drink. So that's gotta be worth something. :cool:

So again, I thank all of you guys who came for helping out and making it an enjoyable day.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Dave and Yvette,

Thanks to you and everyone that have posted their thoughts and pictures of the event!

I was wondering if you (or anyone else here) would be willing to share with the rest of us a "Guide to a Good GTG"? You know, recommended things to do and not do. Some of that has been expressed here already, but it would nice to have your thoughts in one place - for those of us who may be considering holding our own local GTG. Granted, most of us won't be able to pull off a visit from an audio manufacturer :), but general tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Adam

ricocetj

ricocetj

Junior Audioholic
oops... thanks for the clarification.

what is your opinion on the dual HO's versus dual MF's?
The only material I caught on the HO's was some HD concerts that Dave was playing and that was at a moderate volume. They certainly sounded good. Unfortunately, I didn't get to take part in any real A/B between the two sets. I'm not sure if they did this later on while I wasn't in there? Perhaps one of the other guys can comment.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis