Take a old time gamer and insert 2 kids - PROBLEM

T

talmazor

Junior Audioholic
I've been a gamer for years, starting with my first pong system all the way to my playstation 2, then came the kids.

Now the kids are old enough to play the simpler games and I'm considering buying one the three newer units (Wii, XBOX 360 or PS3).

My inner gamer is saying PS3 because they have the best graphics on the market.

My economical side is saying Xbox 360 because it has the most games.

But the dad is me is saying Wii, because it's really the only system for a 2.5 and 5 year old.

What are you thoughts?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Wii for sure for the kids. Get yourself a PS3 ;) If you want a lot of games just for the kids, there's nothing wrong with the PS2, then they can grow into the PS3.

T

talmazor

Junior Audioholic
I noticed that most games are made for all three systems. Is there a big difference in the games, other than the level of graphics?

Matt34

Matt34

I noticed that most games are made for all three systems. Is there a big difference in the games, other than the level of graphics?

While the Wii lags behind in the graphics department compared to the PS3 and 360, I believe it's game selection is leaps and bounds better suited for younger kids. You'd be surprised, I think, at to how much fun you can have on the Wii also.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not really, IMO, though with the Wii, you have the added aspect of how the controls work in relation to the game (more interactive) - this can be very different than a PS3 or 360, but the games themselves aren't going to be dramatically different.

The added bonus of the PS3 is that you get a solid Blu-ray player with it :)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
We have a Wii, XBOX & PS2 and my 7 year old boy likes the PS2 the best. Tons of used titles for cheap is what I like. I haven't been able to talk myself into spending the money on a PS3 or XBOX 360 because of the limited titles for him.

The hand held Nintendo DS is very popular with kids and will play the GameBoy Advance games that can be had for cheap and are great for long car rides!:) (although you'll end up buying more than one system with more than one child)

If I was starting from scratch with young kids...I'd go a Wii

SBF1

T

talmazor

Junior Audioholic
My kids, even the 2 year old, have played Wii sports and I'm amazed that they can pick it up and really play the games so easily.

The issue I have with both the PS3 and Xbox 360, is that even if the games were there for younger players, the controller doesn't fit their small hands.

On a side note, I'm also considering setting up a computer stocked with all the classic arcade ROMS and an emulator, and running it through as one of the inputs on my home theater. I know the news games are fun and all, but you still can't beat a good game of PacMan or Street Fighter with an old school arcade joystick. Except, now I'll be sitting on my couch with it.

D

D.R. Payne

Audioholic
My wife & kids have the Wii and the PS2 upstairs, I have the PS3 down in the home theater. Many of the must-have XBox games are also on the PC, so I never had a compelling reason to own one of those. I can't wait till my son is old enough to play Street Fighter IV etc. with me on the PS3~!

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Go with the Wii

I've been a gamer for years, starting with my first pong system all the way to my playstation 2, then came the kids.

Now the kids are old enough to play the simpler games and I'm considering buying one the three newer units (Wii, XBOX 360 or PS3).

My inner gamer is saying PS3 because they have the best graphics on the market.

My economical side is saying Xbox 360 because it has the most games.

But the dad is me is saying Wii, because it's really the only system for a 2.5 and 5 year old.

What are you thoughts?
I am also a old old time gamer ... even before pong. Fid most of my playing on Atari 2600 and Atari 800 PC and Amiga 2000. Where is "Missle Command" ?
I even marketed some Atrai 800 games that I programmed.

My son is the new generation gamer: we have Xbox 360, PS2, PS3 and Wii active right now. We have a media room gaming room.

The Wii is pretty phenomenal with its sensor and controls. I think right now it is the best.

The PS3 is very good. If you are going to get it get the 80 gigbyte one which will run all PS2 games through software compatibility.

The Xbox 360 is so-so. And even though there are a lot of games , they still cost and the resolution just isn't as good as PS3 or Wii.

Good Luck!

M

Mw`

Junior Audioholic
Depends who will play it more ;) I have a PS3 on the way so I can't comment first-hand on anything but the 360. Not sure what the previous poster was referrring to resolution wise as both can output 1080p, but the game selection on the 360 is great (even for kids) and online is awesome. They're also rumored to drop the price on the pro-360 to $299.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The PS3 is very good. If you are going to get it get the 80 gigbyte one which will run all PS2 games through software compatibility.
Not ALL PS2 games, but 80% of them is still a large number of titles out of over 4000 games. Even the 60gig model only plays 90% of PS2 games.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
you're right

Depends who will play it more ;) I have a PS3 on the way so I can't comment first-hand on anything but the 360. Not sure what the previous poster was referrring to resolution wise as both can output 1080p, but the game selection on the 360 is great (even for kids) and online is awesome. They're also rumored to drop the price on the pro-360 to $299.
Sorry meant resolution on Wii

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis