RBH T-1 or 661-SE/R

majorloser

majorloser

Well, the decision was made and the order is placed:

Three T-1/R LCR
One pair 66-SE Side surrounds
One pair 61-SE Rear surrounds

Existing JL Audio Fathom 113 and Deftech SuperCube 1 sub (the DT will be upgraded to an older M&K I have or a second 113)

Hopefully will have them by next Friday...
Very nice choice. The T-1's are great speakers.
Just add the 1010-SE's later to kick it up to the T-3's :cool:
(Just sneak them in the house. The wife will never notice.)

T

thrang

Audioholic Intern
I received my set-up this past week (T-1/R LCR, 66-SE sides, 61-SE rears), and am in the final stages of calibrating and tweaking (been busy with some other things unfortunately...)

But the early impressions are very impressive...should be able to get some pictures up as well, along with a detailed review, perhaps later today.

majorloser

majorloser

I received my set-up this past week (T-1/R LCR, 66-SE sides, 61-SE rears), and am in the final stages of calibrating and tweaking (been busy with some other things unfortunately...)

But the early impressions are very impressive...should be able to get some pictures up as well, along with a detailed review, perhaps later today.
WE NEED PICTURES :)

Can't wait to see what veneer you picked. I've always been fond of the carpathian burl and the walnut burl.

T

thrang

Audioholic Intern
WE NEED PICTURES :)

Can't wait to see what veneer you picked. I've always been fond of the carpathian burl and the walnut burl.
You'll get pictures, but no special veneer - basic black was already out of budget!:)

T

thrang

Audioholic Intern
Some Photos

Here are some photos:

The bases for the L/R's are temporary - they are home built 3/4 inch MDF - I wanted to paint them a satin black to match, but Home Depot mis-cut some boards to the base is a little wide, and the painting looked like crap - so for now, they are wrapped in black fabric.

I've ordered a second JL Audio Fathom 113 - sitting on top of an Auralex GRAMMA isolation pad, they are almost the perfect height to sit the T-1/R's on top of - so when it comes in, the 113's will be the bases for the T-1's, facing the listening position.

I'll post a few more in a moment...

Last edited:
T

thrang

Audioholic Intern
A few more...

A few more photos...

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Nice setup! Actually you have the T1-SERs with Status driver upgrades. You will definately get an improvement adding the second sub. You may want to experiment with sub positioning. If you draw up a diagram of your room, perhaps I can make a few suggestions.

What are the inwalls on the front wall for?

T

thrang

Audioholic Intern
Actually you have the T1-SERs with Status driver upgrades.
Yes, I may have shorthanded it to T-1 in my last post, but I (and my credit card) are fully aware of the Reference option! :)

You will definately get an improvement adding the second sub. You may want to experiment with sub positioning. If you draw up a diagram of your room, perhaps I can make a few suggestions.
Will do, thanks - But I was thinking that it a) would be very convenient to use them under the T-1/R's as bases, and b) that placement mimics the position the 1010's would have occupied anyway. I also can leave a third sub in the rear of the room, an older M&K MX-100 12" dual push-pull to further even things out - and I'm using the Velodyne SMS-1 to help. But I'll throw a drawing up shortly, though I may be running out of upload space here in Audioholics...

What are the inwalls on the front wall for?
An older Elan whole-house audio distribution system...

T

thrang

Audioholic Intern
Gene - layout

Gene

Here's the layout:

Last edited:
F

fredk

Audioholic General
Thats a very nice setup you have there. I like the curtains you have set up.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but was unsure what the final result would look like. Your pics convinced me it will look very good (if I can pick out the right pattern for the inner curtains :rolleyes: ).

S

satish536

Audioholic
Frikn sweet setup.......... congratulations !
Another member to the RBH Sound fan club.

Im sooooo jealous:p

Nice power amp too.

satish

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Damn that is a super nice setup. I love the look of the RBH's without the grills.

T

thrang

Audioholic Intern
Thats a very nice setup you have there. I like the curtains you have set up.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but was unsure what the final result would look like. Your pics convinced me it will look very good (if I can pick out the right pattern for the inner curtains :rolleyes: ).
My wife helped on the curtains - can't take credit for :)...

T

thrang

Audioholic Intern
Damn that is a super nice setup. I love the look of the RBH's without the grills.
My son saw the pictures without the grills, and said he liked them that way as well. Being temporarily sexist, I said "I think you and I like it like that, but Mom and your sister won't..."

T

thrang

Audioholic Intern
Frikn sweet setup.......... congratulations !
Another member to the RBH Sound fan club.

Im sooooo jealous:p

Nice power amp too.

satish
Thanks - hope to spend some time with them this week as I'll be home recovering from some minor surgery....

J

jamie2112

Banned
YEAH buddy that looks amazing. Great job. I love the looks of the RBHs without the grills , sweet.:D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene

Here's the layout:
Wow nice diagram! What program did you use to render that?

I recommend checking out an article I wrote on connecting and calibrationg multi subwoofers:

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/subwoofer-connection-guide

Don't rely on the readout of the SMS-1 as it 1/3 octave smooths everything. You really need a good 1/24th octave or better RTA to get a clear picture of what is going on in your room.

It seems placing 2 subs along opposite midwalls is not an option in your room, so I think you're doing pretty well with the near diagonal placement you currently have. You may want to try moving the back sub to the opposite wall where the first sub is located just to experiment.

If you're gonna do 3 subs, I'd definately try placing 2 of them under your mains like a T2 system and the 3rd one on the back corner where you currently have your second sub.

You should run all the subs in mono via the sub out/lfe port of your receiver.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

T

thrang

Audioholic Intern
Wow nice diagram! What program did you use to render that?

I recommend checking out an article I wrote on connecting and calibrationg multi subwoofers:

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/subwoofer-connection-guide

Don't rely on the readout of the SMS-1 as it 1/3 octave smooths everything. You really need a good 1/24th octave or better RTA to get a clear picture of what is going on in your room.

It seems placing 2 subs along opposite midwalls is not an option in your room, so I think you're doing pretty well with the near diagonal placement you currently have. You may want to try moving the back sub to the opposite wall where the first sub is located just to experiment.

If you're gonna do 3 subs, I'd definately try placing 2 of them under your mains like a T2 system and the 3rd one on the back corner where you currently have your second sub.

You should run all the subs in mono via the sub out/lfe port of your receiver.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
The Fathom has a master/slave setup, connected via XLR, so their internal calibration mic/tool will adjust optimal phase and primary room mode reductions by analyzing both simultaneously. I would typically set that up before calibrating the SMS-1, but it seems you're not a fan of the SMS, or at least it's coarse readout...I do have a second ECM8000 and REW, but I was having a bit of time figuring out how use it. But if you're suggesting I'm simply using a real time graphing tool with higher resolution, and still playing test tones from the SMS, I think I can figure this out. Let know your thoughts here...

The diagram was done in Adobe Illustrator CS3

Thanks

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
how much did the T1/R's set you back? how much for a single or pair?

is there a big difference in price between them and the T1's? what about performance?

T

thrang

Audioholic Intern
how much did the T1/R's set you back? how much for a single or pair?

is there a big difference in price between them and the T1's? what about performance?
I received some excellent pricing (fully authorized dealer, no shady stuff!), but you rather keep that discussion offline...

Other's can correct me if I'm working but there is about a 40% upcharge to the reference line. The differences are in the drivers - the utilize drivers from (or very similar to) drivers from the Status Acoustic line (which itself is apparently undergoing some major line redesign) ScanSpeak tweeters instead of Vifa, and Status Acous mid-woofer with phase plugs - upgraded magnets, and I think improved crossovers as well (though not the Status Acoustic crossovers)

Sonically, the References are more neutral to my ears, chiefly because the ScanSpeak tweeters are designed to roll off a bit when compared to the Vifa's, which while very clear, can be a tad bright depending upon listening desires and room sonics. My room isn't the tamest, so this was beneficial for me.

I would think the fixed phase plugs help provide a much more natural upper midrange as, in vocal especially, though don't ask me the science behind it....:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis