Did You..........????

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hello forum members I have a few questions for all of you. Did any of you ever play an instrument when you were in school? If so, which instrument was it and did you ever march in your local high school band? Of those that did, did you go on to marching in DCI?? Lastly, any of you ever follow any of the BOA Regionals or Grand Nationals?? Any of you major in music and are currently teaching now?? Please feel free to elaborate.

I personally, started on the trumpet but later switched to the baritone. I also marched baritone and do keep up w/the BOA Regionals/Grand Nationals. Also still help with my local high school band since I am Alumni.

Cheers,

Phil

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I played the trumpet in the school band from 6th grade until 12th. I played for several years after high school on my own. 12 years total. I haven't played in 20 years.

Purchased a grand piano 3 years ago. Haven't played a note yet.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I played the trumpet in the school band from 6th grade until 12th. I played for several years after high school on my own. 12 years total. I haven't played in 20 years.

Purchased a grand piano 3 years ago. Haven't played a note yet.
That is very interesting Mazer. Did you ever march? Florida has some very good marching bands. Seems to be a bit more difficult to play the piano imho. I never learned bass clef but did play the baritone using treble clef. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Phil

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
That is very interesting Mazer. Did you ever march? Florida has some very good marching bands.
No marching. I went to school in NYC. Lucky we were even given instruments without beating one another with them. :eek:

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
No marching. I went to school in NYC. Lucky we were even given instruments without beating one another with them. :eek:
LOL........very funny. So, Mazer you are not from Florida originally? Why did you make such a move if you don't mind me asking? Marching was so much fun. Wished you could have done that. The memories of winning last a life-time.

Cheers,

Phil

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I played sax and clarinet in high school. I was in a couple marching bands, not school related marching bands. We didn't have that in schools here. It wasn't a drum corps either so we didn't do DCI, but we did compete and won the Canadian championship a few times. We also did a couple of Grey Cup half times, pre-game at the old Tigers Stadium, an Orange Bowl Parade and Disney's Main Street for their 10th anniversary. I did a lot of travelling with bands, from Montreal, Toronto, Kenosha WI to Miami FL.

I was also in the jazz/big band combo at school, plus a neat little polka/waltz band at the local German club. My high school music teacher couldn't attend our graduation, so I was enlisted to conduct the band at our graduation. My mom's photos of my graduation are of me in my graduation gown waving the baton conducting "Pomp and Circumstance".

Like so many others, I haven't picked up an instrument in over 20 years. All things considered, it was fun, but no way I was good enough to turn pro.

Matt34

Matt34

Piano for eight years, haven't really played much in the past 15 though.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I played sax and clarinet in high school. I was in a couple marching bands, not school related marching bands. We didn't have that in schools here. It wasn't a drum corps either so we didn't do DCI, but we did compete and won the Canadian championship a few times. We also did a couple of Grey Cup half times, pre-game at the old Tigers Stadium, an Orange Bowl Parade and Disney's Main Street for their 10th anniversary. I did a lot of travelling with bands, from Montreal, Toronto, Kenosha WI to Miami FL.

I was also in the jazz/big band combo at school, plus a neat little polka/waltz band at the local German club. My high school music teacher couldn't attend our graduation, so I was enlisted to conduct the band at our graduation. My mom's photos of my graduation are of me in my graduation gown waving the baton conducting "Pomp and Circumstance".

Like so many others, I haven't picked up an instrument in over 20 years. All things considered, it was fun, but no way I was good enough to turn pro.
Thanks Dave for posting. Like you, I really miss those times too. Have to admit, it was a lot of fun especially when your band took 1st place. Speaking of DCI, the Blue Devils are just unbelievable if you ask me. Who did you follow Dave?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Piano for eight years, haven't really played much in the past 15 though.
Hello Matt and thanks for posting. Even though you have not played in a while, I bet you could w/a little practice play again if you wanted to. I can read music quite well, but playing the piano seems to be harder to me. However, like most things in life-the more we experience the more we learn and hopefully the better we get by way of practicing.

Cheers,

Phil

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
I played Cello, Tuba and Drums but never marched, I was looking for some good Marching band recordings last year or so thinking some colleges may have recorded some pieces but not much luck. I really like to listen to the great sound from a tight marching band and its a fun visual but I suppose its a hard chore to record so there is not much out there. I know there are some DVD based recordings but I was more interested in 2 channel material.

Matt34

Matt34

Hello Matt and thanks for posting. Even though you have not played in a while, I bet you could w/a little practice play again if you wanted to. I can read music quite well, but playing the piano seems to be harder to me. However, like most things in life-the more we experience the more we learn and hopefully the better we get by way of practicing.

Cheers,

Phil
I really want to get back into it, at some point I will get a piano of my own. I would also like to learn how to play the gutair but it just seems now-a-days I have little to no time for such adventures.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Tenor saxophone from 7th grade to 9th. Just wasn't getting me the babes, so I switched to drums. :D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I played Cello, Tuba and Drums but never marched, I was looking for some good Marching band recordings last year or so thinking some colleges may have recorded some pieces but not much luck. I really like to listen to the great sound from a tight marching band and its a fun visual but I suppose its a hard chore to record so there is not much out there. I know there are some DVD based recordings but I was more interested in 2 channel material.
Hello Chad and thanks for posting. One good site you may want to check out is msconcepts.com. There are many shows already written but my favorite is called "Reflections" by Richard Saucedo. The music is awesome and the drill is so very cool. I believe it is under Grade 6 which is the most difficult level. My local hs band did this show a couple of years back and did quite well. Wished you had of marched though.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I really want to get back into it, at some point I will get a piano of my own. I would also like to learn how to play the gutair but it just seems now-a-days I have little to no time for such adventures.
Matt, I can truly relate to the time issue. It seems like the days are just not long enough with so much to do. I have always wanted to learn the guitar myself. I am left-handed and most places that offer lessons usually have a right-handed instructor. Maybe some day I will learn the bass. Good luck on your piano endeavors.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Tenor saxophone from 7th grade to 9th. Just wasn't getting me the babes, so I switched to drums. :D
LOL........I hear ya. Guess, Neil Pert must have a slew of women then eh? Just hope he gives lessons...........LOL!!!!! :p:p BTW, did you ever march any?

Cheers,

Phil

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
I did date a woman who dotted the Ohio State "I" when she marched, not much point in me posting that but its kinda cool.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thank Phil I am gonna check it out!
No problem Chad. I would post a link but every time I try it seems to get all messed up. Also, the Robin Hood soundtrack music is fantastic from the get-go. You may wanna check it out.

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis