rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Those do look sexy! Did they use a different tweeter in the studio2's, looks different?
Yes, the Ultima2 (including drivers) were a ground up re-design. The tweeter is beryllium dome type with a wave guide that "matches the tweeter's directivity to that of the mid bass driver at the crossover region". The tweeter may be the secret sauce that provides the additional clarity I'm noticing with the Studio2. I liked the unusual;) look of the Studio1 but agree the new Ultima’s are beautiful ... and the pictures don't do them justice.

I'm sorry to disappoint Mike but the Fathoms and these Ultima’s will be staying in my HT for a long while.:D:cool:

BTW Matt, are you home now?

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
what's the difference between the studio1's to studio2's?

i wish you had 220v stuff ... i could be happy snapping up all the "obsolete" stuff you get by "upgrading" every 2 days.

(let me know if you plan to replace one of your F113's :) )
I've got dibs on a F112. :D Remember I'm only 15 minutes away.

RMK, You should have called me, I would have helped you carry the 2's upstairs, and the 1's into my van. ;)

W

westcott

Audioholic General
The studio I's are good looking speakers but when you place the Studio II's next to them, there is no comparison. The Studio II's look far more refined with clean lines, sleek style, and just more elegant overall. Congratulations!!!

A really sweet setup!

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
rmk,

Those are some gorgeous looking speakers you have. I bet they sound amazing. Congrats to you on your new speakers.:) And I have to agree with wescott, you have a very sweet setup! Thanks for sharing.

Seth

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Thanks fellas:D

Seth, I think those ML's of yours take the prize for coolest looking speakers I have seen on this forum. That Center is really something.:cool:

Here are a couple more pics.
So whatdaya think, without grilles?

Or with em?

Or maybe this

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
RMK! as stated on the other forum, simply a sweet setup buddy....

Could I possibly bug you to take a closeup pic of the tweeter on the new Studio2's...

As much as I love my F112, 2 of them would be great, but you really went top notch by mixing the F112's and the F113's.... getting a bit more growl in the lower end with the F113's and more upper end punch with the F112's, its got to be spectacular.... I'll bet the mix really gives you an amazingly smooth response...

Way to go buddy...

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief

Could I possibly bug you to take a closeup pic of the tweeter on the new Studio2's...

As much as I love my F112, 2 of them would be great, but you really went top notch by mixing the F112's and the F113's.... getting a bit more growl in the lower end with the F113's and more upper end punch with the F112's, its got to be spectacular.... I'll bet the mix really gives you an amazingly smooth response...

Way to go buddy...
Thanks Warpdrv:), I will take a closeup pic of the tweeter tonight and post here.

The quad Fathoms are amazing at pressurizing the room and having the F113's nearfield behind the sectional provides all the tactile LFE I need/want. So yes, smooth response and lots of headroom. I finally have the speakers to where I have always wanted to be.

The electronics will be my upgrade outlet in the future.:D;)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I've got dibs on a F112. :D Remember I'm only 15 minutes away.

RMK, You should have called me, I would have helped you carry the 2's upstairs, and the 1's into my van. ;)
Hey Rick, good to hear from you. Don't hold your breath on that F112 ... them's keepers:p. You will have to come over for a listen. Bring your check book and the S1's are all yours.:cool:;)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief

Here are a couple of up-close pictures of the tweeter/mid-bass driver.

Actually the mid-bass driver pictured is not working due to shipping damage. The driver is fine but a coil on the crossover has broken off and the speaker needs repair or replacement. That means more shipping and so it goes.:rolleyes:

Just to torture myself, here is another picture of my nearly working, almost perfect system.:mad:

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Not wanting to ship the speakers and risk further damage, I tackled the repair myself. It was actually fairly simple with only one wire to solder and re-attaching the coil to the board. Buttoned it up and the speaker is working great. I did a quick level balance, put on some music and was floored by the imaging and sound stage of the Studio2's:eek::):D:cool:.

I didn’t have a lot of time to spend listening as I also had to do some cable changing and pack up the Studio1’s to get them on their way to their new home.

I need to sit down and spend a quiet afternoon with the Studio2's to really get a handle on what I am hearing but at first blush, they really are a significant upgrade from the Studio1's. I hope they (like the Fathoms) will be a fixture in my HT for a long time. More pics:

Covers off

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
beautiful! at least you remembered to remove the fathom grills this time :)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Regarding the Studio2’s (and Voice2) HT performance, we watched the BR of 28 Weeks Later last night. This very gory horror flick has an outstanding DTS Master HD sound track with lots of helicopters, explosions, gunfire and screaming virus ridden zombie people (leave the kids out of this one). Amid the AV chaos this film presents, the actor’s voices were always clear and full intelligible (a real tribute to the Voice2).

My fiancé and I spent the better part of an hour after the film discussing the audio. She loves the HT and literally gushes at the visceral impact that the new Revel quad Fathom combo provides especially with well mixed lossless audio sound tracks. Personally, I attribute much of this to the room and room treatments as we are able to achieve incredible dynamics and bass impact at much lower overall volume levels. I ran 28 Weeks Later at -8 from ref last night and from the opening 20th Century Fox fanfare to the closing credits music, we just sat there transfixed occasionally looking at each other smiling.

Earlier in the evening, I locked myself in the room and listened to Lyle Lovett’s Joshua Judges Ruth. Besides Lovett’s interesting voice and phrasing, this CD is very well recorded and runs the gamut from quiet acoustic, full blown country rocker while mixing in some gospel choir. This has been one of my audition standards and it represents a challenge to the dynamic capabilities of any loudspeaker. The Studio2’s handled this recording better than any speaker I have heard. In fact (and I know it sounds clichéd) but I heard more of the subtle details and really enjoyed the music of this CD more than ever before.

I ran the Studio2’s in Stereo mode and played with and without subwoofer. I admit that I much preferred the overall sound with the Fathoms playing. I have them well integrated and level matched and what they bring to the party for both HT and music is both satisfying and addictive. I suppose having four subs seems like overkill to many (especially 2 channel purists) but done right in the right room it is magical. I say that knowing there is still room for improvement acoustically in my system.

I hate to continue to resort to clichés but for me, it really is all about balance. My Studio2 based system has that balanced quality with loads of headroom and is capable of incredible dynamics. How else do you describe something subjective as audio?

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Thanks fellas:D

Seth, I think those ML's of yours take the prize for coolest looking speakers I have seen on this forum. That Center is really something.:cool:

Here are a couple more pics.
So whatdaya think, without grilles?

Or with em?

Or maybe this
Thank you for that wonderful compliment.:) Your speakers are pretty darn cool looking as well.;) Very elegant. The with covers off look is awesome! Love your new speakers, and I'll bet they sound amazing!

Thanks for treating us with the pix.

Seth

Matt34

Matt34

Regarding the Studio2’s (and Voice2) HT performance, we watched the BR of 28 Weeks Later last night. This very gory horror flick has an outstanding DTS Master HD sound track with lots of helicopters, explosions, gunfire and screaming virus ridden zombie people (leave the kids out of this one). Amid the AV chaos this film presents, the actor’s voices were always clear and full intelligible (a real tribute to the Voice2).

My fiancé and I spent the better part of an hour after the film discussing the audio. She loves the HT and literally gushes at the visceral impact that the new Revel quad Fathom combo provides especially with well mixed lossless audio sound tracks. Personally, I attribute much of this to the room and room treatments as we are able to achieve incredible dynamics and bass impact at much lower overall volume levels. I ran 28 Weeks Later at -8 from ref last night and from the opening 20th Century Fox fanfare to the closing credits music, we just sat there transfixed occasionally looking at each other smiling.

Earlier in the evening, I locked myself in the room and listened to Lyle Lovett’s Joshua Judges Ruth. Besides Lovett’s interesting voice and phrasing, this CD is very well recorded and runs the gamut from quiet acoustic, full blown country rocker while mixing in some gospel choir. This has been one of my audition standards and it represents a challenge to the dynamic capabilities of any loudspeaker. The Studio2’s handled this recording better than any speaker I have heard. In fact (and I know it sounds clichéd) but I heard more of the subtle details and really enjoyed the music of this CD more than ever before.

I ran the Studio2’s in Stereo mode and played with and without subwoofer. I admit that I much preferred the overall sound with the Fathoms playing. I have them well integrated and level matched and what they bring to the party for both HT and music is both satisfying and addictive. I suppose having four subs seems like overkill to many (especially 2 channel purists) but done right in the right room it is magical. I say that knowing there is still room for improvement acoustically in my system.

I hate to continue to resort to clichés but for me, it really is all about balance. My Studio2 based system has that balanced quality with loads of headroom and is capable of incredible dynamics. How else do you describe something subjective as audio?
You know what rmk, after oogling over your speakers for some time now and reading reviews(many of which claim that the Studio2's are the best speakers they had ever reviewed.) I began looking at what Revel made in my price range and am now considering the Concerta F12 floorstanders after reading some very favorable reviews and measurements.

I think I may run into a problem finding a dealer in Tucson though.

Last edited:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
You know what rmk, after oogling over over your speakers for some time now and reading reviews(many of which claim that the Studio2's are the best speakers they had ever reviewed.) I began looking at what Revel made in my price range and am now considering the Concerta F12 floorstanders after reading some very favorable reviews and measurements.

I think I may run into a problem finding a dealer in Tucson though.
Hi Matt,

Everything I have read about the Concerta's has been very positive. Check your PM's.:)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Here are a couple more pics (can you tell I'm psyched about the room:p)

This is the latest SMS-1 room response graph. The quad subs give me gobs of head room. I am even employing the Fathoms ELF Trim feature with a 3db cut @ 25Hz. This is taken from the sweet spot but the graph holds up well across all four primary seating positions.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
I want to have sex in your room with the Topgun theme blasting through your speakers. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis