Espresso Machines Recommendations

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I am interested in buying a espresso machine for home use. I am thinking of pulling the trigger on the Saeco Aroma. I want something that is well made and will make a decent espresso, latte, cappuccino etc. I am looking for input in where to go from here. The one I mentioned above seems like a decent machine and will fit my purpose but I am still on the fence about it. I would greatly appreciate any input from people that have experiences with these machines (any brand) and any thoughts on any other machines that you like. You can share your techniques as well that you think makes a better espresso:D:).

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Which model of the Aroma are you considering? The 00347 model reviews at Amazon imply quality problems with that model and poor customer service from the company. The reviews make me think that it might not be what you want if you're going after something that is well made. The 30013 model faired better in the reviews, but there were still mentions of poor customer service from the manufacturer.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Which model of the Aroma are you considering? The 00347 model reviews at Amazon imply quality problems with that model and poor customer service from the company. The reviews make me think that it might not be what you want if you're going after something that is well made. The 30013 model faired better in the reviews, but there were still mentions of poor customer service from the manufacturer.
It is the 30013 model Saeco Aroma I am looking at and it will come included with a 12pc cup and saucer, 12 oz stainless steel milk warmer and a package of coffee, they offer free shipping from the store I was planning on buying it from too. I have never owned a expresso machine before so I am wondering if there are better alternatives for the price.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I have had my Saeco Easy superautomatic machine for over a year and I am still very happy with it. It is used multiple times daily and has performed flawlessley. It makes excellent espresso very quickly and the steamer function works well.

J

jamie2112

Banned
I have a nice Delonghi that makes everything for 140 and I am very happy with it. I had a saeco and it took a dump on me after about 4 months. But it looked cooler than the Delonghi:D

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I still use the old-fashioned stove top method with my trusty coffee-maker from Naples, Italy.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
hey fellow espresso addicts. I use a Spidem Villa. It works fine, rather simple. A little fidgety. Operation is very loud compared to some others.

FYI, the Time magazine from late May has a tech article on the Francis Francis X7 ($395). I have the article in front of me that I just grabbed from the bathroom. Andrea Illy (company owner) says that the X7 has a unique, two-stage process: hot water is injected into a chamber and infuses the coffee grounds until it reaches the proper pressure, then a valve opens, and a jet of espresso pours out.

Anyways, I don't recommend the capsule kind. My parents used to have a Nespresso, and the costs of those capsules add up.

TBH, I have seen better machines than my Villa. Sometimes you have to fidget a bit with tray, "grinds-catcher", etc for the machine to put on the green light. If you are out of water, or beans, it doesn't "know" and tries to keep going for a little while. It also doesn't know when the grinds are full. Some other high-end ones "know", and can also do multiple shots at the same time.

Outside of the auto-grind, I am no-frills, no capuccinos, no milk, no steam, just espressos. I got this after calling some places, asking for pure reliability only (outside of grinding). This was one of the two recs I got, but I can't remember the other brand+model. Unfortunately, I don't research some other purchases nearly as much as I do with AV equipment!! :rolleyes:

oh, I don't know if all espresso machines squirt just a tad of water at first, moment's pause, then fills the rest... but that is what is recommended for best espresso.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Here's my Espresso, Cappuccino machine :D

Miele

jinjuku

jinjuku

My business partner has a Saeco. It leaks like a sieve. My buddy at his plastic surgery clinic also has a Saeco, it also leaks like a sieve.

From what I have seen: Stay away. If I get an espresso machine, it will be the manual type.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
For all things coffee I strongly recommend Sweet Marias.com. Here is the link to his espresso machines.
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.espresso.shtml

If Tom sells it you can be sure it's good (but not necessarity cheap). I get unroasted beans through them and roast my own which makes coffee a whole new world. This website has about as much advice on coffee as AH does on audio and it is just as solid.

I strongly suggest getting a roaster and roasting your own beans. The flavor difference is akin to going from Bose to ...pick your favorite high end speaker.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I would recommend against the Saeco, I own 1 and I like the machine, but It broke just after a year, and I have had 3 friends buy 1 as well, and theirs broke shortly after warranty was up...

When they work, they work really well, and make great espresso or even just cups of coffee, but obviously YMMV.

Mazer what brand built in is that machine, looks awesome and I wouldn't mind something like that... :)

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
It seems reliability is an issue with a lot of different makes and models of espresso machines. What to do? What to do?

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
Mazer, between your HT and espresso machine if you ever need someone to house sit just drop me a line :D

MinusTheBear, check out http://www.coffeegeek.com/ for some good info. What grinder do you have or what are you planning on buying? If you use a blade grinder or cheap burr it's going to severely limit your ability to produce a good espresso. Personally I have the Maestro Plus which most folks consider the minimum for espresso.
A couple makers to consider in your price range: Gaggia 35008 Carezza and Breville 800ESXL

I fully agree with Dan about SweetMarias, great coffee and good info.

Personally, I find grinding my own beans to be a much bigger factor in taste than home roasting. BUT, I'm still a novice so perhaps it's just a matter of my skill (lack of) than what home roasting can unlock. Local roasting is becoming much more popular so if you don’t want to take that plunge try finding one.

/Just popped a few beans from my batch yesterday…hmmm nutty coco
//am I weird for eating them???
///I love a site where I can agrue about AV and coffee :cool:

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Mazer, between your HT and espresso machine if you ever need someone to house sit just drop me a line :D

MinusTheBear, check out http://www.coffeegeek.com/ for some good info. What grinder do you have or what are you planning on buying? If you use a blade grinder or cheap burr it's going to severely limit your ability to produce a good espresso. Personally I have the Maestro Plus which most folks consider the minimum for espresso.
A couple makers to consider in your price range: Gaggia 35008 Carezza and Breville 800ESXL

I fully agree with Dan about SweetMarias, great coffee and good info.

Personally, I find grinding my own beans to be a much bigger factor in taste than home roasting. BUT, I'm still a novice so perhaps it's just a matter of my skill (lack of) than what home roasting can unlock. Local roasting is becoming much more popular so if you don’t want to take that plunge try finding one.

/Just popped a few beans from my batch yesterday…hmmm nutty coco
//am I weird for eating them???
///I love a site where I can agrue about AV and coffee :cool:
I guess I was grinding OK before I started roasting so to me the roast is the big deal. Or maybe it's the better grade beans and the freshness which go with home roasting. I agree there is more to it than roast including the water and temperature. Espresso adds a number of variables I am less familiar with but here is more than you may want to know about it:http://www.sweetmarias.com/espresso-general1.html

As I've said, he generally really knows what he is talking about. Sweet Marias sells blends and single crops well suited for espresso roasts as well as some he roasts himself.

I've been to a roaster about 45 min away, but it's too far to go regularly and after 1 week the taste degrades noticably. I roast 1/4 lb once a week.

Audio, coffee and bar be que! My three hobbies!

"Starbucks is the Bose of coffee."

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
Last night I had a cup of SweetMarias Decaf Donkey espresso blend made in a French press that had been roasted the day before. I can honestly say it was the best cup of decaf I've ever had. Usually decaf is lacking in flavor and body, but that stuff was great. If I hadn't roasted/brewed it myself i would have thought there was sweetener in it.
I don't mention this to boast, but as props to SM for all their time and effort they put into selling only the best coffee.

Home roasting doesn't really take any special equipment and only takes ~15 min a batch. I've roasted batches in the oven on cookie sheets and on the stove top in a skillet. Personally I'm getting better results in the skillet, but YMMV.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
So what would you guys recommend then between $200 - $400?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis