Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
A blast from the past, indeed! I remember when premium got up to $1.75 back in the late 90s and it seemed pretty harsh. I paid $3.68 for it last Thursday, and Tucson has some of the cheapest gas in the states right now.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Funny how perspective changes in just a few short years... :eek:

Man, I would die to see $1.80/gal at the pump these days, what would we have all thought back then, if someone had told us that in four years you all will be paying $4.00/gal for gas?? :eek:

I just filled up my Ford Explorer on Saturday - I continue to set new records on most money spent in a single fill-up, every time I pull in. :(

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
My perspective hasn't changed. I've been angry about gas ever since it went over a buck a gallon. I just keep getting angrier every day now.

Makes me sick. Took us almost 100 years to get past the $1 per gallon point and now in less than a decade or so, we've quadrupled that.

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
$4.29/gallon last night when I filled up. Are we going to over $5.00 a gallon by summer time?:mad:

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah the gas companies like to play games with us consumers. Say gas goes down to $3.50, then everyone will say gas is cheap.....:eek::eek::eek:.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah the gas companies like to play games with us consumers. Say gas goes down to $3.50, then everyone will say gas is cheap.....:eek::eek::eek:.
Well, nobody can say that oil isn't at an all time high either, so considering how much oil has gone up, I'd say $4 isn't that bad because it could be a lot worse. I'm certain it will go up before it goes back down, but as you mentioned, it will go down and still be higher than it was before. I thought $4/gal would be the breaking point where you actually started to see people try to drive less, but I haven't really seen it myself. I personally have reduced the number of trips I make if I don't have to. I have always tried to combine trips, but I still have to go the same distance. Heck, it is even costing a lot to mow the lawn now....

N

niget2002

Junior Audioholic
Well, nobody can say that oil isn't at an all time high either, so considering how much oil has gone up, I'd say $4 isn't that bad because it could be a lot worse. I'm certain it will go up before it goes back down, but as you mentioned, it will go down and still be higher than it was before. I thought $4/gal would be the breaking point where you actually started to see people try to drive less, but I haven't really seen it myself. I personally have reduced the number of trips I make if I don't have to. I have always tried to combine trips, but I still have to go the same distance. Heck, it is even costing a lot to mow the lawn now....
I've started seeing a few people change their lifestyles to cut down on gas. I've had two friends go buy little scooters for their quick trips or to/from work. I've had other friends talk about waiting until Saturday and then going to the stores and buying everything they need for the next week.

Personally, I do all my food shopping on the way home from work instead of going back out.

I've always ridden motorcycles, so that helps a lot, but the wife and I have started taking my car more than her XL7 when we're going for stuff that won't fit on the bike.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
If gasoline keeps on rising in the united states, you could potentially see a black market emerge for gasoline

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
While we in America were paying too little for too long when compared to the rest of the world it is a bit out of hand now, we are be conditioned to think $3.00-$3.50 per gallon is a deal and at this rate it will be in short order, Factor in the Hurricane season just starting and it gets real scary, one big storm that doesnt affect our mainland could send gas to well over $5.00 per gallon in a few short days. People are finally re-thinking how they drive and that is a good thing, mass transit is up and many workers are going with a 4 day work week option......all these are good long term solutions and the death of the "big trucks are cool" lifestyle is closing quickly, another change I welcome.........our greed and inattentive nature to the big picture led us all down the road we are now on, we showed for years we didnt care what it cost because we wont give up our lifestyle, it looks like we were all full of sh^* but sadly it had to get way out of hand for folks to cry foul.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If gasoline keeps on rising in the united states, you could potentially see a black market emerge for gasoline
Not sure about that since the base price is still relatively high...However I have heard numerous reports in the news about people drilling into tanks to steal gas already.

Fortunately, I have a fairly short commute (~4 miles) so I can use some alternatives. My girlfirend has been taking the train to work since IBM actually gives them access to all public transportation free as well as a shuttle from the nearby stations to the office. She has been using this off and on over the year, and has been doing it more lately due to the increasing prices and the fact that her commute is far longer than mine.

And the BBQ......refilled my 5 gallon propane spare last weekend and it was $18.
I filled mine up a few weeks ago and it was $16, which is what it was last year. Propane is a byproduct so I wouldn't expect it to jump in price, but it does have to be transported as well.

G

gsilas2007

Enthusiast
Gotta love my baby :)

40 MPG...and can still do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds when I choose to. Music to my ears? I think so.

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
Gotta love my baby :)

40 MPG...and can still do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds when I choose to. Music to my ears? I think so.

My Suzuki GSXR 750 will beat that bike in a heartbeat. But I gave up on it a while ago. Too many disavantages on bike. Yes, advantage on GAS, traffic and easy to park..That's it.

Disavantages:

Accident, fumes, dust, heat, cold, rain, snow, passengers, loads (can't buy a lot groceries or load some satellite BOSE speakers), noise(hearing loss), you have to wear a helmet to cruise, getting stuck on a red light at night cause road sensors cannot sense the lightweight bike, easier to steal, etc, etc.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Why are we paying these gas prices? Why are we going to lay down and allow economic collapse?

G

gsilas2007

Enthusiast
My Suzuki GSXR 750 will beat that bike in a heartbeat. But I gave up on it a while ago. Too many disavantages on bike. Yes, advantage on GAS, traffic and easy to park..That's it.

Disavantages:

Accident, fumes, dust, heat, cold, rain, snow, passengers, loads (can't buy a lot groceries or load some satellite BOSE speakers), noise(hearing loss), you have to wear a helmet to cruise, getting stuck on a red light at night cause road sensors cannot sense the lightweight bike, easier to steal, etc, etc.
No doubt a 750 should beat a 600, but I REALLY did not want a gixxer, and the cbr had just too many things I liked better than other brands. I agree with all of your disadvantages (except snow, I dont have to deal with it personally here in CA). With how many bad drivers there are on the road its getting to the point now where I usually just ride to hit the twisties...getting really addicted to learning all that stuff.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
1.33/L right now. Put 38 liters in the civic and it was $50. Why are you guys complaining? If you can't afford to run something, don't own it. I can't afford to run a house, that's why I live at home.

SheepStar

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
It is scary to see that the post that started this thread was complaining about $1.80/gal. Where I live, it is now $3.75 and rising!:eek:

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
While we in America were paying too little for too long when compared to the rest of the world it is a bit out of hand now, we are be conditioned to think $3.00-$3.50 per gallon is a deal and at this rate it will be in short order, Factor in the Hurricane season just starting and it gets real scary, one big storm that doesnt affect our mainland could send gas to well over $5.00 per gallon in a few short days. People are finally re-thinking how they drive and that is a good thing, mass transit is up and many workers are going with a 4 day work week option......all these are good long term solutions and the death of the "big trucks are cool" lifestyle is closing quickly, another change I welcome.........our greed and inattentive nature to the big picture led us all down the road we are now on, we showed for years we didnt care what it cost because we wont give up our lifestyle, it looks like we were all full of sh^* but sadly it had to get way out of hand for folks to cry foul.
Didn't you just mention driving an Envoy a day or two ago? So "death of big trucks are cool", eh?:eek:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44584&highlight=envoy

3rd/4th post down...

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
1.33/L right now. Put 38 liters in the civic and it was $50. Why are you guys complaining? If you can't afford to run something, don't own it. I can't afford to run a house, that's why I live at home.

SheepStar
I can't afford a more fuel efficient vehicle. I might be able to get a moped, but I would only be able to use it during nice weather. I need a car or some vehicle to get to work, it would take forever to get to work on a bicycle I might as well not sleep. Fact of the matter is, we shouldn't have to try go get the most fuel efficient vehicle to survive, fuel shouldn't cost as much as it does. Unfortunately here in the states there are 40 senators that shoot down every proposal to build power plants that use wind, water, or the sun as a means to get power. They also stop alternative fuels on cars that would be cost effective. Ethanol is a joke.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis