Onkyo TX-SR605 Protection Circuit Help

N

newtype

Audiophyte
I recently hooked up an Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver hooked up to five speakers and a subwoofer. (The speakers and subwoofer are also Onkyo from an older HTIB system: skc-100, skf-100, skm-100, skw-100, etc.) Sources are a Panasonic BD-10A, Toshiba HD-A3, and older Sony DVD/VCR combo. I hooked the hi-def players up to the receiver via HDMI and the receiver to the tv via an HDMI-to-DVI cable.

At any rate, the system worked fine for about a month, but the other night the receiver would turn off just seconds after being powered up. A check in the manual tells me that if the receiver "turns off as soon as it's turned on" then "the amp protection circuit has been activated". The only suggestion is to contact my Onkyo dealer or service center immediately.

The receiver won't stay on even after I disconnected all speaker wire and other connectors. I can't think of any particular triggering event. The last time we used the system everything played fine. No other components in the system show any sign of damage. I hooked everything back up to the old receiver (also an Onkyo) and all the speakers seem fine. We weren't running the speakers at max volume or anything either.

I called Onkyo and their best recommendation is to ship it to the service center (they'll cover shipping back to me but not shipping to them). While we've only been using the receiver consistently for a month, we've owned it for more like three months, so there's no real hope of exchanging it at the store. Before I send the receiver off to Colorado (their closest service center to northern California), I though I'd ask if anyone had any other suggestions? Anything else I should try? There doesn't seem to be any way to reset the protection switch to see if it gets tripped again or just works fine.

Thanks in advance...

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The last page of the manual describes the procedure to reset the microprocessor.

I would try the following sequence before resorting to the service center:
1. Unplug the receiver from the wall outlet.
2. Totally disconnect all cables and speaker wires.
3. Wait a few minutes and then turn on the receiver and perform the reset procedure.
4. If it stays on, power down again (standby) and reconnect the speaker wires. Make sure that there are no stray wires touching the chassis of the receiver or each other as that will cause a short and will definitely trip the protection circuit.

If it continues to shutdown then you may have no other option but to send it to the service center. The receivers that come with the HTIB systems are very similar to the 50x models so I doubt that the speakers that came with the old system are low impedance but you might want to check that as well. The 605 can deal with 6 ohm speakers but 4 ohm speakers may give it trouble.

N

newtype

Audiophyte
Thanks for the quick reply, MDS!

The speakers are all 8 ohm. (The old receiver is the HT-R500 and the HTIB system the Onkyo HT-S650.)

I tried doing the procedure you suggest but unfortunately it still shuts off after just a few seconds. I tried reseting all the settings (the manual tells me to hold the VCR button and then hit standby), but while the receiver says "clear", it still turns off almost immediately. I can't find any other way to reset it in the manual.

So no dice yet.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for the quick reply, MDS!

The speakers are all 8 ohm. (The old receiver is the HT-R500 and the HTIB system the Onkyo HT-S650.)

I tried doing the procedure you suggest but unfortunately it still shuts off after just a few seconds. I tried reseting all the settings (the manual tells me to hold the VCR button and then hit standby), but while the receiver says "clear", it still turns off almost immediately. I can't find any other way to reset it in the manual.

So no dice yet.
Your receiver has a major component failure. This will not be solved without service.

N

newtype

Audiophyte
Your receiver has a major component failure. This will not be solved without service.
That's what I was afraid of, but I was hoping it was something else.

I just wish I could pinpoint why it stopped working. I'm thinking it was probably a defective part from the get-go since we've used it so little. I'm kicking myself for not setting it up earlier or waiting to buy it (but life doesn't always cooperate).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That's what I was afraid of, but I was hoping it was something else.

I just wish I could pinpoint why it stopped working. I'm thinking it was probably a defective part from the get-go since we've used it so little. I'm kicking myself for not setting it up earlier or waiting to buy it (but life doesn't always cooperate).
You need equipment and service knowledge to know what caused the failure. It is almost certainly failure of a solid state output device or a power supply component.

One of the highest times of failure of solid state devices is when they are new. The old and the new are generally the failure times. The early causes are usually a minute impurity in the solid state material itself, which leads to premature failure.

The other factor is the new lead free RoHS compliant solder. The EEC effectively forced the abandonment of good lead free solder in anything manufactured after June 06. This solder sprouts tin whiskers which causes a significant number of failures of internal shorts on circuit boards.

N

newtype

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the info.

I went and searched for my receipt and its turns out that I'd actually had the receiver two months (not three). I went to Circuit City (where I had bought the receiver) and they were nice enough to let me return the TX-SR605 as defective. They didn't have the 605 anymore, so I got the TX-SR606 instead. I decided to plunk down the $15.99 for a three year warranty on it, since I could just drop it of CC instead of having to pay postage to mailing it to Onkyo.

So, all in all, things worked out well. I've now got four HDMI inputs to boot. No problems with the new receiver yet, but obviously I'll be keeping a close eye on it...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis