Good deal or not on B & O speakers?

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I am not sure I would buy any speakers from 1970. Speaker design and manufacture has come a long way since then. For $250 you could get a pair of Cambridge Audio S30s (or other modern bang-for-buck speakers), and my bet is that they would trounce those B&Os.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Are these what you're looking at?

I suspect vintage gear is just like used cars, consider age and condition. Do they sound $250 worth?

C

Captainmorgan89

Audioholic
I was thinking more along the lines of, profit ;)

Either way, it doesnt sound like these are hidden gems, so ill pass.

Thanks!

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Things wear out

Local guys is selling these, Says they are from 1970. Worth how much would you guys say?

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3897/01020701030201040620080im8.jpg

I personally think they are newer than that, they look exactly like the RL-7000's.

Thanks!

If they were RL-7000s they had a very high efficiency 93 dB and would work with almost any receiver. :) And BANG & OLUFSEN made and still makes excellent speakers. P.S. they also made the leading turntable ;)

However, they are almost 40 years old. material ages and becomes brittle, electronics degrade. I would hate to see a person get some good vintage speakers and then have them fail shortly after aquisition.

I would look at some newer speakers. If $250 is your price range then Joe Schmoe is right the Cambridge Audio S30 are excellent speakers. If you were just looking for a pbargin and $250 is not your price limt then there are other options. How much would you be willing to spend for good speakers?

Good Luck!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If they were RL-7000s they had a very high efficiency 93 dB and would work with almost any receiver. :) And BANG & OLUFSEN made and still makes excellent speakers. P.S. they also made the leading turntable ;)

However, they are almost 40 years old. material ages and becomes brittle, electronics degrade. I would hate to see a person get some good vintage speakers and then have them fail shortly after aquisition.

I would look at some newer speakers. If $250 is your price range then Joe Schmoe is right the Cambridge Audio S30 are excellent speakers. If you were just looking for a pbargin and $250 is not your price limt then there are other options. How much would you be willing to spend for good speakers?

Good Luck!
Those speakers wee not good for 1970. The B & O turntable was mediocre at best. The cream of the crop were offerings from Garrard, the 301 and 401 the rest of the Garrard range were rubbish, offerings from Thorens were excellent and also Goldring and Sugden. Perbetuum Ebner were also nice turntables back in the seventies.

Just look at what people will pay for a Garrard 301.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garrard-301-Grey-Hammertone-Transcription-Turntable-NR_W0QQitemZ270232920858QQihZ017QQcategoryZ48649QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think this one is over 50 years old. When you look at an item like this, I get really steamed about modern manufacture.

Here are my two.

http://mdcarter.smugmug.com/gallery/2424008_RKGvb#127077056_gUrCf

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
For $250 you could get a pair of Cambridge Audio S30s (or other modern bang-for-buck speakers) said:
trounce[/I] those B&Os.
whens the wedding:D

D

Duke silver

Audiophyte
I know I'm a bit late to this discussion (11 years) but the rl 7000 were from early 90s and as I own a pair I know they sound very good. Also they look identical to rl 60s and all other rl speakers so make sure ur...why am I even posting this

A

ATLjeffro

Audiophyte
I know I'm a bit late to this discussion (11 years) but the rl 7000 were from early 90s and as I own a pair I know they sound very good. Also they look identical to rl 60s and all other rl speakers so make sure ur...why am I even posting this
hey Duke, i read your ‘11 year too late’ post, and i think it was right on time ! RL7000’s are badass. I
only paid $150. I also have S75’s; S45-2; and RL35’s. I buy and sell a ton o gear. I stay away from very high priced gear. But I source what I think is great sounding gear for low$. And for my money and my racks I only use:
-the above B&O’s
-Canton
-NHT 1.3
-Epicure Model 3
I’ll hook up Cambridge and
Mission here and there.
i wanted to let you knowvyour post did not fall upon deaf eyes
peace

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers