Gas (Pricing) Is Getting Flatulent

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Ugh! Don't say that!
I know C, I cringe at the thought, but the governor has said that they'll roll back state fuel taxes if it gets out of control (whatever that means, it's out of control now) so he might know something and is slowly breaking the news to get us ready.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I know C, I cringe at the thought, but the governor has said that they'll roll back state fuel taxes if it gets out of control (whatever that means, it's out of control now) so he might know something and is slowly breaking the news to get us ready.
Both my vehicles get low gas milage. During the semester, I don't drive very much so it doesn't really bother me, but my commute to work is about 20minutes (no traffic, I communte from south to north) ... so the gas adds up in the summer. I get about 12-14mpg. :eek:

I have another SUV on order that doesn't get too great of milage, but, in South Florida I hate driving small cars. It just feels like a death trap. Just about everywhere else I'm fine, but, South Florida is just too crazy to be driving around in a little car. So, I pay the price (and the environment does too, admittedly). However, I'm pretty green about other stuff. I'm going to start buying food that is in season too, and also I've cut back on my meat intake, which has an even bigger impact on the environment than our cars and trucks.

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
$3.65 on the average for regular unleaded here in Tampa. Tomorrow, what you speak is frightening, but all too probable and realistic. Someone mentioned the trucking industry - which has already been hit very hard. Even if the average Joe can suck it up with the over-blown gas prices and still get around, what's going to help drive us to the brink is the impact on freight and goods hauling. We're all focused on regular gas, meanwhile diesel is the 800 pound gorilla in the room that not too many people are paying attention to. In many places it is well over four bucks a gallon and climbing steadily. I know of a few independent truckers who have already had to go out of business and take up work elsewhere, doing other things, because they lose money every time they go on the road.

I've got an SUV and filling up at the pump these days really is starting to make me wince. I've already been looking to trade-in for something more economical. It's crazy to think that gas was about $2.60 or so just one year ago. Seems like a different world already, and no end in sight. :(
You're right about the trucking business, Halon. Those guys are in trouble and are getting vocal about it. Regarding the diesel price...I don't understand. How does something that you do little to during production end up costing more than regular gas that requires all sorts of additives and manipulations?? :confused:

I surely hope I'm wrong about the possibilities for the world economy. A half-arsed economist would probably fire out a hundred reasons why I'm all wet...not the least of which are all the Fed guidelines/measures (e.g. the Federal Reserve powers, FDIC, etc.) put in place to avoid just such a return to a 1929 situation. But man...history sure does seem to be repeating here...just like a greasy taco on an empty stomach! :eek:

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
not the least of which are all the Fed guidelines/measures (e.g. the Federal Reserve powers, FDIC, etc.) put in place to avoid just such a return to a 1929 situation.
So you believe the same people that brought on the problems in 1929 (per the words of helicopter Ben Bernanke) are any more competant today? It's been a lot of their policy decisions that have put the wheels in (slow ;)) motion today..IMO

Mort (who'll take the greasy taco)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
...One last thing about oil. There has been zero press coverage (one wonders why!) on a huge, new oil reserve found right here in the good ol' USA. It's called the Bakken Oil Formation, primarily in (environmentally non-sensitive) North Dakota. It may not be as large as originally conceived, but it certainly could provide a huge respite from imported reliance. http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/next-energy-news2.13s.html The only problem...as S-man or Rickster (??) also pointed out, there are not enough refineries around. No new ones have been built for >20 years. Oil is seen as a dying fuel material. No one wants to invest those billions of bucks in something that will be obsolete in 20 years.
That is interesting. But, that discovery if made hugely public should drive oil prices down, alleviate the fear of short oil supplies, spite the OPEC's noses.
So, who IS holding the lid tight on this?
While refineries are important, supplies and stable supplies are just as important as fear and speculation on the commodity markets that is driving the spot market prices so high, not the lack of oil.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I say this with some trepidation, summer's right around the corner, when everyone takes to the roads (vacations, etc.), our governor has already said he'll cut back state tax on gas if it's out of control. I'll do a bit of guesstimating here, a gallon will be $5.00 (here in Florida) by end of August.

Here's something interesting:

http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/1054.html
And then what? People will cry TAX INCREASE when it returns to normal levels?
And, what are people expect to save over the summer period, $20 in taxes, $40?

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
I kind of hate the logic of "I drive a big car to be safer". To me whenever I hear someone say that it means "I would rather drive a bigger car than you so if we get in a wreck I want you to die instead of me".

While I technically wouldn't favor this sort of system it would be cool that if you were a bad driver [DUI / speeding / moving violations / wreckless conduct / etc.] that wouldn't be allowed to drive bigger cars. The worse driver you are the smaller the car you'd have to drive. This way if you're a bad driver maybe you kill yourself instead of taking other people with you.

Note: Every single person that I know that drives a big car is also a hazard on the road [for one reason or another] so my POV may be unique.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
I kind of hate the logic of "I drive a big car to be safer". To me whenever I hear someone say that it means "I would rather drive a bigger car than you so if we get in a wreck I want you to die instead of me".

While I technically wouldn't favor this sort of system it would be cool that if you were a bad driver [DUI / speeding / moving violations / wreckless conduct / etc.] that wouldn't be allowed to drive bigger cars. The worse driver you are the smaller the car you'd have to drive. This way if you're a bad driver maybe you kill yourself instead of taking other people with you.

Note: Every single person that I know that drives a big car is also a hazard on the road [for one reason or another] so my POV may be unique.
Since when driving a small car is a punishment? I drive a small car and I consider myself smarter than some others... not worst driver.

I agree with you on the big car mentality. It is no excuse. How many times I've seen a pickup in a crash vs a smart car in a crash? How much more dead can you be than dead? :p

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
And then what? People will cry TAX INCREASE when it returns to normal levels?
And, what are people expect to save over the summer period, $20 in taxes, $40?
Mtry,

Taxes on a gallon of gas, depending on the state can be as high as $.60 per gallon, 10 gallons saves you $6.00 bucks, so over the summer, depending what you drive, it can be quite a substantial amount.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
I guess we still have it pretty good, relatively speaking, on gas prices here in Upstate SC. I went by a station today in Spartanburg, SC, about 35 miles from the house and saw reg for $3.26. That is the lowest I have seen it in over a week. I paid $3.39 earlier today closer to home and thought that was about as good as I could get without driving 10 miles out of the way to save .04 a gallon.

I have been looking for another car to drive for work on the days I don't need my pickup. I was doing some figerin (Southern term;)) last week. I figured driving 18k a year with one car getting an AVERAGE of 25, which my Impala does, against a car that gets say, 20 mpg (or 30, if you rather). Doing the math, it comes out to 15 gallons per month difference. Not really all that much....unless gas hits $5 plus per gallon. It gets me that people run out and buy a car that gets 5, 6 or even 7 more miles to the gallon than what they drive, pay probably $20+k for it and think the gas savings will make the car payment:rolleyes: Whatever. I'm all for saving resources and helping the environment, but please, people; don't be stupid.

It reminds me of the few times it snows or ices around here. The Jeep and other truck dealers that have large inventories of 4wd vehicles will come and pick you up to go buy a vehicle from them. They open, no matter what. I have been sitting in a restaruant and actually heard people say they are waiting for the salesman to come pick them up. "I ain't gonna have no more problems gettin' around in the snow!" What an idiot. We are lucky to get one good snow a year.:rolleyes:

Another funny thing was the sales guy at the Dodge dealership. I was looking at Chargers and he trys to sell me a new one, obviously, when I told him I was looking for an '06. He says let's go look at the new ones. Maybe I can get you into one of those for the same money. Right. I tell him I want a v-6 and he can't believe I don't want the Hemi!:eek: When I tell him the obvious about the gas mileage he argues with me. We have a hard time finding a six banger, but the lot is FULL of Hemis. He says, "Man. It looks like about all we have are Hemis." To which I reply, "Gas is going to hit four bucks a gallon. Wonder why they are sitting around? After all, the gas mileage is about the same as the v-6s.:rolleyes: Before long, you guys will be paying US to TAKE a Hemi!"

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Those of you looking to trade because of gas don't forget. :D

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
That's exactly my thought process, but it's basically limited to the South Florida area. If I lived elsewhere (and I have), I wouldn't feel the need. Our streets are truly scary. Aggressive drivers, and drivers that simply don't even have a license. I would be okay with the state doing randomized pull-overs checking for licenses. That might put things back on track where I won't feel like I need to drive a tank around.

Not sure why you have that feeling. A lot of smaller cars tend to be safer in numerous ways.
Crash tests generally show smaller cars in a good light, because they are crashing into a wall. They have less energy to dissipate, since they are lighter (KE= 1/2m*v^2). However, in an actual accident, I'd like to be the guy with more weight (energy) and also some height to end up on top. I can't generalize and say a bigger car means a safer car, but when you see a accident between a big car and a little car (in South Florida, you see a lot of accidents), usually the guy they are wheeling into the ambulance is from the smaller car. I've also been spending a lot of time in hospitals the last few years due to a sick family member, and I've noticed doctors tend to drive SUVs .... hm... maybe nothing, but, they sure have seen a lot of car accident victims.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
and I've noticed doctors tend to drive SUVs .... hm... maybe nothing, but, they sure have seen a lot of car accident victims.
I'm sure that is purely status symbol. I doubt it has anything to do with accidents. After all they most likely aren't driving a Ford Explorer Sport SUV.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
I'm sure that is purely status symbol. I doubt it has anything to do with accidents. After all they most likely aren't driving a Ford Explorer Sport SUV.

Now why are you ticked at me and dragging me through the mud? Just what is wrong with my Explorer sport?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Just what is wrong with my Explorer sport?
Absolutely nothing other then it's a Ford. But that's for another thread. :eek::D

But in all fairness it's not what most (not all, but most) Dr's are driving.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
That is interesting. But, that discovery if made hugely public should drive oil prices down, alleviate the fear of short oil supplies, spite the OPEC's noses.
So, who IS holding the lid tight on this?
While refineries are important, supplies and stable supplies are just as important as fear and speculation on the commodity markets that is driving the spot market prices so high, not the lack of oil.
Not quite, Mtry. It is true that supply and demand economics are typical for a commodity. But the oil prices are set by the OPEC nations. They charge whatever the hell the want to charge for it. I believe the speculation you see is in gas 'futures'.

Nevertheless, the lid on this discovery is disturbing. We do need to wean ourselves off of non-renewable fossil fuels. But the lack of coverage of such a huge discovery evokes conspiracy theories, doesn't it?! I had to search like mad to try to verify this finding of many months (perhaps years) ago.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
They also found a huge field of Brazil's coast, it's a bit deep, but already the oil companies are lining up to see who gets the Brazilian contract.

Here read this:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/226/story/22225.html

I saw this back in December, it made national news.

Here's an update, fascinating:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601086&sid=aalWn.eJHGZk&refer=news
It looks like the Canadian oil sand fields will be cheaper to 'mine'. See this --> http://www.energy.gov.ab.ca/OilSands/oilsands.asp

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
Since when driving a small car is a punishment? I drive a small car and I consider myself smarter than some others... not worst driver.
You shouldn't think of it as a punishment but you should think of it as limiting the lethality of the weapon [car] some people operate.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis