Corolla vs. Elantra Dealer Markups

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I am shopping for a new car for my wife and if anybody knows the dealer markups on Toyotas and Hyundai’s I would appreciate your inputs.

I am looking at Corollas and Elantras because they are big enough to ride decent yet small enough to get good gas mileage. The Hyundai rates well in Consumer Reports reliability while the Corolla is impeccable in reliability. I have bought nothing but Toyotas since 1984 and have only had to replace brake pads for repairs.

The closest Toyota dealer is about 10 minutes from my house and the Hyundai dealer is about 30 minutes away from my house. The 2009 Corolla at $18,400 is about $3600 more than the discounted 2008 Elantra. The Elantra was stickered at $17K and I was offered a $1500 factory rebate plus $700 dealer discount resulting in a price of $14,800. I test drove the Elantra and it seems pretty good. I didn’t test drive the Corolla yet or try to dicker because I wanted to see how much money the Toyota dealer has to deal. I also want to see if I can get a better price out of the Hyundai dealer.

If you want, chime in on what you would pick and why.

jinjuku

jinjuku

How long do you typically keep a car? If you drive yours till they drop, then I would consider the Corolla. If you keep them for a shorter amount of time I don't know if the Corolla costing $3600 more will have appropriate resale value over the Hyundai.

I drive a car until it's done. $3600 may net you another 2-4 years of driving vs the Elantra. I would also try and get the price down.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Toyota's are overpriced these days and their cars are constructed cheaper by the year. They're simply starting to get greedy and cash in on their reputation like all companies do eventually. The Corolla is still a well-made care, but it's way overpriced. I used to drive Euro and Japanese cars exclusively, but I bought American for the first time 9 months ago. Never thought I would and never thought an American car offers bang-for-buck, but some have gotten their stuff together. I'd take a Mercury Milan/Ford Focus over a Corolla. Hyundai is a great car manufacturer and have really started making good cars. If it were between the Corolla and the Elantra, I'd save my money and take the Elantra.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the input. We will keep the car till it drops. I think there is about a 9% dealer markup on these cars pending better input. This would be about $1656 on the Corolla or and $1530 on the Elantra. Thus I would probably try for $1300 off the Corolla ($17,200) and $1200 of the Elantra ($14,300).

Does that sound reasonable?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Thanks for the input. We will keep the car till it drops. I think there is about a 9% dealer markup on these cars pending better input. This would be about $1656 on the Corolla or and $1530 on the Elantra. Thus I would probably try for $1300 off the Corolla ($17,200) and $1200 of the Elantra ($14,300).

It sounds worth a shot for sure. I would figure out what car I want and then go dealer shopping.

I know recently the the Koreans have really started to get their act together, but I have my doubts about the Hyundai being cheaper over all over the next 12-15 years vs. the Corolla. My wife has a 93 Corolla with 176K on it. Besides expected items: tires/battery/timing belt/brakes, only the front struts have been replaced. Car starts up even in the coldest weather here in MI.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I know recently the the Koreans have really started to get their act together, but I have my doubts about the Hyundai being cheaper over all over the next 12-15 years vs. the Corolla.
You keep cars for that long? Guess something has to give so we can have good audio equipment :eek:

jinjuku

jinjuku

You keep cars for that long? Guess something has to give so we can have good audio equipment :eek:
It's not that I keep a car that long, it's that I keep $350/month in my pocket that long (after it's paid off). I never understood the mindset of a new car every 4-5 years or less if you lease. I want safe, economical, reliable point A to B. If you have to have a status symbol vs transportation...:rolleyes:

My wife is proud that her 93 corolla is well taken care of, starts up on the first turn of the key, gets 29mpg on the highway. She now has the mind set of seeing how long the car will last. That has it's own sort of status factor.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The Corolla has changed some stuff for the worse. When we first got them (and the Matrix) Techs were commenting on the rear E-brake setup. Apparently this kind is prone to fail.

Honestly, the Toyota's are pretty cheap. I drive them day in day out and I'm never really impressed. Buy a civic. It has a much better Engine.

SheepStar

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
the wife's had a 99 corolla since it was new and we've got 110k on the odo. It's as reliable as a rock, gets great gas mileage. She's never checked it but the few times we took it on a long trip I got 32 mpg. Downside... it's tiny as all get-out for me (I'm 6'3), it rides kinds rough, and the interior trim is starting to peel off.

I picked up a new '04 Elantra and so far I've got 44k miles on it and it's ride is far superior to the Corolla's. (heck, it's a bigger car). Not one problem so far (knock wood) and I get 24 mpg around town and 34+ on the highway with the cruise set to 75 or so.

FWIW, I dropped the same Sony radio in both cars and the hyundai's 6x9 speakers blow the Corolla's 6 1/2" speakers out of the water.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Just to add more water to the pot, you may want to check out the Mazda 3. I checked out the Civic, Corolla, and Elantra and the Mazda 3 was the one to get for me. Excellent build quality, great looking, plenty powerful engine, good ride, very fun to drive, and very reliable. I average 36 MPG in my 07 Mazda 3i Touring. I've put over 16,000 miles on it since June and not a single issue.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Honestly, the Toyota's are pretty cheap. I drive them day in day out and I'm never really impressed. Buy a civic. It has a much better Engine.
The Civic is another good alternative. I'd take it over the Corolla as well.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
H'mmm with all that extra money the system I would have ...

If I kept my cars that long I would have at McIntoish MX136, MC207, Paradigm Signature S8s for fronts, C5 center, and ADP3s for surrounds and a SVS PB13-Ultra sub.

Now that would be a system! :D

L

littleb

Junior Audioholic
Sure, you can get a Honda Civic unless you have a bad back, and then you would call it a torture chamber. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a single economical car made with any semblance of comfort. Excuse me for the rant, but has anyone actually sat in these POS?:mad:

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You just might be surprised...

Sure, you can get a Honda Civic unless you have a bad back, and then you would call it a torture chamber. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a single economical car made with any semblance of comfort. Excuse me for the rant, but has anyone actually sat in these POS?:mad:
Well, I'm a little over 6'3", going on 60 and have had a fairrly touchy back ever since I pulled it working in a steel mill in the late 70's and I tried on every small car possible before deciding on my Elantra. On long (and short) trips I find it preferable to my previous Olds 88, Mercury Grand Marquis and Cadillac Coupe DeVille. With them I had to get out to stretch every hour and a half or so but now I can go as long as my bladder or gas tank holds out without discomfort.

It isn't so much the size of the car on the outside, it's the seats and leg/headroom that make the difference.

Now, as for my wife's Corolla, I'll give that one to ya but, then again, it's quite a bit smaller, both inside and out. I feel lile a clown getting in and out of a clown car with that one.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
I am shopping for a new car for my wife and if anybody knows the dealer markups on Toyotas and Hyundai’s I would appreciate your inputs.

I am looking at Corollas and Elantras because they are big enough to ride decent yet small enough to get good gas mileage. The Hyundai rates well in Consumer Reports reliability while the Corolla is impeccable in reliability. I have bought nothing but Toyotas since 1984 and have only had to replace brake pads for repairs.

The closest Toyota dealer is about 10 minutes from my house and the Hyundai dealer is about 30 minutes away from my house. The 2009 Corolla at $18,400 is about $3600 more than the discounted 2008 Elantra. The Elantra was stickered at $17K and I was offered a $1500 factory rebate plus $700 dealer discount resulting in a price of $14,800. I test drove the Elantra and it seems pretty good. I didn’t test drive the Corolla yet or try to dicker because I wanted to see how much money the Toyota dealer has to deal. I also want to see if I can get a better price out of the Hyundai dealer.

If you want, chime in on what you would pick and why.
I suggest consulting MazerSteven by PM. He has more knowledge about dealer pricing and Hyundai in general than anyone here but may not wish to divulge that information publicly.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Just to add more water to the pot, you may want to check out the Mazda 3. I checked out the Civic, Corolla, and Elantra and the Mazda 3 was the one to get for me. Excellent build quality, great looking, plenty powerful engine, good ride, very fun to drive, and very reliable. I average 36 MPG in my 07 Mazda 3i Touring. I've put over 16,000 miles on it since June and not a single issue.
I want to agree with Hi Ho here. I've got an '02 Protege with almost 70,000 miles on it. It drives great and is very roomy for two people. The Focus borrows a lot of it's technology from the Mazda line of cars. There's a reason that the Focus was so unreliable when it entered the market and suddenly became a very reliable car...Ford owns part of Mazda.

-pat

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

I would send in for the CR price sheets on them as they would tell you about rebates and holdbacks as well. Yes, invoice is not the bottom line:D
Not expensive to get it and you'd have a bargaining chip with the dealers.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I have a bad back and I used to drive a car with one inch of suspension travel. It's the seat the makes the difference, not the ride of the car. I guess the ultimate concern with owning a car is what do you want? Comfort and features, or reliability and features. Imports ride rougher then domestics, but they continue to ride.

SheepStar

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I checked out all the cars everyone suggested on the internet (i.e. Elantra GLS, Focus SE Sentra 2.0, Corolla LE, Mazda 3 series i touring and Civic LX in order of price). Dealer markup (presumably invoice) ran from 9.2% to 10%. I then subtracted factory discounts and assumed I could buy the cars for $200 to $300 over invoice. I had already driven the Hundai and had an offer, so I decided to drive the Corolla LE to at least see what it was like. I had my “Build You Own” print out and I had marked on the sheet the dealer profit and my 8% discount. My wife and I test drove the car and we sat down to see if they had a car in a color we would like. I gave the salesman my build sheet and he noticed my figures. He asked it that was another dealer’s offer and I said no, that was what I was willing to pay. He said I think we can make that deal, so we picked out a car off that morning’s delivery truck. We waited a couple of hours for dealer preparation and checkout, washing, etc. We went through the financier and declined extended warranties. Toyota had just offered 0% financing for 36 months on the Corolla so we took that deal with no money down. No tricks, no gimmicks (other than extended warranties) so we were pretty happy.

Over all I think the Elantra GLS was maybe a smoother ride over road bumps but the engine was noisy on acceleration and at highway speed. Engine noise is not necessarily a real bad thing as it sounded racer like, although nothing like a V8 of course. The Elantra is definitely worth looking at and a pretty nice car especially if the price difference from a Corolla is around $3000. In my case the difference was only about $1200. The warranty is of course quite long.

The Corolla is a 2009, had very low engine noise and what little it had sounded very smooth like an electric motor. The seats are hard foam like our old Echo, so that means we will probably sit on pillows for a long trip (10 hours). The road bumps are dampened but transmit through the car to the seats, but there is generally no noise. Everything is very tight with no noises. The radio is also surprisingly good and I got the six CD changer.

I am biased for Toyota because the last seven new cars I bought were Toyotas and I basically had no troubles except for muffler systems on my 85 Camry. I also have friends at work who have 250,000 miles on their Toyotas, but I can’t say that for Hyundais. I was planning on going to the dealers for the other makes I listed above, but the Toyota deal I thought was going to be hard to beat.

I would have to say that right now the car dealers are hurting, even the best of them. This is better than shopping at year end closeouts because you can get large discounts and in my case on a 2009 model (or next year’s model instead of last year’s model). If you can swing the payments ($472/month), the no money down zero percent interest for three years is a no-brainer. Toyota also has low rates for four and five year loans but they are not zero percent.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I
I would have to say that right now the car dealers are hurting, even the best of them.
:rolleyes:

I sold 15 cars last month. $60820 in front end gross. $90750 total gross front and back. You do the math. Yes dealers are really hurting. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis