Read this if you're thinking Onkyo

B

B Springer

Audiophyte
Below is the actual letter that I have forwarded to the Attorney General's office in both NJ and PA. I have also forwarded this onto the BBB and FTC and local media.

Hello,

I have a problem and don't know where to turn. I hope you can help me?

I purchased an Onkyo Stereo TX SR-805 from Circuit City retailer here in Reading Pa. in Aug 07. As part of the original purchase, I paid for a 5 year warranty as well. 3 weeks later the stereo unit stopped working (Not dropped or damaged - it just quit). I called Circuit City and it was just outside the window of return to CC for a replacement - I was encouraged to use my 5 year warranty through Onkyo. So, I contacted Onkyo who explained that one of their "certified" repair centers must inspect the unit first to determine if it can be repaired or replaced. They provided the contact info of a local repair center in Philadelphia. I called that service center who told me that they no longer accept any Onkyo products for repair. I called Onkyo back and they said its not they're problem - the issue is between that repair shop and me. I begged the customer service manager to intervene on my part. He capitulated - to make a long story short - that shop was never removed from their approved service repair shop listing. So with many apologies, Onkyo put me onto another of their repair centers (Audio Video Repair on S. Columbus Blvd in Philadelphia). My responsibility to get the unit there - so I drove it there directly. After 3 months of following up with that repair center, it was still not fixed. George the repair center manager told me to contact Onkyo to find out why they weren't sending the needed parts for repair. So, I followed up with Onkyo. Onkyo stated that they're having difficulty getting necessary parts - so to expedite, they (Onkyo) would send an entire circuit panel to the repair shop. Great! Now its Jan 08, and I still do not have a stereo back. So I follow up: Repair center says they never received it. Onkyo claims they sent it. Back and forth. Eventually a very nice customer service employee at Onkyo (Felicia) investigated on my behalf. Apparently (According to Felicia) she found that the part was indeed shipped to the repair center, installed, yet the unit still didn't work and the tech at the repair center didn't know what to do. Felicia organized getting my unit shipped to Onkyo's "regional" repair center in NYC where it could be fixed properly. Great! A couple of weeks later, Felicia calls me to tell me that the Regional center received the unit but it was damaged in transit (front faceplate) and that (Fed Ex/ UPS) was investigating before it can turned over to the regional repair center. Great! Now it is Feb 21 08. I called Felicia to get an update. Felicia informs me that Onkyo is no longer responsible for the unit/ parts/ etc. Their position is that its my problem to be dealt with between repair shop #1 and repair shop #2 (regional center) Onkyo states that whenever the regional center receives the parts/ compensation for the damage done in transit, that the Regional center will be more than happy to finish repairing the unit and ship it back to me. My position is that I paid for a 5 year warranty in good faith and I expect the manufacture to honor their commitment to that agreement, which unfortunately they aren't doing.

Fact: Onkyo required me to send the unit to their repair center or they would not honor the warranty.

Fact: Onkyo organized getting the unit shipped between repair centers and never required any accountability on my part for the liability of the shipping.

The unit retail cost was $1,100, and I cannot afford an attorney to fight Onkyo or whomever they think I should be fighting.

Just to vent, I asked Felicia to provide me the contact information of their legal department. I was put in contact with Jack Cooper who identified himself as the regional Customer Service Manager. He refused to provide any other contact information only providing his email address:

j.cooper@usonkyo.com

And he provided the 201-785-2629 number but admitted that he will never take any calls like this because that’s just their policy.

Do I have any recourse or am I screwed?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

F

FSUguy

Junior Audioholic
Below is the actual letter that I have forwarded to the Attorney General's office in both NJ and PA. I have also forwarded this onto the BBB and FTC and local media.

Hello,

I have a problem and don't know where to turn. I hope you can help me?

I purchased an Onkyo Stereo TX SR-805 from Circuit City retailer here in Reading Pa. in Aug 07. As part of the original purchase, I paid for a 5 year warranty as well. 3 weeks later the stereo unit stopped working (Not dropped or damaged - it just quit). I called Circuit City and it was just outside the window of return to CC for a replacement - I was encouraged to use my 5 year warranty through Onkyo. So, I contacted Onkyo who explained that one of their "certified" repair centers must inspect the unit first to determine if it can be repaired or replaced. They provided the contact info of a local repair center in Philadelphia. I called that service center who told me that they no longer accept any Onkyo products for repair. I called Onkyo back and they said its not they're problem - the issue is between that repair shop and me. I begged the customer service manager to intervene on my part. He capitulated - to make a long story short - that shop was never removed from their approved service repair shop listing. So with many apologies, Onkyo put me onto another of their repair centers (Audio Video Repair on S. Columbus Blvd in Philadelphia). My responsibility to get the unit there - so I drove it there directly. After 3 months of following up with that repair center, it was still not fixed. George the repair center manager told me to contact Onkyo to find out why they weren't sending the needed parts for repair. So, I followed up with Onkyo. Onkyo stated that they're having difficulty getting necessary parts - so to expedite, they (Onkyo) would send an entire circuit panel to the repair shop. Great! Now its Jan 08, and I still do not have a stereo back. So I follow up: Repair center says they never received it. Onkyo claims they sent it. Back and forth. Eventually a very nice customer service employee at Onkyo (Felicia) investigated on my behalf. Apparently (According to Felicia) she found that the part was indeed shipped to the repair center, installed, yet the unit still didn't work and the tech at the repair center didn't know what to do. Felicia organized getting my unit shipped to Onkyo's "regional" repair center in NYC where it could be fixed properly. Great! A couple of weeks later, Felicia calls me to tell me that the Regional center received the unit but it was damaged in transit (front faceplate) and that (Fed Ex/ UPS) was investigating before it can turned over to the regional repair center. Great! Now it is Feb 21 08. I called Felicia to get an update. Felicia informs me that Onkyo is no longer responsible for the unit/ parts/ etc. Their position is that its my problem to be dealt with between repair shop #1 and repair shop #2 (regional center) Onkyo states that whenever the regional center receives the parts/ compensation for the damage done in transit, that the Regional center will be more than happy to finish repairing the unit and ship it back to me. My position is that I paid for a 5 year warranty in good faith and I expect the manufacture to honor their commitment to that agreement, which unfortunately they aren't doing.

Fact: Onkyo required me to send the unit to their repair center or they would not honor the warranty.

Fact: Onkyo organized getting the unit shipped between repair centers and never required any accountability on my part for the liability of the shipping.

The unit retail cost was $1,100, and I cannot afford an attorney to fight Onkyo or whomever they think I should be fighting.

Just to vent, I asked Felicia to provide me the contact information of their legal department. I was put in contact with Jack Cooper who identified himself as the regional Customer Service Manager. He refused to provide any other contact information only providing his email address:

j.cooper@usonkyo.com

And he provided the 201-785-2629 number but admitted that he will never take any calls like this because that’s just their policy.

Do I have any recourse or am I screwed?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Wow man, I am really sorry to hear all that. It sounds like your pretty much getting shafted and put in a helpless position at the same time which really blows. I couldn't offer any advice other than to keep calling Onkyo and trying to talk to different people and move up the chain. If you keep your cool and do this, things tend to work out. Be patient buddy and keep us updated!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
sorry to hear man, keep your cool like he said, but do not let up ... we can't allow these companies to screw the consumers. Onkyo should just send you a new unit and be done with it.

question: who received the money for the 5 year warranty? wouldn't that be the store? shouldn't THEY suck it up?

A

Audioman321

Banned
I am sorry to hear that, you should ask for a new one from the company.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
B. Springer: Welcome to the Forum!!! Unfortunately your initial post is not of happier circumstances.

While I understand and sympatize with your plight, it is extraordinary that your new unit bricked after just three weeks. But these things do happen.

My suggestion for those in a similar situation, would be to first call either the dealer or manufacturer, and if one does not receive immediate satisfaction (one ought to with a new receiver, purchased w/ a 5 year warranty, that bricked three weeks after purchase)...begin a meticulous paper trail.

1) Perform all correspondence by certified letter and/or email, obviously retaining copies and receipts.
2) Take a picture of the unit, showing no visible signs of damage.
3) Get a receipt for the unit when it is dropped off at a repair center, stipulating when a first response will be given, and within what time frame one can expect either a repaired or replacement unit. Sometimes it sends a clear signal to management as well, if upon delivery (after the runaround you've received) one takes photos of the unit as the repair center is taking delivery...again verifying no visible damage to unit upon delivery.

The written word speaks for itself, and the ratrace and poor cs is easily proven (and not so easily denied or disavowed) with memorialization. I hope this works out for you soon. :)

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
That sucks big time!

You should get an attorney to call on your behalf. No need to sue right away.

It's amayzing how things can get moving when a professional gets involved...

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I would skip the lawyer part as Onkyo knows the costs to take them to court will far exceed the price of a receiver. I don't know the dollar limits but you could try small claims court yourself. Just get all you documentatioin together to prove your case. I would still keep working that screwy Onkyo repair network until you get satisfaction and keep good records of days, times and people you talk to and what they tell you.

20Glove

Audioholic
Wow

Makes me think twice about my Onkyo 805 purchase... I have this up and running and it has caused me no problems with about 100-120 hours worth of use.

My salesman, said Onkyo was rated best customer service with the brands they carry (Denon, Sony, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite). But makes me wonder if they got extra commission to sell this unit to me. I did get it for a good price $648... but was the $648 too much.

I did purchase from a dealer though that is the authorized repair center in my area... so if anything goes wrong I hope the purchase place will back me up... never know though until it happens.

Makes me want to add this to my Onkyo 805 review.

Sorry man that really sucks and has me questioning. I will cross my fingers!

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
That really sucks. I was really looking forward to getting a 705 later on this year, but I'm hearing a ton of bad stuff about the current line of Onkyo receivers.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
It's funny how you see posts like this all over AVS about the Onkyo's breaking down and them offering horrible customer service yet most people still seem to recommend their stuff.

Sorry to hear about your problems man and I hope you get them resolved. BTW did you buy the 5 year warranty from CC or from somewhere else? Because if you bought it from them they are obligated to deal with it.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
BTW did you buy the 5 year warranty from CC or from somewhere else? Because if you bought it from them they are obligated to deal with it.
Not yet...at least from my understanding. The manufacturer warranty always trumps extended warrantys. That is, extended warrantys do not commence until the manufacturer warranty has expired. So Onkyo is fully responsible for this one.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Makes me think twice about my Onkyo 805 purchase... I have this up and running and it has caused me no problems with about 100-120 hours worth of use.

My salesman, said Onkyo was rated best customer service with the brands they carry (Denon, Sony, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite). But makes me wonder if they got extra commission to sell this unit to me. I did get it for a good price $648... but was the $648 too much.

I did purchase from a dealer though that is the authorized repair center in my area... so if anything goes wrong I hope the purchase place will back me up... never know though until it happens.

Makes me want to add this to my Onkyo 805 review.

Sorry man that really sucks and has me questioning. I will cross my fingers!
From what I've read and seen, nobody beats Yamaha for customer service despite what the sales person told you. That is why I'll be getting a Yamaha to replace my outdated but still very much alive & kicking Technics H/T receiver.

I'm sorry you have to thru such BS to get your repair done. Wouldn't be a novelty for a company top stand behind their products for a change. :rolleyes:

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Onkyo issues

Sorry to hear about the receiver issues. I had a similar 6 month battle with a local furniture store that ultimately was settled after filing formal complaints with BBB and Consumer Afairs. I can't imagine why they went out of business a couple years later with that kind of paperwork. Fill out the BBB and CA paperwork if you haven't already. Make sure you get a full refud (including cost of CC waranty, shipping, taxes, etc.) and not a replacement unit.

I recommend reposting your story on several internet forums including the Onkyo forum and AVS. Send an email with links to all of your threads to all of your Onkyo contacts and there generic support contacts. Like it or not, this squeeky wheel technique usually works.

If time is not a huge issue, it only cost about $30 to go to small claims court.
As a last resort, you might be to get a local lawyer to write a pro-bono letter.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Wow, that's a lot of time and headache to go through for a receiver purchased in good faith back in August, with still no resolution. It sounds like you're doing the right things though - taking note of names, times, dates, etc. The paper trail is crucial of course, but sadly it's another case of David vs. Goliath in this big corporate world we live in, and unlike Biblical times, David doesn't always win.

With that said, not to discourage you by any means, take the fight to them and demand answers. Hell, I would have demanded a brand new receiver before it got two months into this mess myself.

Either way, best of luck to you brother - get the media involved and make it public. The cost is free, but the rewards could be worth your effort, when all it takes are a few phone calls or emails to local news outlets. They love to eat s**t like this up. :p

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man im sorry to hear that, i hate it when those big companys treat you like you are a nobody after they sell you something, i can bet that wouldnt happen at a nice family owned store, to bad that all those big stores have driven them almost to non existance. If i was you i would bother them with phone calls and e-mails untill the end of time. I hope everything works out for you.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Did you purchase this on a credit card? You have 18 months to charge back the purchase. Let Circuit City/Onkyo/Who ever deal with your CC company.

I NEVER make ANY major purchase w/o putting in on CC. I have the cash and use that to pay off the CC w/o any interest accruing instead of giving that cash to the merchant.

Small claims will prove effective. The magistrates that hear those cases don't bother with normal court room procedure.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
That really sucks. I was really looking forward to getting a 705 later on this year, but I'm hearing a ton of bad stuff about the current line of Onkyo receivers.
Stick with Yamaha dude. The RX-V663 offers similar power, connectivity, and processing to the TX-SR705 and is less expensive (also less heat, less popping [should be no popping] and less HDMI handshaking issues).:)

20Glove

Audioholic
It's funny how you see posts like this all over AVS about the Onkyo's breaking down and them offering horrible customer service yet most people still seem to recommend their stuff.

Sorry to hear about your problems man and I hope you get them resolved. BTW did you buy the 5 year warranty from CC or from somewhere else? Because if you bought it from them they are obligated to deal with it.
Hey no offense... I am thinking twice about my purchase of the 805, hoping that I do not have a dud and I feel for this guy in the post... but take a look at the whole picture, do not just judge on a few incidents. There are many people happy with their purchase and many people that have receivers that work.

Take a look at the comments on Circuit City, Abt Electronics, and Amazon over 95% of the people are happy with their purchase. No matter what product you buy there can be a lemon. But overall, I doubt Onkyo would keep producing these models if overall they were all bad. Also there are some major chains carrying these models and I doubt they would carry them if there were problems.

I remember back like 1 to 1 and half years ago... when I wanted a pioneer elite 82tsx, I went into my store and talked to my salesman I have been using since 1997 and he told me that there was too many HDMI switching issues and that was causing the unit to shut down or something like that and they had backorders and told me they sent Pioneer back 10-12 units and were not going to sell them at the store until Pioneer could prove they had fixed the problem... so that was the company pulling the product... that same company is still selling the 805 and my salesman got back to me today letting me know that they have had 6 in service since September and have sold over 350 units in that amount of time. That is about a 2% (1.7%) failure rate.

Now I am not saying that the failure rate will not go up in the future... cause the system running so hot has been a major concern for me since Day 1 (mentioned in my personal review here as well), but people on this forum and AVS told me that it is normal for this machine to run this hot due to what was under the hood. They all told me Sony and Pioneer did not even come close (under the hood) to Onkyo or Denon that is why these receivers run hottier than Pioneer and Sony.

As far as customer service goes, Onkyo has been great as I had two hook up questions and got right through to a rep... and they helped tremendously.

As far as Denon goes... which I do prefer (Big Time) that is why my Denon is in my main HT/Listening room, and this is my second Denon Receiver, but their customer service sucks... 9-5 Eastern time... (8-4 my time) and this is M - F... c'mon... who is home during these hours... not people that can afford Denon that is for sure and the wait time.... 27 minutes on hold and told by the representative that I would need to call back as it was 5:30 their time and were already working overtime, talked to a manager... who helped me until we were finished 5:47 their time (another 4 minutes on hold while original rep got manager). That too me is just bad! If it was not for the sound and the easy set up... I would never ever purchase Denon, but to my ear it is the best sounding systems. Just an opinion.

I feel for the guy who is posting but please lets not pile on Onkyo... if my system goes bad, I will be the first to pile on... but every company produces its share of lemons... otherwise we would not have the "lemon law"

I know I will get ripped for this post... but I am just trying to point out the other side... and make myself feel better about my 805 purchase at the same time... I feel if I keep saying mine is not a lemon it will not be! :confused:

Last edited:

20Glove

Audioholic
Stick with Yamaha dude. The RX-V663 offers similar power, connectivity, and processing to the TX-SR705 and is less expensive (also less heat, less popping [should be no popping] and less HDMI handshaking issues).:)
Seth... you were one person here that talked me into the Onkyo 805 over the AVR3808ci... are you off the Onkyo bandwagon?

Well maybe not talked me into it but kept telling me about the specs and weight and all that... and well... to me SO FAR it is worth its weight... so thank you... but really are you off the Onkyo bandwagon?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis