Matt34

Matt34

I have some wheels up for sale on Craigslist and I get this email after an initial email asking if they were still for sale? Sounds really fishy to me, not sure how she could scam me with a personal check if I hold them until it clears?

Regardless, I'm not going to sell them to her. Wrote back saying it was for a local sale only, cash.

------------------------------------------------------

Hello i really appreciate your response to my earlier mail.like i said i will like to buy this item so pls do withdraw the advert from Craigslist. I will also like you to know that i will be paying via check .I will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check.

1.Your full name
2.Your mailing residential address
3.Your phone number.

**I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for
shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as you have cashed the
check**

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Everything about that just sounds strange... particularly the fact that she doesn't want to check out the merchandise for herself before buying.

The biggest indicator to me is the fact that the buyer can't use proper English or seemingly form a coherent sentence. That alone would cause me to pass the person by.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, this looks fishy...look how it is written....I was reading the newspaper the other day about a scam about online shopping and the people that were selling the products were getting scammed...something about the person would pay by check but would overpay and then would call you at your home and say I overpayed because of shipping and handling and so forth and I think if I remeber correctly would send you another cheque (hence asking for phone number, mailing address etc)....i forget how the rest of the scam goes but the cheques end up being fradulent and the seller gets stuck with the amount of the fradulent cheque. I do not remeber the whole scam and I am missing some important points of it but those are the parts I remember reading. This looks like that scam. Bottom line if you are selling goods over the internet NEVER accept a cheque.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I have some wheels up for sale on Craigslist and I get this email after an inital email asking if they were still for sale? Sounds really fishy to me, not sure how she could scam me with a personal check if I hold them until it clears?

Regardless, I'm not going to sell them to her. Wrote back it was for a local sale only, cash.

------------------------------------------------------

Hello i really appreciate your response to my earlier mail.like i said i will like to buy this item so pls do withdraw the advert from Craigslist. I will also like you to know that i will be paying via check .I will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check.

1.Your full name
2.Your mailing residential address
3.Your phone number.

**I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for
shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as you have cashed the
check**

Have a nice day.
The only proper (it's immediate) way of clearing a check is by cashing it at the bank from which it was drawn. This cannot be done with business accounts...unless you happen to bank at the same facility as the drawer. Even then, one is not allowed to cash a business check (as payee). Meaning, the kiting may take longer than expected to uncover. I insist upon postal money orders from unfamiliar parties...if they squawk...that's a red flag.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
The only proper (it's immediate) way of clearing a check is by cashing it at the bank from which it was drawn. This cannot be done with business accounts...unless you happen to bank at the same facility as the drawer. Meaning, the kiting may take longer than expected to uncover. I insist upon postal money orders from unfamiliar parties...if they squawk...that's a red flag.
Certified checks work just as well, and I'm pretty sure there's no fee.

I've become a very big PayPal for this reason. If you have a bank account, there's no reason not to be using PayPal.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
If she's legitimate and really wants the wheels she would gladly accept your terms and pick up local with cash-on-delivery. If she has the money to spend via check, she has it to withdraw as cash. Under no circumstances whatsoever would I give that kind of personal information out over the internet to a complete stranger. To even ask for it is a huge red flag to me. :cool:

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Certified checks work just as well, and I'm pretty sure there's no fee.

I've become a very big PayPal for this reason. If you have a bank account, there's no reason not to be using PayPal.
Certified checks can be printed from just about any printer by someone with a little know how. So can a postal money order. The difference is the postal money order can be immediately verified at any USPO...and cashed.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Under no circumstances whatsoever would I give that kind of personal information out over the internet to a complete stranger. :cool:
I agree. Thta's why they should first become more than total strangers by continuing correspondence. Someone needs to make the first move. Think of it. If Matt gives his phone number so as to avoid giving his name and address over the internet, if someone is to intercept it, they can almost certainly then get his name and address (skip trace). Conversely, if he just gives his name, if intercepted, someone can find his address and phone number (unless he's under the radar...and being in the military, that's entirely plausible ;)).

I think one indeed needs to be skeptical and deliberate when giving out this information. Ultimately, some level of trust needs to be given when exchanging information. I have no problem giving my info out on the internet...after certain conditions have been met. More than one ne'er do well has run (literally) off my property (empty-handed) never to return.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would avoid this "person". I personally think it's an internet spam bot that wants your personal information. The incoherant spelling and sentence structure would indicate this is a prefabricated responce and is intended to look as though human error is the culprit for such horrid structure. The fact that you received it so quickly just helps indicate it's a bot rather than a person.

ALERT!: SPAM BOT HAS BEEN DETECTED!

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I would avoid this "person". I personally think it's an internet spam bot that wants your personal information. The incoherant spelling and sentence structure would indicate this is a prefabricated responce and is intended to look as though human error is the culprit for such horrid structure. The fact that you received it so quickly just helps indicate it's a bot rather than a person.

ALERT!: SPAM BOT HAS BEEN DETECTED!
I agree it's suspicious. Grammar, spelling, punctuation. But then, I've seen worse right here. ;)

I'd take the money, and let them come over. They only get the goods once the check or mo clears. But then, if they're (his "mover") going to pop over as soon as the check is cashed, why not have his "mover" come over with cash...or bullion? He may have a "mover," but I've got Mr. Zero. Yeah, it's suspicious all right. I'd say Matt's (and the rest of your's) first instincts are correct on this one. :)

Matt34

Matt34

I agree. Thta's why they should first become more than total strangers by continuing correspondence. Someone needs to make the first move. Think of it. If Matt gives his phone number so as to avoid giving his name and address over the internet, if someone is to intercept it, they can almost certainly then get his name and address (skip trace). Conversely, if he just gives his name, if intercepted, someone can find his address and phone number (unless he's under the radar...and being in the military, that's entirely plausible ;)).

I think one indeed needs to be skeptical and deliberate when giving out this information. Ultimately, some level of trust needs to be given when exchanging information. I have no problem giving my info out on the internet...after certain conditions have been met. More than one ne'er do well has run (literally) off my property (empty-handed) never to return.
I learned my lesson a few years ago when I was a victim to idenity theft. Thankfully it was only one credit card but it still took two YEARS to get off my credit report. Her asking for my personal info was a no brainer and set off the red flags, just wondering how the scam works with a check which you guys answered.

Oh,I'm sure my info is readily available to most anyone out there courteous of and in part to the numberous letters I've recieved saying my personnal info might have been one of the thousands lost/stolen by other federal employees(ie Veteran Affairs).

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Online auction sites are fertile ground for these scammers
Dateline: December, 2004
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is warning consumers to watch out for “Check overpayment” scams targeting consumers selling cars or other valuable items through classified ads or online auction sites. Unsuspecting sellers get stuck with a big loss when scammers pass off bogus cashier’s checks, corporate checks, or personal checks.

The FTC has issued a new consumer alert, “Check Overpayment Scams: Seller Beware,” that explains this scam and offers consumers tips on how to protect themselves and their pocketbooks.

According to the FTC, a check overpayment scam begins when a scam artist replies to the classified ad or auction posting and offers to purchase the item for sale with a check, then comes up with a reason for writing the check for more than the purchase price for the item. The scammer asks the consumer to wire back the difference after the check is deposited. Later, the scammer’s check bounces, leaving the consumer liable for the entire amount. The FTC says the scam is able to progress because, though the checks are counterfeit, they may look good enough to fool bank tellers.

The FTC gives the following tips to avoid check overpayment scams:

Know who you are dealing with – independently confirm your buyer’s name, street address, and telephone number.

Never accept a check for more than your selling price.

Never agree to wire back funds to a buyer – a legitimate buyer will not pressure you to do so, and you have limited recourse if there is a problem with a wire transfer.

Resist pressure to “act now.” If the buyer’s offer is good now, it should be good when the check clears.

If you accept payment by check, ask for a check drawn on a local bank or a bank with a local branch. You can visit that bank branch to determine if the check is legitimate.

Consider an alternative method of payment, such as an escrow service or online payment service. If the buyer wants to use a service you have not heard of, be sure to check it out to be sure it is reliable – check its Web site, call its customer service hotline, and read its terms of agreement and privacy policy. If you do not feel comfortable with the service, do not use it.
In another version of the scam, a consumer is asked to pay taxes or fees on “foreign lottery winnings.” When he or she goes to cash the “winnings” check, the sender claims to be trapped in a foreign country with no way to produce the cash. The FTC offers the following advice for consumers: throw away any offer that asks you to pay for a prize or “free” gift; and do not enter foreign lotteries – most solicitations for them are fraudulent, and it is illegal to play a foreign lottery through the mail or by telephone.

The FTC’s alert is available at www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/overpayalrt.htm. Consumers who have been victims of check overpayment scams should file a complaint with the FTC at www.ftc.gov.

Matt34

Matt34

Just got another one:rolleyes:....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for writing back,I'm cool with your final price because i do need this item urgently..let me know if you will accept payment with Money Orders as this is the only way i can make the payment because i am located in Oregon..i don't mind offering you an extra $40 for holding the item for me.
I would have loved to come take a look at it though but i will not be able to do so due to the distance but i'll really appreciate a picture from you.You may reply with your name and contact address also your phone number where you will like to receive the payment.And concerning the shippment i will handle all the shipping expenses myself. I shall look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks

Barry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

Thanks for writing back,I'm cool with your final price because i do need this item urgently..let me know if you will accept payment with Money Orders as this is the only way i can make the payment because i am located in Oregon..i don't mind offering you an extra $40 for holding the item for me.
I would have loved to come take a look at it though but i will not be able to do so due to the distance but i'll really appreciate a picture from you.You may reply with your name and contact address also your phone number where you will like to receive the payment.And concerning the shippment i will handle all the shipping expenses myself. I shall look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks

Barry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
:confused: Ok, now I am lost.

Matt34

Matt34

:confused: Ok, now I am lost.

Among other things already pointed out.

This ad is located in the Tucson, AZ craiglist. Why would a guy want to have me hold a set of stock Dodge Neon SRT-4 wheels(which I'm selling for $200) for $40 more and then pay shipping(easily adding another $100-150).

These wheels are readily available pretty much anywhere.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I learned my lesson a few years ago when I was a victim to idenity theft. Thankfully it was only one credit card but it still took two YEARS to get off my credit report. Her asking for my personal info was a no brainer and set off the red flags, just wondering how the scam works with a check which you guys answered.

Oh,I'm sure my info is readily available to most anyone out there courteous of and in part to the numberous letters I've recieved saying my personnal info might have been one of the thousands lost/stolen by other federal employees(ie Veteran Affairs).
Yeah, that sucks. Both the cc and the VA. It's not as as benign or careless as that though Matt. I know people who do skip traces and credit checks...the info is all over the board now with the internet.

Case in point: I just signed up at a Japan based DVD company. They want you name, gender and dob before they'll allow you to continue. I gave all factual info, save for my dob. It kept telling me that my dob was incorrect. Damn! I knew immediately that their database crosschecks the info...my name and address did not correspond with my dob. Well, I was not about to give my dob over an unsecured line...let alone halfway across the planet (the world, really, with the internet). Point is, there is a lot of info out there, and one does not have to be Experian or Equifax, nor do they have to be involved in the VA blunder. I won't give my dob out over an unsecured line. The hilarious part of it is, they apparently already "know" my dob, so why are they asking, rather than telling? (answer: protocol)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Among other things already pointed out.

This ad is located in the Tucson, AZ craiglist. Why would a guy want to have me hold a set of stock Dodge Neon SRT-4 wheels(which I'm selling for $200) for $40 more and then pay shipping(easily adding another $100-150).

These wheels are readily available pretty much anywhere.
Tell him to blow off.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai

..let me know if you will accept payment with Money Orders as this is the only way i can make the payment -----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd respond: "Absolutely!" POSTAL money order. :) Any further backtracking or tender changing is a waste of precious time. Postal mo, or tell him...to come over for dinner.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I'd respond: "Absolutely!" POSTAL money order. :) Any further backtracking or tender changing is a waste of precious time. Postal mo, or tell him...to come over for dinner.
DO NOT LISTEN TO JOHND... DO NOT RESPOND TO THE EMAIL......The Email is the very beginning of the scam!!!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis