J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Have the mover bring cash:D
Or, wait a week after the check is cased for bank clearing.:D
Haaa! Good one mtry. I suggested the same thing and was cheerfully run through the mill for proffering such advice. Let's see if you get "the treatment" as well (though I'm not holding my breath :rolleyes:). jk:p;)

Really though mtry. If one has gone this far, what harm (how much trouble) is it to go that last step that you've suggested? :)

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
This scam is so old I find it hard to believe people still question it.:confused:

Here is what comes next.

Oh, I am sorry I sent you a check for $800 and it was only suppose to be $80. Well just go ahead and deposit it to save the time to send it back to me and me sending you another check. Just send me the difference in cash along with the item.;)

:rolleyes:Yeah sure, here you go...
EXACTLY!!!

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
EXACTLY!!!
Are you out to make Matt look like a fool? Or me? What's the point in this post? If one receives many responses from Craig's List (or any other source), they will invariably have to decide if one is worth answering. This one appears unworthy. But, Matt already had answered the inquiry before he started this thread. In fact, there were multiple communiques that have transpired.

You have missed my entire gist (and mtrycraft's). As the deal has been all but consummated, I would continue (one last email), and as per the buyer's directive, accept a mo (postal only), and cash it. You've now spent more time and energy on this thread than it would take Matt to go that final step. If it doesn't happen...so be it. That's a small price to pay (another minute of time) after the time and energy he has already expended on this deal.

An analogy is I posted 6 items on a website, and three of them sold. I reissued the ad for $1.00 (and about three minutes of my time), and immediately sold all three remaining items. Quite a small second investment after the inital, wouldn't you say? Some seem to forget this is about selling an item, and whilst I agree to not waste time on useless ventures, this one is now at the 23rd hour. What harm is to come from taking the last step? Just my $0.02. :)

Matt34

Matt34

This thread has transpired to be more than I though it would. I may have road the short bus but I'm nobodies fool. I was 99% sure it was a scam just wasn't sure how the scam worked hence my question.

I guess I need to clarify something that I failed to mention in my previous posts. The only communication I had with both the scammers was, yes it was still for sale after an initial email which they both asked, "Are they still for sale?" Nothing more

They had my email after I responded to that so I guess you could say they duped me into giving up my hotmail account.:rolleyes:

After that is when I recieved the dubious emails I posted. I got the reponses here and at that point with them already knowing my email I went ahead and responded with a, "Get bent".

No harm, no foul, no kittens were killed.

Matt

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I get a dozen of these scams whenever I put anything on CL.

They send you a bogus check. Sometimes they make it out for twice the amount of the item and expect you to send the "change" along with the item. Sometimes they just want you to send the item right away after cashing. They never talk about the item at all. They usually refer to it simply as "the item" or sometimes use the full title of the CL ad.

I drew one out, knowing it was a scam. They sent me two $950 checks, cashed on Citibank, for a 30GB iPod. They wanted me to deposit the checks, keep $500 for myself (cost of the iPod, plus shipping to Benin, plus some extra just for me), and send the "change" along with the iPod. It was highly amusing. The checks were frighteningly real looking, though. Even the teller at the bank said they looked real.

Here are the actual emails I received, if anyone is interested:

I have gone through your posting and I am interested in buying. Please let me know if its still available so I can arrange your payment. The only means I can pay you at the moment is M.O. and it will get to you in few days. If this is acceptable by you, please send me your full name address so I can send your payment.
Jaylnn
Hi,
I hope you are doing fine. I urgently had to leave town to Benin on an assignment. but I can arrange you payment by asking my assistant to prepare and send to you. I am even willing to add $20 for you to keep in my favour. If this is acceptable by you, Please send me your full name and address so your payment could be send. I will also arrange wth a shipping company who will come for the pick-up as soon as you receive it.
Jaylnn
Hi Jon,
I am sorry for not always writing you, I am alway busy. There is something I think I must bring to your notice. After a reconciliation of my account last night, I discovered that my assistant sent the payment that was meant for another item to you and the one that was for you to another client. I have been busy resolving that of the other client because He was underpaid which means that you were sent an overpayment. I have actually fired my assistant. Please let me know once you receive your payment once you receive payment so I can let you know how to send back the overpayment.
Waiting to read from you.
Jaylnn
The checks came at this point, and I asked for an address for shipment.

Jaylnn said:
Hi,
Its nice to hear from you. I want you to go ahead and cash the Check, deduct your money and send the balance via western union to my Account Manager on the following details.

NAME: ACARTA STEVEN
CITY: COTONOU

Pleas make sure you send me a copy of the transfer details i.e MTCN number, the total amount sent after deducting western union charges and the test question and answer so I can forward to him.
I have some other items that I have already bought and has to be picked-up, but my Shipper will not commence pick-up unless they have been fully paid. I need the balance to pay my Shipper.
Therefore I will appreciate if you can do it today
Waiting to read from you
Jaylnn

Last edited:
J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I get a dozen of these scams whenever I put anything on CL.
You receive a dozen every time you post on CL? Wow. I had no idea it was that rampant. Have you ever received a fake postal money order johnnythan? I ask because even though they exist, they are quite rare (in comparison to fake mo's and checks), and they are easily authenticated. Cheers, John

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
You receive a dozen every time you post on CL? Wow. I had no idea it was that rampant. Have you ever received a fake postal money order johnnythan? I ask because even though they exist, they are quite rare (in comparison to fake mo's and checks), and they are easily authenticated. Cheers, John
No, because the scammers don't care about what method of payment you want. They give what they give and hope you fall for it.

All of my ads say Paypal or cash only, but I've never actually received a scam email offering either of these. It's always a check or money order. Of course it won't be a postal money order. But next time I get a money order offer, I'll string it along and see what I get just to satisfy you.

Notice that the above scam initially offered a money order, but I got a check.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I'll string it along and see what I get just to satisfy you.
Why would you do that? Not necessary. As stated, Im surprised at the proliferation you announce...I'm not denying it. I've been in business quite a while (not at CL...admittedly), and have never received a fake check. Never. But then I almost invariably receive payment face to face. Caveat emptor (venditor in the case(s) at hand :eek:).

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
I am just amused how Minusbear is eagerly hunting you down JohnD. What have you recently done? Lol...just curious...:D

These scams are all very old school. I have received many similar emails when i posted something for sale in CL, heck, sometimes even Ebay. Well, when i really have some spare time, i answered a couple just to see how far they'd go. I usually ticked them off most of the time, they are the one stop answering my emails/questions...Hahaha. Once i get the swearing words and all i told them was...thank you and that I was forwarding this to the authority...which i didn't cuz my plan was only to make them on a cold feet for a few days fearing somebody would pick them up any time...

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I am just amused how Minusbear is eagerly hunting you down JohnD. What have you recently done? Lol...just curious...:D

These scams are all very old school. I have received many similar emails when i posted something for sale in CL, heck, sometimes even Ebay. Well, when i really have some spare time, i answered a couple just to see how far they'd go. I usually ticked them off most of the time, they are the one stop answering my emails/questions...Hahaha. Once i get the swearing words and all i told them was...thank you and that I was forwarding this to the authority...which i didn't cuz my plan was only to make them on a cold feet for a few days fearing somebody would pick them up any time...
Thanks for letting the proverbial "cat out of the bag," .masak_aer. ;)

The jig is up...and all is lost. ;):p

But thanks for noticing. A guy could get a real complex like this. Sheeesh. :p;)

Matt has duly noted that he has not been "taken." Scams like these are not only new to CL or the internet...they're not new at all. I like postal money orders...easily authenticated...and most (if not all) scammers will not go to that kind of trouble (forging a postal mo). Serious offense. There is still some good info here for those not "in-the-know."

And hey: thanks for watching my back. ;):p

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
No offense Tarub, but I have far more meaningful things to do with the little time I'm afforded on this planet. Scamming the scammers may be justified...just not my province...or interest. And I would suspect this holds true for most members here (and people in general). There are far too many people in this world with far too much time on their hands...I'm not one of them. Not to mention if one does slip up, you could inadvertently pass some private information.

But I do like you new sig: Bravissimo! Cheers, John

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
I understand my friend Johnd. It is more meaningful to spend time to post, argue, besmirch, to flame or get flamed on this forum than anything else. :p Hey, I'm at work now sneaking away from my boss to lurk and post here. That's how meaningful this is.

I owe you one for that sig. ;)

Last edited:
W

wafflesomd123

Banned
Scam.

I received an email just this the other day for an item of mine.

D

divine0enigma

Audiophyte
Yeah...

Just got another one:rolleyes:....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for writing back,I'm cool with your final price because i do need this item urgently..let me know if you will accept payment with Money Orders as this is the only way i can make the payment because i am located in Oregon..i don't mind offering you an extra $40 for holding the item for me.
I would have loved to come take a look at it though but i will not be able to do so due to the distance but i'll really appreciate a picture from you.You may reply with your name and contact address also your phone number where you will like to receive the payment.And concerning the shippment i will handle all the shipping expenses myself. I shall look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks

Barry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously a scam. I got pretty much the same email.

Hi
Thanks for writing back,I'm cool with your final price because i do need this item urgently..let me know if you will accept payment with Check as this is the only way i can make the payment because i am located in Oregon ..I don't mind offering you an extra $50 for holding the item for me.
I would have loved to come take a look at it though but i will not be able to do so due to the distance but i'll really appreciate a picture from you.You may reply with your name and contact address also your phone number where you will like to receive the payment.And concerning the shippment i will handle all the shipping expenses myself. I shall look forward to hearing from you soon.
Here are some of the details I will need for final assurance of the payment to you.
(1) Full Name
(2) Mailing address, no p.o.box please
(3) your direct telephone number
Hear from you soon . God Bless
Thanks.

Regards

Ray

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Craigslist find of the day

Pre: Sorry, can't find funny Craiglist posts thread, will post this find here :D

Unique New York City Apartment Share for an 'Attractive, Slim, and Easygoing' Girl

http://www.brobible.com/story/13157342/unique-new-york-city-apartment-share-attractive-slim-and-easygoing-girl

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/roo/1726005915.html

$300 Unique share for an adventurous woman (East Village)
Date: 2010-05-05, 2:23PM EDT
Reply to: tapro88@yahoo.com [Errors when replying to ads?]

Let me start off by saying that I know many of you are going to find this ad to be offensive. Yes, for some people this will be the most ridiculous type of share arrangement possible, but to others who have a different outlook on life, this might be a potentially great thing for them.
A few years ago I read an article in a magazine about a roomate situation that inspired me. I wasn't able to do it at the time because I didn't have the means, but now I do. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment that was purchased for me (parents saw it as a good investment opportunity). It is in the heart of the East Village and I live alone.
The apartment is almost 2,000 square feet, two large bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, kitchen that you can cook big meals in, and a spacious living area.
I am offering my second bedroom for only $300 a month to an attractive, slim, and easy going woman between the ages of 18-27. Ok here is the catch: I would like you to walk around in your underwear. Not all the time, and never at my command. It would be as if you lived alone and walked around in your underwear to run to the kitchen, bathroom, watch TV....etc.
I am 27, work in finance, and am at the tough part of my career where I have to work 65 hour weeks to "pay my dues". This has made my social life non-existent. I have friends, but I just am too tired to ever see them. I guess I am trying to add some excitement to my life.
The apartment is right off Second Ave near St Mark's street.
This will be a 100% confidential arrangement. I know that it makes no sense to put my pic on here if I want it to be confidential, but I figured it was a necessary risk to take if I wanted solid responses. If you are interested please send me your pic. It does not have to be a provocative pic. But a body pic would help.
Please do not judge me....we all have our reasons.....Thanks

-Keith

Jed M

Jed M

Full Audioholic
Speaking of scams, my business is always getting calls for the "online yellow pages" scam. I swear its sometimes twice a day. Its insane and I used to tell them to shove it but now I just hang up as soon as I hear that accent and the familiar pitch of wanting to confirm my business's name. Its not only bs, it just a waste of my time. It really is too bad that industries like this are allowed to do business here.

If you don't know what I am talking about, consider yourself lucky.

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
Definitely a scam. I received similar emails when I attempted to sell a few things on craigslist. I hate those bastard scammers (If they had dads they wouldn't do these kind of shenanigans) ;)

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
Obviously a scam. I got pretty much the same email.

Hi
Thanks for writing back,I'm cool with your final price because i do need this item urgently..let me know if you will accept payment with Check as this is the only way i can make the payment because i am located in Oregon ..I don't mind offering you an extra $50 for holding the item for me.
Here are some of the details I will need for final assurance of the payment to you.
(1) Full Name
(2) Mailing address, no p.o.box please
(3) your direct telephone number
Hear from you soon . God Bless
Thanks.

Regards

Ray

I like how they throw in the "God Bless"...must be a blessing from satan

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I never give anyone my information or address, nor do I let them come to my house to pick anything up even if it is small. I don't care if they have my email because I know how to delete spam :) I have yet to be scammed on the payment side, however I have bought items that showed up not as described. From CL, I always have to see it first if buying and have to meet them in person if they are buying and I bring at least one extra person and meet in a large public venue.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis