She loves my Dynaudio!!!

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Future shop is definitely not a favorable place for auditioning speakers. As a matter of fact he mentioned he liked the RC mini's to a point and they incorporate the exact same drivers and components? Go figure:).
Yep, that probably explains why the minis compare well against $300 sats when they're on sale, and why the 70's don't fare so well against $2400 speakers using the same drivers. Jeese, I should have kept my yapper shut about these. I know FS isn't the greatest place to demo, but I figured I'd be able to hear the quality in nearfield listening. I didn't. But I shall not criticize anybody here for recommending them nor contradict their experience. Carry on.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Well .... CRAP! :mad:

Apparently I did jinx myself. The mint, Aerial 7B store demo speakers were delivered yesterday and were made into toast by the UPS gorillas. Both boxes had been dropped and perfect speakers are now trash. One speaker had some of the bottom ripped out of it by the steel Sound Anchor stand when it was dropped. It also has top cabinet damage, but not too bad. The second speaker is damaged around the top and on the corners. It was dropped pretty sharply, it appears.

Now I'm pretty saddened by this as I've been wanting and saving up for a set forever it seems. This was the nicest used pair I've seen that we could afford. I sure hope there are no snags in getting my money back from the ebay seller. He seems like a stand-up guy.
:(

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai

Apparently I did jinx myself. The mint, Aerial 7B store demo speakers were delivered yesterday and were made into toast by the UPS gorillas. Both boxes had been dropped and perfect speakers are now trash. One speaker had some of the bottom ripped out of it by the steel Sound Anchor stand when it was dropped. It also has top cabinet damage, but not too bad. The second speaker is damaged around the top and on the corners. It was dropped pretty sharply, it appears.

Now I'm pretty saddened by this as I've been wanting and saving up for a set forever it seems. This was the nicest used pair I've seen that we could afford. I sure hope there are no snags in getting my money back from the ebay seller. He seems like a stand-up guy.

Wow that is sad to hear about your speakers. I don't think it will be a problem getting your money back from UPS as long it was insured. While I don't know how much you paid for the Aerials PM me because I have a contact for a dealer here in Austin, TX that doesn't have a showroom so he sells them below MSRP so he might be able to get you into a brand new pair with a good discount.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief

UPS is horrible: http://www.unitedpackagesmashers.com/ (haha)

Sorry to hear about your speaker. Instead of shipping it back to the buyer, I would try and get your money from UPS. If you ship it back, it's going to be another hassle.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
That's terrible. Those pictures are painful to look at knowing how much you were looking forward to them. Now I feel like I jinxed you.:(

I hope you can get things sorted out with UPS and the seller.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
UPS is horrible: http://www.unitedpackagesmashers.com/ (haha)

Sorry to hear about your speaker. Instead of shipping it back to the buyer, I would try and get your money from UPS. If you ship it back, it's going to be another hassle.
Thanks. It would also cost a couple of hundred to ship it back. He (the seller/shipper) shipped it with UPS, but he has to deal with them as the insurer...I can't. I'm just hanging out here in the wind. :(

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Does UPS know that the speakers are damaged? Was there obvious damage to the boxes? I just wonder how they could have the balls to deliver a package they know they've damaged in their care.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Does UPS know that the speakers are damaged? Was there obvious damage to the boxes? I just wonder how they could have the balls to deliver a package they know they've damaged in their care.
Yeah, I pointed it out to the delivery guy. His response was, "oh". UPS will now go out of its way to blame the shipper and poor packaging and try not to honor the insurance. Pretty typical, actually.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Oh man!

RJ, sorry to read about you misfortune:(! Those bas..... are useless when will they learn the motto "handle with care"! So, when UPS next time asks the proverbial question "what can brown do for you", I'd say go to hell.:)

Good luck, Bill

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
It's been a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd revisit this thread with an update. I ran the Dyne's for a couple of weeks and switched back to the Era D5's a couple days ago. I don't know if I heading for some audiophile heresy, but I prefer the Era to the Dynaudio, simply as a matter of preference. I just like the fuller, heavier and less forward sound of the Era.

This does create a little controversy in the house. As the title of the thread suggests, my wife loves the Dynaudio and I am currently under orders to put them back in place, but that's OK. What this does is leaves me with my choice of speaker to use as the basis for a sweet two channel set-up (if I could only find a room to set it up in).

But still, the purpose of my getting the Dyne's in the first place was to try something different, to explore the hobby and be able to quickly shift from one experience to another when I simply need a change. The two speakers are so very different from each other, yet each can be enjoyed in it's own way for it's own qualities.

RJ, how goes the battle with UPS and the seller? Are they taking care of you properly?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
RJ, how goes the battle with UPS and the seller? Are they taking care of you properly?
No news, Dave. All the people I've dealt with have been darn nice, but nice doesn't put the speakers in my livingroom. I expect I'll have more to report later in the week.

AverageJoe and I sort of A/B'ed one 7B against one of my JBL S312s. I hate to say much because it was a spontaneous, ill-prosecuted comparison. But based upon just what we heard, the JBLs were not embarrassed by the 5X more costly Aerials. The Aerial needed a better placement and more power available to it. It had a cleaner top end but less extension. This latter finding must be placement or power related because the 7Bs are spec'ed at 34Hz - 20kHz, +/- 2dB. The S312s are 35Hz - 20kHz, +/-3dB. Hopefully we'll be able to do some serious 2-channel comparisons later. My hope and intention is that the Aerials are sort of like JBLs on steroids...a bit more dynamic and a bit crisper. ;) That is the sound I prefer, and I think I may have a winner. But are they worth the money? That remains to be seen.

Your comments about the ERAs and Dyns are interesting and cause me to express a couple of random thoughts. Joe and I talked at length about this issue, as he recently got a new set of speakers for his HT. I have said this before, and the audiophiles will snicker in contempt, but I must say that there is NO SUCH THING as a speaker UPGRADE. It's all lateral, my comparison comments above notwithstanding. Speakers are all, not only different, but subject to biased ears/brain links. I don't care if they are made of concrete and are completely inert or are open baffle, cheap or expensive, or measure any which way but loose. They are just DIFFERENT, not better or worse. It's all in what you prefer. They are so subjective and there are so many variables in the delivery of sound to the listener in his/her listening space that any talk of loudspeakers being "in a different league" or "an upgrade" is really irrelevant to reality. (Cabinet quality, or speaker aesthetics would be an exception to the rule. :))

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis