Bush admin trying to slowly kill Public Broadcastin

I personally don't watch public television and don't actually know anyone who does. I used to when I was a kid, but we didn't have VCRs then. Now I can control the content my children consumer - which I like better.

As such I really don't weant my tax dollars going to something I don't use. Fee-based would suit me just fine.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
As with everything, you can only read news media for half the true story, as it will intentionally omit the full picture in lieu of painting yet another negative picture of those in charge, that an ufortunate many (without mentioning any names) readily eat up and use it to further their own ignorant points of view.
Halon,
Very well done!

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks Rick - just my gentle way of stating an obvious point without destroying yet another thread with senseless bickering. ;)
Now who would that be?? :confused: Who amongst us has posted without adding something substantive???

Of course well-informed people get their information from several credible sources...at least. I'll tell you (all the naysayers) what...I've seen discussions and interviews on PBS via Charlie Rose and Bill Moyers that I've seen nowhere else...and that's a fact. Now stick that in your pipe and smoke it!! :p

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
What's all this talk about publicly funded television programming?

Public TV is a must......I happen to think it's taxpayer $$$$'s well spent:rolleyes:

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks Rick - just my gentle way of stating an obvious point without destroying yet another thread with senseless bickering. ;)
It's all the fault of SVS and their business practices!:D

Eventually, Corp. of Public Broadcasting is going to have to be cut from the government and turn into a completely self-supporting entity like the US Postal Service. As was pointed out earlier, it probably is ready right now to do that. If I was in the same situation where the government had been giving me monies for years and years I would fight for it too.

The children's programming isn't necessarily reflective of the Corporation itself as much as what society feels is appropriate. After all, there are human brains behind all of this (that's a sad thought to chew on, sometimes...).

-pat

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
It really is true that if a lie is repeated often enough, people will believe it. The lie being that PBS shows are all left-leaning. Since none of you seem to know what is actually on, you might want to take a look at your TV listings. Of course, if you don't know a show by its name, that might not help. So, take a look at:

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1971

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20040830/alterman

Yeah, William F. Buckley's left-wing commie propaganda is no longer on, since he died, but it just shows the kind of bias that liberal PBS network has!

Of course, if one is to the right of Hitler*, then one might regard it all as "left-leaning", but otherwise, the only way to believe that is to have no idea of what they are actually broadcasting.

*This reference is in honor of:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41726

Enjoy!

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
For anyone who still thinks that PBS is fair and balanced or that the media does not tilt to the left 90 percent of the time then I suggest you take a gander here at this site. However, if you can't handle the fact that they use the actual words people say to prove their point then you may not want to look, for fear of being proved how wrong you are.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
For anyone who still thinks that PBS is fair and balanced or that the media does not tilt to the left 90 percent of the time then I suggest you take a gander here at this site. However, if you can't handle the fact that they use the actual words people say to prove their point then you may not want to look, for fear of being proved how wrong you are.
Care to provide a direct link to whatever article it is that you imagine shows that the media tilts "to the left 90 percent of the time" or about PBS in particular, or do you just like posting a link to the main page of a far right wing organization?

Of course, whether one regards the media as leaning to the left or leaning to the right is likely to depend upon one's personal position. Typically, those who lean to the far right imagine that the media is left leaning, and those who lean to the far left imagine that the media is right leaning. In a way, both are correct, in that the media is mostly to the left of far right leaning people, and the media is mostly to the right of far left leaning people.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I personally don't watch public television and don't actually know anyone who does. I used to when I was a kid, but we didn't have VCRs then. Now I can control the content my children consumer - which I like better.

As such I really don't weant my tax dollars going to something I don't use. Fee-based would suit me just fine.
Using the principle that one should not pay for what one does not use, people without school age children should not be paying taxes for children's education (nor should people with children be getting a tax break, as that is essentially paying people to have children), and no one outside of Louisiana should pay a dime to rebuild New Orleans. Additionally, by that principle, federal tax dollars should never be spent on any state or local project, as that is everyone in the country paying for a state or local thing. Do you hold those positions as well, or is PBS a special case for you?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis