Bose companion 2 or 3 or Klipsch Promedia??

S

sbs666

Audiophyte
First the quick facts and then the question at the end :)

- Cannot decide between Bose companion2, companion3 and Klipsch promedia 2.1. All websites have equally good (4/5 stars in general) reviews about all 3 products.

- My budget is $200. Bose2 is $100, Bose3 is $200, Klipsch is $120

- I'm not an audiophile but would like as good a sound quality as is possible within my budget

- I listen to mp3's (128-256 kbps) off my laptop (which most probably doesn't have a dedicated sound-card)

Question:

It may seem weird to compare a 2 piece Bose system with a 3 piece Bose system...but I just wanted to know if its worth paying double the price for a 3 piece one. Is the sound quality really that better?

And how about the Klipsch...is it just better than these Bose systems? I don't mind paying extra for Bose at all if they have better sound.
But heard a lot of complains that Klipsch doesn't have very good build quality. The sub-woofer keeps dying and stuff. I'm taking these speakers out of USA and returning is NOT an option.

So now you know the situation. Would be gr8 if someone would help!

Thanks in advance!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The AudioEngine desktop speakers are pretty darn good looking too.:) They are well received as well.

I have heard complaints about the Klipsch as well, though I have not come across anyone personally that had trouble with them. I am thinking maybe the reliability dispute was because of the amount of units they sold. Those Klipsch promedia systems used to sell like crazy, so there was bound to be some rotten ones here and there. Also remember the general rule, if a customer is pleased with a product they might tell one person, if they aren't pleased they tell 10 people.;)

Logitech has a great track record and makes good bang for buck systems. Even their less expensive offerings would sound better than anything, and I do mean "ANYTHING" that Bose puts out for computer speakers. Bose Blose, please don't buy them.;)

S

sbs666

Audiophyte
Thanks Steven!!

Well those AudioEngine ones DO look good! But this 2-piece system costs as much as a Bose 3-piece one.

Would you say that these will match-up in clarity, sharpness and base to a 3-piece Bose?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks Steven!!Would you say that these will match-up in clarity, sharpness and base to a 3-piece Bose?
Your question should be the inverse. Don't believe all the marketing hype surrounding Bose.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks Steven!!

Well those AudioEngine ones DO look good! But this 2-piece system costs as much as a Bose 3-piece one.

Would you say that these will match-up in clarity, sharpness and base to a 3-piece Bose?
It will match it, and trump it many times over. As I said, Bose Blose. $50 Logitech speakers would blow those Bose Companion 3s out of the water. Trust me, they truly suck.:)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Steven!!

You don't have to believe me. But use the search feature on every audio forum on the internet and type in Bose.

Bose had one of the most aggressive, and excellent marketing campaigns. The everyday guy that reads or listens to Bose adds. Or see that car he likes with the Bose system installed. Is under the belief that Bose is the best in audio this world has to offer. They do sound good to someone that isn't listening for how bad they are. The placebo effect.

S

sbs666

Audiophyte
Thank you so much Steven, Seth and Rnatalli. Thank you for opening my eyes. It is true that as a novice I always thought that if I have Bose, I have probably made the best choice.

Does anyone else have anything to share?

By the way, does anybody here own these audioengine speakers?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis