darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I once had a black woman tell me that she could not be racist...wasn't possible.
That's a pretty stupid thing to say. I've known a few racist black people. Unfortunately, there's probably just as many black's that don't like whites as vice-versa.

My college girlfriend was black and said that she didn't think she could ever date a white guy.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Dad's black, mom's white. And my statement was mostly in jest. But you get my point.
Well, if you mean the importance of MLK, yes. But you understand that half of the country, let alone the world, was born after his death, and how many of them take the time to care to understand? That's the question.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
That's a pretty stupid thing to say. I've known a few racist black people. Unfortunately, there's probably just as many black's that don't like whites as vice-versa.

My college girlfriend was black and said that she didn't think she could ever date a white guy.
You said that, not me. :) Actually, my verbiage, if I recall correctly, was that it was an ignorant thing to say. And let me explain to you why...

And let us not forget racism expands past black/white. It encompasses all races of the world. And that was part of my message to her: how is it that everyone else, including whites, can be racist, but not you (or your race)?

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Believe me, I know how MLK is/was. His "I have a dream", speech is one of the most eloquent pieces of American literature ever written.

I just don't understand how people can be so close-minded to be opposed to a holiday in honor of a truly great American. My whole point was just to tell people to "lighten up".

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Believe me, I know how MLK is/was. His "I have a dream", speech is one of the most eloquent pieces of American literature ever written.
I believe you. And I agree. Philosophical, poignant, timeless, honest.

I just don't understand how people can be so close-minded to be opposed to a holiday in honor of a truly great American. My whole point was just to tell people to "lighten up".

Well, I don't know about all that, but I started this thread to draw attention to the separatists actions. "Open-minded" and "light" are not terms that I would ise to describe them. :eek:

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Agreed - and it's really doing nothing to help the situation or ease tensions one way or the other. I think part of the problem is we've all come from generations of hatred and mistrust, prejudice, pre-conceived notions and stereotypical attitudes. Maybe some were born into families that practiced such prejudice, and therefore learned by example. Others might have had bad experiences in their lives in which the opposite race was the major culprit. Either way, it doesn't justify it, but is a cause to the eventual effect.

The other percentage are those who are racist by what they consume and digest amid pop-culture and media, and other forms of propaganda. These are the blind fools who have no ability to think for themselves and are easily washed into the fold behind the aforementioned hate mongers like Metzger or Duke, or the supposed "activists" and "civil rights leaders" like Sharpton.

Racism is racism, no matter how pretty one makes it look in the media.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
like Metzger or Duke, or the supposed "activists" and "civil rights leaders" like Sharpton.
Ever notice how much carisma these guys have,i swear when i hear or see any one of them ranting i have to stop everything & im hanging on every word that comes out of their mouths.

These dudes are like watching Hitler on the history channel,it's easy to see how they get everybody all wound up.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Ever notice how much carisma these guys have,i swear when i hear or see any one of them ranting i have to stop everything & im hanging on every word that comes out of their mouths.

These dudes are like watching Hitler on the history channel,it's easy to see how they get everybody all wound up.
Yep. Uptight. My medicine for uptightness: Easy Blues by Jimi. Yeah......:)

posted a link in the music forum "What are you listening to now?" Anyone that's uptight about race relations, or whatever, just needs to chill, and jam to some easy blues.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
We get all kinds of racism down here: black/white, latin/latin, latin/white, white/black, black/latin, white/latin, black/black, and latin countries against latin countries. So stupid and pointless. I guess it's easy to be a racist when a person can't see their own shortcomings.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
We get all kinds of racism down here: black/white, latin/latin, latin/white, white/black, black/latin, white/latin, black/black, and latin countries against latin countries. So stupid and pointless. I guess it's easy to be a racist when a person can't see their own shortcomings.
Yes, it's unfortunate.

Getting back to the woman who told me she could not be racist...her reason was that in order to be racist one needs to be in a position of power and influence. I quickly retorted that's simply not true...power and influence may certainly facilitate a racist act, but those two criteria are not the necessary ingredients to be a racist.

Anyhow, this is not the first time I've heard this take...this misconception about racism. I don't know if I persuaded this woman (or the couple of others that I talked to) to change their view that anyone can be racist...the rich and powerful, and the poor and homeless, and everyone in between. Because misconceptions like these fuel the fire of racism (and ignorance), and society's unwillingness to confront these issues fester the open wound further.

So Halon touched on it, I'm wondering if anyone else cares to share their take on Sharpton's (and other African American crusaders that seem to always jump on the race card first) most powerful weapon. Anyone?

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
So Halon touched on it, I'm wondering if anyone else cares to share their take on Sharpton's (and other African American crusaders that seem to always jump on the race card first) most powerful weapon. Anyone?
Its pretty simple to me,all those nut's use fear to bolster their position.

Its not just the black crusaders that use fear as a recruiting tool the KKK & Aryan Nation both use the same tactics,only the speel of s#!t changes from black to white, but the content ALWAYS stays the same,fear of the unknown.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Its pretty simple to me,all those nut's use fear to bolster their position.

Its not just the black crusaders that use fear as a recruiting tool the KKK & Aryan Nation both use the same tactics,only the speel of s#!t changes from black to white, but the content ALWAYS stays the same,fear of the unknown.
Thanks highfi. That's not what I'm going to write...but you too have touched on it.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Sharpton has made a career of the "race card," with it he has gain national attention in the media, has urged controversy in a fictitious rape case to profit from it, calls himself a "reverend" while not upholding the religious ideals behind the title. I can go on and on with this, but it's fairly simple he has made a niche career out of a social condition, has he improved that condition? Will he ever disclose financial information? The sham is too clear, you really would want to deny it's existence in order not to see it or call it for what it is.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I'll take a stab at this.
I think Sharpton's greatest weapon is, 'White Guilt'
White people cower at the mere though of being called a racist.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I'll take a stab at this.
I think Sharpton's greatest weapon is, 'White Guilt'
White people cower at the mere though of being called a racist.
Very good Rickster. You hit it right on the head. Sharpton, his followers, and others like him employ the guilt factor in all their controversies. Win by attrition. Sharpton's legacy will befit him. But the "logic" of his approach is readily set aside aside if one has done nothing wrong. And make no mistake, Sharpton has done some good...and he continues to do so. But I have nothing to atone for. And I am not shy about expressing that fact.

I did not want this to turn into a hate mongering thread (that's not directed at you strat or you highfi). Understanding is necessary for peace. And many do not understand...many do not care to. This topic is unspeakable in many places....not for me. And I have no guilt...not on this topic. I am self-righteous in my words and actions because I conduct myself accordingly. And I try to understand.

I live in "the most racially divided" place in the US. Atonement (for past and present mistakes) is necessary if we all want to coexist peacefully. And that is not limited to our past slave practices and years of civil rights infringements on Blacks. We unjustlty treated the Japanese during WWII. We unjustly treated Jews throughout the 20th century. Etc., etc., etc. I have very little to atone for in racial issues. I try to understand, and I regularly have discourse on topics such as these. And I am (rightfully) self-righteous about that.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I respectfully disagree.

Living in the shadows of NYC, we see alot more then most people.

Jesse Jackson is a good man. Yes he's made mistakes in the past (who hasn't), but Jackson has "manned up / owned up" to them, and he's a passionate sincere man.
I have to disagree with your take on Mr. Jackson.

How soon we forget.

For decades Jesse Jackson has intimidated numerous companies into
donating hundreds of millions of dollars to his organization by
suing, protesting, and boycotting them under the guise of
redressing racism. All the while, Jackson benefited himself
first and foremost. Among the big players are Texaco, Coca-
Cola, Ford, Anheuser-Busch and several telecommunications
giants.
As early as 1982 Jackson launched a boycott of Anheuser-
Busch because it purportedly did not have enough black-owned
distributorships nationwide. The beer company eventually
contributed $510,000 to Jackson and established a $10 million
fund to help blacks buy distributorships. When Jackson’s two
sons (Yusef and Jonathan) purchased a River North distributorship
in Chicago for an estimated $30 million, Jackson dropped
the boycott and became the company’s best friend.

Jackson has gone so far as to lobby the Federal
Communications Commission to block companies seeking
government approval to merge, until they donate money to his
organization. In the late 1990s, he opposed the merger of
telecommunications giants SBC and Ameritech, saying it would
be detrimental to low-income customers.
Money changed Jackson’s mind, however. He became the
deal’s biggest cheerleader when the companies donated
$500,000 to one of his Rainbow/PUSH funds.

Shortly after that, he opposed a merger of AT&T and TCI but,
once again, reversed his position after AT&T wrote a $425,000
check. Fearing the wrath of Jackson’s racism accusations,
other telecommunications giants – including GTE and
Bell-Atlantic – followed suit with big contributions.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I have to disagree with your take on Mr. Jackson.

How soon we forget.

For decades Jesse Jackson has intimidated numerous companies into
donating hundreds of millions of dollars to his organization by
suing, protesting, and boycotting them under the guise of
redressing racism. All the while, Jackson benefited himself
first and foremost. Among the big players are Texaco, Coca-
Cola, Ford, Anheuser-Busch and several telecommunications
giants.
As early as 1982 Jackson launched a boycott of Anheuser-
Busch because it purportedly did not have enough black-owned
distributorships nationwide. The beer company eventually
contributed $510,000 to Jackson and established a $10 million
fund to help blacks buy distributorships. When Jackson’s two
sons (Yusef and Jonathan) purchased a River North distributorship
in Chicago for an estimated $30 million, Jackson dropped
the boycott and became the company’s best friend.

Jackson has gone so far as to lobby the Federal
Communications Commission to block companies seeking
government approval to merge, until they donate money to his
organization. In the late 1990s, he opposed the merger of
telecommunications giants SBC and Ameritech, saying it would
be detrimental to low-income customers.
Money changed Jackson’s mind, however. He became the
deal’s biggest cheerleader when the companies donated
$500,000 to one of his Rainbow/PUSH funds.

Shortly after that, he opposed a merger of AT&T and TCI but,
once again, reversed his position after AT&T wrote a $425,000
check. Fearing the wrath of Jackson’s racism accusations,
other telecommunications giants – including GTE and
Bell-Atlantic – followed suit with big contributions.
Yes. But...

One needs to put their directive, their singular purpose in perspective. Jackson and Sharpton's primary purpose is not civil rights. It is equal rights for African Americans. I think their logic is (as it will obviously be a long time) before become truly color blind, if ever, the next best thing is economic advancement. I don't happen to agree with their position, but I certainly understand it. Would I give away the kitchen sink? Absolutely not. But I'm not Busch or GTE. And those corporations have pr to think about. So, in the end, it may have been a prudent decision for them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis