The giant is here: Velodyne DLS 5000R 15" Monster

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Future Shop just delivered this sucker to my door. Bought it for $460can online during the Boxing day sale. I've never seen the sub in person and the box is a frikken giant. I'm afraid of hauling it upstairs to the bedroom theater by myself.

Impressions coming later. It dwarfs my Energy S10.3 in size.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
By all means post your impression here. I am really eager to hear how this sub performs, especially with music.

Is the sub sealed or ported?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Future Shop just delivered this sucker to my door. Bought it for $460can online during the Boxing day sale. I've never seen the sub in person and the box is a frikken giant. I'm afraid of hauling it upstairs to the bedroom theater by myself.

Impressions coming later. It dwarfs my Energy S10.3 in size.
Hey Bluesmoke even at its regular price I though it was a decent sub, just preferred others. At that price point IMO its a an outstanding sub, lets face it outside of DIY you can't touch it for 460.00 in Canada. I would like to hear your thoughts as well? I know the s10.3 is very musical sub, but not so good for H/T and the velo should be better in every aspect.

Regards, Billy P:)

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Hey Bluesmoke even at its regular price I though it was a decent sub, just preferred others. At that price point IMO its a an outstanding sub, lets face it outside of DIY you can't touch it for 460.00 in Canada. I would like to hear your thoughts as well? I know the s10.3 is very musical sub, but not so good for H/T and the velo should be better in every aspect.

Regards, Billy P:)
Yea, the S10.3 is an amazing sub for music. For HT it's not so hot. It just doesn't have the output and High SPL you'd want. Especially with 12 feet ceilings like mine.

I'm waiting for my GF to get home so we can try to bring it upstairs.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You haven't seen a SVS PB-13 Ultra then :D or my sub :eek:

Congrats on the new sub. Let us know what you think.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Pics are coming. I have to say I'm sort of mixed about this sub. I just had it setup. It certainly pounds MUCH harder than my Energy S10.3 and I can feel the floor shake. So far, I've only listened to music. And I feel for my tiny room (14x11x11), it's massive overkill. The S10.3 seemed more accurate with music because I guess the driver could move faster. Even at mid volume my receiver set the bass dlb at -8.5. I brought it up a notch to -5.5. It feels bigger and the bass seems more expansive and with less color than the Energy which had an emphasis on the upper mid bass region (does that make any sense? That's just the Guitar player in me trying to use guitar amp bass analogy). I'm going to try it with Blackhawk Down Blu-ray tonight. I think the pillars downstairs will crumble.

The funny thing is, my Energy RC30s seemed very small before, and now seems miniscule when next to the 15" Velo. :eek:

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
did you put the velo in the same location as the energy sub? 10's are not faster than 15's ... it could be a result of the subwoofer location and room acoustics.

Last edited:
annunaki

annunaki

Mike C is correct here.

10's are not "faster" than 15's. See HERE The difference you are hearing is a result of the 15" having much more output than the 10" especially at frequencies from 50hz-80hz. This will make the sub sound "boomy or sloppy". Properly integrate the sub through calibration and room placement and you should be very happy. :)

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
I think smaller drivers are faster than big drivers. Thinks of speaker drivers as marathon runners. World-class runners are small and slender, not big or fat. What about the distance drivers have to travel (the movement of the cone)? Smaller drivers don't have to travel as far, thus they complete the job faster.

annunaki

annunaki

Did you read the link I provided in the link to the "Subwoofer Myths" thread? That issue is addressed. As long as the woofer has the motor capable of pushing and pullling the mass to the distances the driver is designed for, there is no issue.

Here it is if you missed it :)

The trade off for your way of describing it is the output is significantly lowered and thus requires more drivers to achieve a set volume.

Why is it that the JL Audio W7 series woofers are some of the most accurate drivers on the market in terms of motor and suspension linearity, yet boast some of the highest xmax numbers available for their size categories, specifically the smaller drivers????

Your analogy is flawed to a fairly large degree.

That is like saying a small car will be faster than a bigger car because it should be able to accelrate and deccelerate quicker since it is smaller and thinner. That makes no sense. There are too many variables involved that play into the equation with woofers or cars than simply the size of the cones or the cars.

If the bigger car has an appropriate amount of horsepower/torque and braking system it will/can be every bit as quick as the smaller car or faster.

If the bigger car is made of carbon fiber composite, (weighing 400 lbs. less than the small car), a ceramic/carbon brake setup, and 300 more horsepower it can easily match or beat the small car.

This is not the best analogy but more fitting. :)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I think smaller drivers are faster than big drivers. Thinks of speaker drivers as marathon runners. World-class runners are small and slender, not big or fat. What about the distance drivers have to travel (the movement of the cone)? Smaller drivers don't have to travel as far, thus they complete the job faster.
You think wrong. When the driver slows down, it plays a different note altogether. The distance is just volume. It's the speed that determines the frequency. And small drivers need to move farther to reproduce the same SPL as a larger driver. Moving air = SPL.

SheepStar

annunaki

annunaki

Other ways to look at it.

Other ways to look at it:

If the smaller cones completed the job faster than the input signal they would not be producing the appropriate frequency. If a driver is sent a 60hz input signal and it moves faster as your logic suggests it might actually produce a 65hz signal. A larger woofer moving the same distance as a smaller driver actually moves the same speed as the smaller driver yet has more output since it has a larger surface area. A smaller woofer actually has to worker harder to keep up with a larger driver in terms of output as it must move farther to equal the amount of output since it is at a disadvantage in terms of surface area.

Here is way to think about it correctly.

We have two woofers, woofer A and woofer B. "A" has a 10" cone with 12mm of linear xmax and "B" has a 12" cone with 18mm of linear xmax.

Say Cone A has an xmax of 6mm at 50hz and 95db. Cone B is a 12" and has an xmax of 3mm at 50hz and 95db. Cone "B" does not need to move as far because it has a sizeable advantage in surface area. Cone B also requires a lower amount of input from the amplier to do this amount of work since it has a higher amount of surface area.

Since it is at a surface area disadvantage, a smaller woofer indeed must move the cone out faster and pull it back faster since it is moving farther to reproduce a said said frequency at a given output properly. In your terms of thinking the smaller woofer would actually sound "slower" because it has to cover more distance. As long as both woofers move back and forth 60 times a second they will reproduce the same frequency.

This is most likely where this myth is derrived.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
how about this example I read on AVS:

you're on a sinking boat. you got two buckets, a 10" and 15" one. which one will get the water out FASTER?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
how about this example I read on AVS:

you're on a sinking boat. you got two buckets, a 10" and 15" one. which one will get the water out FASTER?
Mike, if the boat is sinking I think your screwed either way!:p LOL

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
So, a smaller driver will have to travel a larger distance in order to achieve the same SPL as the larger driver. This makes very good sense.

However, this requires the larger driver has a motor of sufficient quality and power to move the larger driver without creating too much distortion. And such a large motor is difficult and expensive to produce.

As to the car analogy. How many cars do you see made entirely out of composite materials. If two cars are made of the same materials, pound for pound, the engine in the smaller car has to accelerate significantly less mass than that engine in the bigger. Thus that bigger car needs to have a much more powerful, and refined engine, in order to achieve the same acceleration, and the same quality of acceleration, as the smaller car.

Large motors of such refinement are difficult to design and expensive to produce.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis