40GB $399 PS3 Revealed With Spiderman 3 Bundle

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Nice, if only I felt that any format had any certainty of winning.:(
I hear that. But in the mean time I'll get to play some games and watch some HD movies with HD sound. I can't remember the last time I bought a DVD because I'm waiting to see what happens.
If the prices on the HD-DVD's come down so more, I may pick one of those up after X-mas.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't need certainty to get me to buy a PS3 :) Regardless of the format war, Blu-ray will remain as long as the PS3 does. I haven't been buying a ton of movies, but I haven't really bought more than 1 or 2 DVDs since December either, and I used to buy 1-2 movies a week. I bought the PS3 for gaming also though, so it was a no-brainer for me.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't need certainty to get me to buy a PS3 :) Regardless of the format war, Blu-ray will remain as long as the PS3 does. I haven't been buying a ton of movies, but I haven't really bought more than 1 or 2 DVDs since December either, and I used to buy 1-2 movies a week. I bought the PS3 for gaming also though, so it was a no-brainer for me.

Some of us are cheaper than others.

HEY! I'm not cheap. Just, affordable.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
hopefully it won't be too long after the $400 version comes out that I'll see more used 60 gig versions being sold for under $400, or even some used 40 gig versions. I wouldn't mind picking up a good used PS3 for $300-$350.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Other and the hard drive size difference, are the systems identical? Any benifits of having an 80GB hard drive if I intend to put a USB hard drive to store any ripped media and downloaded videos?

I know from PC experience that a hard drive works fastest if it is mostly empty. Does that hold true for the PS3 by way of longer load times, slowness in game play, etc.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
So Amazon is giving any 2 BDs from the whole catalog free in addition to the 5 from Sony. Not a bad deal at all.

A closer inspection of the Sony 5 free BD Rebate form revealed that the offer is valid up till 01/31/2008. So I will probably wait for Christmas deals on the PS3 and get one then.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
$399 Dollar 40GB PS3 All But Confirmed [Uros "2Lions" Jojic]
12:53 pm EDT @ October 02nd, 2007

The evidence of the upcoming release of the $399 dollar 40GB Playstation 3 is mounting. Sony is said to be making a "big announcement" on October 12 and it looks like the cheaper 40GB PS3 is it.

Listings for the new unit are popping up at online retailers (and then being removed). Stuff like internal Best Buy documents which list the new model as "PS3 40GB SPIDER" with an in-stock date of October 28. And then more PS3 model number evidence.

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=100207_12

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Other and the hard drive size difference, are the systems identical? Any benifits of having an 80GB hard drive if I intend to put a USB hard drive to store any ripped media and downloaded videos?

I know from PC experience that a hard drive works fastest if it is mostly empty. Does that hold true for the PS3 by way of longer load times, slowness in game play, etc.
The reason for the 80 gig is because most people don't know they can add one via USB or exchange the internal one. Those that do know may not feel it is something they could do easily, so they just get the 80 gig. I personally want to find one that has the PS2 hardware and a small HDD and put my own in it, if I decide I need it. I don't play many games or expect to put large amounts of music or movies on the HDD, so I may not need to upgrade the HDD.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd look for a 20G then, unless you want Wi-fi built in.

Adding a USB drive doesn't solve everything, as you cannot copy everything that is on the internal drive over to a USB drive - games, even downloaded demos, cannot be copied. You can copy downloaded video content (movie, game trailers), music, photos and saved games.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'd look for a 20G then, unless you want Wi-fi built in.

Adding a USB drive doesn't solve everything, as you cannot copy everything that is on the internal drive over to a USB drive - games, even downloaded demos, cannot be copied. You can copy downloaded video content (movie, game trailers), music, photos and saved games.
All features that aren't necessary for me at the moment.

Thanks for posting anyway, as others may read it and be able to decide on what they may need or want given all these factors. We should have an official PS3 thread here as well as one for the 360.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With the ability to stream music from any PC on the network to the PS3, storing music isn't really necessary. Same with photos basically, if you have them on a PC, no need to store them on the PS3 unless you want to use them for a slide show or background. Downloaded video? I keep some of them, but basically one can delete them once they are viewed. I bought the USB drive because I can use it for everything, not just the PS3 vs buying a much lower capacity internal drive for the same price (got 320G USB for what it would cost for about 100 to 120G internal)

N

NeverSeen

Audioholic
ohhhhh man! i have a $400 GC to Ccity to replace me 360... this sure tempts me into buying a PS3. Only problem is i wont have any games and i really don't want to spend the extra money on them... I think i have about 5 games for the 360 plus all the accesories... MAN!

Do I get a PS3 with the BluRay and WiFi built in
Or do i get a 360 Elite that i still need to add on a HD DVD and wireless thing????

PS3 makes it look like such a good deal even if i do lose out on all my accesories and my handful of games....

Its a shame i'll be out of the country when the 28th rolls around.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Getting the PS3 for it's BR capabilities makes sense...over and above the gaming features. BUT...can someone please confirm this?...I've been told that the fans are so loud in these things that the joy of watching BR discs is diminished by the noise. True?

(Look at me...talking like Mulester7...all dots...stream of thought....heh...heh....;) I hope the old guy is doing well.)

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Getting the PS3 for it's BR capabilities makes sense...over and above the gaming features. BUT...can someone please confirm this?...I've been told that the fans are so loud in these things that the joy of watching BR discs is diminished by the noise. True?

(Look at me...talking like Mulester7...all dots...stream of thought....heh...heh....;) I hope the old guy is doing well.)
If you keep your ps3 in an open well ventilated area (as is appropriate with all components) the fans will never turn on high which is the only time they get unreasonably loud. Ever since I switched component racks the ps3 fans have never turned on their highest setting even after being on for more than three times as long. Since this switch I have never had an audible experience with my PS3's fans previous to this new rack there was the occasional time I heard the fans and it was disruptive, but only during quiet scenes in movies. When the fans kicked in on high the unit was unnecessarily hot and more ventilation was needed.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have mine in a well ventilated rack and my fans never switch to high either. During very quiet passages I can hear a bit of the noise, but overall it is pretty hard to notice.

this sure tempts me into buying a PS3. Only problem is i wont have any games and i really don't want to spend the extra money on them...
You can always rent games and/or trade your 360 games in or eBay them to buy new ones.

Last edited:
A

Abear

Audiophyte
I have mine in a well ventilated rack and my fans never switch to high either. During very quiet passages I can hear a bit of the noise, but overall it is pretty hard to notice.

You can always rent games and/or trade your 360 games in or eBay them to buy new ones.
Exactly, just sell those damn 360 games and youll be set.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis