China Enters the HD Fray with CH-DVD

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Chinese government announced early Friday a new high definition optical disc standard specifically for the Chinese market: China High Definition DVD (CH-DVD). CH-DVD can make use of a simplified DSP, but the drives are essentially blue laser HD-DVD drives. While CH-DVD discs will be incompatible with foreign HD-DVD machines, Chinese manufactured CH-DVD drives will require only simple modifications to be usable as HD-DVD drives. China’s huge manufacturing base will now, by government decree, be turned to producing what are essentially HD-DVD drives, ultimately lowering the cost of such drives on the supply side.

Discuss "China Enters the HD Fray with CH-DVD" here. Read the article.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
This is avery interesting move by the Chinese(where is Wal-Mart in this, will they now consider placing that million plus order for players?), also notice all the other corporations that are on the blu-ray camp that are also partners, it begs the question. They're hedging their bets, all of them from Sony to Panasonic, where's the loyalty to the consumer that bought into their camp? If I didn't know better I could say that this is the death knell for Blu-ray, but knowing the Chinese (and their business practices), we're are still in a holding pattern, as for the major corporations they are looking out for number 1, themselves. Next big move will come from the major studios, if they smell blood, they'll jump ship. So much for loyalty and healthy competition. Oh well, let's see what Christmas brings us. One more point, if the Chinese go full swing on HD DVD then I would confidently say it would stop being a niche player since the market would be flooded.:confused:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
This is avery interesting move by the Chinese(where is Wal-Mart in this, will they now consider placing that million plus order for players?), also notice all the other corporations that are on the blu-ray camp that are also partners, it begs the question. They're hedging their bets, all of them from Sony to Panasonic, where's the loyalty to the consumer that bought into their camp? If I didn't know better I could say that this is the death knell for Blu-ray, but knowing the Chinese (and their business practices), we're are still in a holding pattern, as for the major corporations they are looking out for number 1, themselves. Next big move will come from the major studios, if they smell blood, they'll jump ship. So much for loyalty and healthy competition. Oh well, let's see what Christmas brings us. One more point, if the Chinese go full swing on HD DVD then I would confidently say it would stop being a niche player since the market would be flooded.:confused:
Why is it not a surprise that only the consumer likes competition. Business likes monopoly:D
AT&T tried it and is back for another round. Microsoft thought they might.
Now, with China and its power play, their huge population and expansion potential, they will have a huge say unless something drastic happens; what, I have no idea:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Why is it not a surprise that only the consumer likes competition. Business likes monopoly:D
AT&T tried it and is back for another round. Microsoft thought they might.
Now, with China and its power play, their huge population and expansion potential, they will have a huge say unless something drastic happens; what, I have no idea:D
Well they'll have a say in hardware production and possibly an influence to swing a defined format, but not software, that is still up to the major studios. The fact that they will have their own format is inconsequential to us, but the fact that the hardware is HD DVD based, well, that's a different story.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
I've read somewhere that this joint-venture is mostly supported by the Matsushita Group (Panasonic).
Ironically, Panasonic (so far), only supports BD though.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I've read somewhere that this joint-venture is mostly supported by the Matsushita Group (Panasonic).
Ironically, Panasonic (so far), only supports BD though.
Yeah, that was my point, they're hedging their bets, so if HD DVD "wins" they'll be backed up by cheap hardware from China that's easy to rebadge until they get their "proprietary" design built and that's wishful thinking, they might just badge engineer the whole mess and leave it at that, cut their loses from Blu-ray production and stiff all the consumers that bought into the Blu-ray camp, like I've said before the law of early adoption is simple: you get burnt, it is inviolable.:mad:

Matsushita, Sony , LG, ATI, IBM, NEC, Nokia, Phillips have joined and partnered with the Chinese pseudo-HD DVD conglomerate. Something smells.

Last edited:
avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Very much true, Stratman,

and that means Panasonic is in a very comfortable position and just waiting patiently. No way to lose, IMO, though:)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Very much true, Stratman,

and that means Panasonic is in a very comfortable position and just waiting patiently. No way to lose, IMO, though:)
That's right it's a win-win situation for them.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I am assuming one of the major reasons must have been anti-piracy push from Movie Industry...

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, that was my point, they're hedging their bets, so if HD DVD "wins" they'll be backed up by cheap hardware from China that's easy to rebadge until they get their "proprietary" design built and that's wishful thinking, they might just badge engineer the whole mess and leave it at that, cut their loses from Blu-ray production and stiff all the consumers that bought into the Blu-ray camp, like I've said before the law of early adoption is simple: you get burnt, it is inviolable.:mad:

Matsushita, Sony , LG, ATI, IBM, NEC, Nokia, Phillips have joined and partnered with the Chinese pseudo-HD DVD conglomerate. Something smells.
Sony is smart for getting in on this. That way, when they realize that most people are not interested in their overpriced and overhyped players, they will have something to fall back on.

Pat

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Remember, these companies aren't out to make us happy, they're in it for the money, I know it sounds crass, but that's the very nature of business, specially major conglomorates like Matsushita and Sony, they're looking out for their bottom line and investors, we are the consumers, so whatever we get from them is the product that seems best to them to enlarge their bottom line. The Chinese are the "spoilers" if you will, but at the end of the game the only ones "hurt" will be the ones that early adopted and chose the wrong camp.:(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis