July Sales Data Out...

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Whats worse than the sales data is Sony's response to being wrong about the Ps3 outselling the 360. You can check out their rebuttle to being wrong about the sales here:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/23/sony-defeats-truman/

A little part I found funny:

"Dave Karraker, the Sony spokesman who predicted the PS3 would overtake the 360, told me that: (1) He was only wrong by a bit, and (2) NPD doesn’t provide an exact count but estimates some portions of the market and (3) No, he would not care to make a prediction about August’s sales figures."

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm still amazed that the PS2 is still selling so well.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I'm still amazed that the PS2 is still selling so well.
Its dirt cheap compared to the rest, less than half the price of the wii, still being developed for and has tons of games out. Basically if you don't want to play mario, zelda, metroid or halo the ps2 has it...

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Its dirt cheap compared to the rest, less than half the price of the wii, still being developed for and has tons of games out. Basically if you don't want to play mario, zelda, metroid or halo the ps2 has it...
Plus Guitar Hero was a big boost. I know people that went out and bought a PS 2 specifically for Guitar Hero.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Plus Guitar Hero was a big boost. I know people that went out and bought a PS 2 specifically for Guitar Hero.
There is a reason Guitar Hero 3 is coming out on Wii/PS3/360 and PS2. There was no way 100 million people were getting alienated.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
It's too bad MS stopped supporting the Xbox, it still had/has life left in it... but I know they are already working on the next generation Xbox console, hopefully they will get that one right the first time.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
There are two other things going for it too:
1. It's a DVD player. For $99, a dvd/game machine is a bargain.
2. The Wii itself. The Wii isn't much more powerful than the PS2, so games can easily be ported across (minus the motion control). For development houses, it's a no brainer to port them, it's cheap and the potential sales are there which will only add to the longevity. Not to mention i'm hearing sony will come out with its own motion controller for the PS2 around christmas...

It's too bad MS stopped supporting the Xbox, it still had/has life left in it... but I know they are already working on the next generation Xbox console, hopefully they will get that one right the first time.
Since when have they gotten *anything* right the first time....Xbox 1 caught on fire, 360's crap out randomly, Zune, Vista...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Too bad they didn't add dvd playback to the Wii, but I think most people who will buy the wii probably already have a dvd player. I'm wouldn't have been difficult to add the capability, and maybe they just need a firmware update to allow it... I don't know.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Apparently Wii has now caught up to the xbox360 in installed base worldwide. 10M consoles in 9mos. is pretty damn good.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
It would be a lot higher if they could keep supply up with the demand in certain areas.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
It would be a lot higher if they could keep supply up with the demand in certain areas.
Really? My wife's brother has a Wii and while Wii Sports was fun for a couple of hours, I can't see wanting to play the other games I've seen for it. All the games seem pretty childish.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Really? My wife's brother has a Wii and while Wii Sports was fun for a couple of hours, I can't see wanting to play the other games I've seen for it. All the games seem pretty childish.
That is the selling point...kids and casual players, not hardcore gamers.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Wow...as i read that i went an perused the games list for the wii between now and the end of the year....there are a TON.

Granted, a lot of them are fluff. But there are some great games either out or coming.

Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Super Mario Galaxy
Smash Bros Brawl
Super Paper Mario

A lot of the games get dismissed as kiddie because of the pervasive use of primary colors and simple graphics. But people who do so are missing out on some truly great games.

With the exception of shooters and racers, there's not much out there for the other platforms. Certainly nothing that compares with Twilight Princess.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, the PS3 game selection is still a bit limited, but it should be growing fairly rapidly by the holidays as well. The target audiences seem pretty clear for both the PS3 and 360...and it isn't the same crowd as the Wii. Childish games can be entertaining, but they also tend to get boring faster; for me anyway. There are some good games, but there aren't any truly epic titles for the PS3 yet IMO.

My son has a Wii and he says the games are too easy, even Resident Evil 4.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
I don't care too much about the PS/3 sales as a game console but as a Blu-Ray player I'm disappointed with each unit that they sell because that makes HD-DVD's job harder.

Before we get too flame war-ry the reason that I like HD-DVD more than BluRay is that this group seems more ameniable to things like managed copy and [in general] slightly fewer headaches for their users. They also seem like a more organized group in terms of features / abilities in their players.

Of course if the HD-DVD backers really wanted to try to win they should push their supposed cost advantage much, much harder and dare BluRay companies to match their prices.

--------------------------------

Now back to the topic .... Does anyone think that Sony really cares a lot about not currently winning this round of the console wars?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis