Behringer A500 Amplifier: Objective Test Results

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Hmm strange indeed. I have not noticed anything with any of my 6. I had one that had a bad rheostat after 6 months and they swapped it for a new amp right away. I have no complaints with their customer service at all. I hope they treat you right.
Please do me a favor, out of my curiosity. Play a piano solo piece and listen closely for any clipping-type distortion on transient peaks. Play the same piece on headphones or another system, if you need reference.

-Chris

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Please do me a favor, out of my curiosity. Play a piano solo piece and listen closely for any clipping-type distortion on transient peaks. Play the same piece on headphones or another system, if you need reference.

-Chris
Ok hang on, firing up some David Lanz

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Chris, nothing, nada. Played it until my ears hurt and no audible distoriton until I reached the tweeters limit at loud levels. I even tried 7 channel stereo mode and still nothing. Are you sure the distortion is coming from the amp and not you output source?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Chris, nothing, nada. Played it until my ears hurt and no audible distoriton until I reached the tweeters limit at loud levels. I even tried 7 channel stereo mode and still nothing. Are you sure the distortion is coming from the amp and not you output source?
The source of the pre-amp signal sending to the amplifier inputs is a Behringer DCX2496. I even swapped out the new DCX2496 for an older DCX2496 that I normally use in my listening room. Same problem. Connect an EP2500 amplifier to the DCX: distortion gone. Argh.

-Chris

Last edited:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
The source of the pre-amp signal sending to the amplifier inputs is a Behringer DCX2496. I even swapped out the new DCX2496 for an older DCX2496 that I normally use in my listening room. Same problem. Connect an EP2500 amplifier to the DCX: distortion gone. Argh.

-Chris
That stinks, Well Behringer should make it right.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
That stinks, Well Behringer should make it right.
Yes, I hope so. I just ordered two Crown XLS 202D amplifiers to replace the A500 amplifiers for my computer speakers. Hopefully, Behringer will fix the amplifiers in a timely manner. Then, I will sell them on eBay to re-claim at least some of the funds.

-Chris

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
dual bridged for PC speakers?! damn! and they call me overkill ... :D

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
dual bridged for PC speakers?! damn! and they call me overkill ... :D
Yes, these are technically PC speakers, since they are exclusive for my PC. However, in reality, it is an extremely well treated environment with very wide bandwidth absorption and extremely linear and low resonance speakers for monitoring purposes. It will be a more linear and less colored monitor system than you can find in the the majority of professional sound studios. Bass linearity is still limited, as I can not practically apply the level of bass control used in some high end studios(essentially unlimited). It must be noted that this system is designed for accuracy and resolution, not for musical enjoyment. I would never use a monopole system with such deprived acoustic ambiance reflections for music listening enjoyment purposes.

The amps will not be bridged. It is an active speaker system controlled by a Behringer DCX2496. A Behringer EP2500 to the woofers, a Crown XLS 202D to the mids and a Crown XLS 202D to the highs. Because one of the primary intentions of this system is to edit/manipulate uncompressed live acoustic recordings(a new hobby I am trying out), I want ensure that no amplifier clipping can occur. These amps are so reasonably priced these days, that it was not a hard decision to go with this much power.

-Chris

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
Yes, these are technically PC speakers, since they are exclusive for my PC. However, in reality, it is an extremely well treated environment with very wide bandwidth absorption and extremely linear and low resonance speakers for monitoring purposes. It will be a more linear and less colored monitor system than you can find in the the majority of professional sound studios. Bass linearity is still limited, as I can not practically apply the level of bass control used in some high end studios(essentially unlimited). It must be noted that this system is designed for accuracy and resolution, not for musical enjoyment. I would never use a monopole system with such deprived acoustic ambiance reflections for music listening enjoyment purposes.

The amps will not be bridged. It is an active speaker system controlled by a Behringer DCX2496. A Behringer EP2500 to the woofers, a Crown XLS 202D to the mids and a Crown XLS 202D to the highs. Because one of the primary intentions of this system is to edit/manipulate uncompressed live acoustic recordings(a new hobby I am trying out), I want ensure that no amplifier clipping can occur. These amps are so reasonably priced these days, that it was not a hard decision to go with this much power.

-Chris
DO you prefere Crown to Behringer for amplification sir?

I am planning a huge sub build and wanted to knwo what folks thoguht Behringer is the price but I have heard better of Crown and QSC

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
DO you prefere Crown to Behringer for amplification sir?

I am planning a huge sub build and wanted to knwo what folks thoguht Behringer is the price but I have heard better of Crown and QSC
I have or have owned many Behringer products in the last 5 years. I have only had a real problem with this recent case. However, you know, once bitten, twice shy. :) My real opinion will be formed after Behringer's customer/tech service resolves my situation with the defective A500 amplifiers. If cost was no issue ( in fantasy world ), then I would never buy Behringer, or anything else less than the absolute best. But, considering cost (as I don't live in fantasy world ), I would certainly prefer Behringer to Crown for the high power amplifier, such as the EP2500 compared to equivalent from Crown or QSC at a much higher cost. If you need lower power for value price, you can find excellent solutions if you need many channels, like Emotiva, for example. The A500 I can not yet even give an opinion on function. Since both of mine are defective. :eek:

-Chris

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
I have or have owned many Behringer products in the last 5 years. I have only had a real problem with this recent case. However, you know, once bitten, twice shy. :) My real opinion will be formed after Behringer's customer/tech service resolves my situation with the defective A500 amplifiers. If cost was no issue ( in fantasy world ), then I would never buy Behringer, or anything else less than the absolute best. But, considering cost (as I don't live in fantasy world ), I would certainly prefer Behringer to Crown for the high power amplifier, such as the EP2500 compared to equivalent from Crown or QSC at a much higher cost. If you need lower power for value price, you can find excellent solutions if you need many channels, like Emotiva, for example. The A500 I can not yet even give an opinion on function. Since both of mine are defective. :eek:

-Chris

sorry about the A500's

I am looking for a little bit more than 1000k per sub, so the 2500 is up my alley. It will be down in the 1-2 ohm range though.

:X

majorloser

majorloser

No problems for me either :confused:

Still no problems.........(fingers crossed).

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Se7en

...I have seven of them all bridged in mono...
Cripes! I never knew that! Seven?!!! :eek: (bows repeatedly :D)

I take it the seven are for each channel of a 7.- system?

Do you notice a difference between having all these 'acting' mono-blocks and a decent receiver? If so, what is it?

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Cripes! I never knew that! Seven?!!! :eek: (bows repeatedly :D)

I take it the seven are for each channel of a 7.- system?

Do you notice a difference between having all these 'acting' mono-blocks and a decent receiver? If so, what is it?
Well I have 6 of them and an EP2500 running my subs. I think I can speak for him in saying there is something to be said for having a lot of power:D

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
...there is something to be said for having a lot of power.
I don't want to start a 'different amps sound different' argument, but that thought was in my mind when I read Majorloser's post. Are you saying that the sound is different because of the amps themselves?

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I don't want to start a 'different amps sound different' argument, but that thought was in my mind when I read Majorloser's post. Are you saying that the sound is different because of the amps themselves?
No I can honestly say that at moderate levels I can not hear any difference between my RXV2600 and the Behringer A500's. However, once you start pushing them the difference is obvious. The A500's just do not seem to give out and if I tried to make them give out I think that speaker damage would result. At reference levels everything is crystal clear. That is the best way I can describe it. Maybe Major can elaborate some more.

majorloser

majorloser

What I notice is I now get clean sound at even insanely high dB's without any strain to the amps. My previous amp was a B&K 7270 which was rated at 200wpc.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I have three bridged for the fronts (and one working on both surrounds)
I don't notice a difference but, I will say that I am now no longer afraid of cranking the speakers in this twice as big room (4000+cu.ft.).

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The other posters have covered the reason nicely. I did it for the same ultimate reason(unusually high SPL with no clipping). I will be doing editing of uncompressed live recordings. I can not risk amplifier clipping in this application. I believe that about 1000-1200 watts RMS per stereo channel in nearfield application will lower my probability of experiencing amplifier clipping.

-Chris

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I believe that about 1000-1200 watts RMS per stereo channel in nearfield application will lower my probability of experiencing amplifier clipping.
It will also lower your chances of ever hearing any sound ever again.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis