UN-Official Formula 1 Thread

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
F1 buddies,

On the broadcast they said that this years attendance was the best since the first Indy USGP.

The coverage is so much better in the USA/Canada also. They show much more of the racing from 1st to last place. Makes the race seam more action packed.

I enjoyed it!

SBF1

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
F1 buddies,

On the broadcast they said that this years attendance was the best since the first Indy USGP.

SBF1
Actually the will-call line was huge, and the scalpers seemed to be having a pretty active day. My guess is that a lot of people decided to attend at the last minute after watching the Canadian GP (like me). I hope the FIA takes the hint.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
We had two great races in North America, that's for sure! Lewis Hamilton is incredibly fast, but what is going on with Alonso? He seems to be making a lot of mistakes that you wouldn't have seen from his last year. Do you all think it's trouble with the car, or him, or what?

One thing is for sure, the Mclaren is just getting faster and faster as the season goes on. Only hope the race at Magny-Cours (the last?) as good as the last two.

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
Alonso is back!

At least for now, he's 2 pts from Hamilton. We are finally having a highly competed F1 season. How about that masterful passing? Montoya complained about the lack of overtaking, he should have waited a year.
I'm bummed about no USGP next year- at least not in Indy, only 3 hours away. I'll have to go to Montreal.

majorloser

majorloser

At least for now, he's 2 pts from Hamilton. We are finally having a highly competed F1 season. How about that masterful passing? Montoya complained about the lack of overtaking, he should have waited a year.
I'm bummed about no USGP next year- at least not in Indy, only 3 hours away. I'll have to go to Montreal.
WOW, you have to admit that was a tough race. For awhile I thought we were going to lose most of the field to accidents. So much for the Bridgestone rain tires.

At least now I finally got to see the McLaren fail for Hamilton just like Kimi.

And poor Kimi. Will he EVER finish a good race at Nurburgring?

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
...I'm bummed about no USGP next year- at least not in Indy...
Hey John,

what are you saying?? We won't have the USGP at Indy by next year?? Could you elaborate on that please?

majorloser

majorloser

Hey John,

what are you saying?? We won't have the USGP at Indy by next year?? Could you elaborate on that please?
Yes, they officially announced there will be no Formula 1 in the USA next year. An agreement could not be met for Indy. Even thought they have some of the largest crowds of all of the venues.

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
Hey John,

It was announced last week (it was rumored earlier) that the powers to be at F1 and Indianapolis Speedway chose not to renew their contract, which ran from 2000 to 2007. As far as I know there have been no announcements of a USGP elsewhere for 2008 :(
I'm sure you can find more info at the official and unofficial web page(s)

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
WOW, you have to admit that was a tough race. For awhile I thought we were going to lose most of the field to accidents. So much for the Bridgestone rain tires.

At least now I finally got to see the McLaren fail for Hamilton just like Kimi.

And poor Kimi. Will he EVER finish a good race at Nurburgring?
It was tough, but probably the most exciting this year. Even Jo Ramirez stated that he doesn't expect it to get any better this year than yesterday.

annunaki

annunaki

The race was very good. Alonso proved why he is a two time champion. I was wondering which one of the three would pick up the win with Hamilton on the back foot. Had Kimi's car not failed :mad: I think he would have been able to challenge Alonso much better than Massa. Massa just does not have "it" in the wet. In that regard, it will be difficult for him to ever become champion unless the car has a significant advantage. The good thing for Kimi is that the gap to Hamilton did not increase. The bad thing is that the gap to Alonso and Massa did.

Kudos to Webber for hauling the Red Bull RB3 to a podium. He deserved it with all of his retirements and bad luck.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
You guys think Alonso will be the next Schumacher?
That's kind of like asking who will be the next Michael Jordan. I think the answer is, there will never be another MS. Don't get me wrong, Alonso has the competitiveness and drive to be truly great, I just can't compare the two.

annunaki

annunaki

In a word, no.

If he wins the Championship this year, he will be in the elite group to do it with two different teams. He is a very good driver, no doubts, but he is not as good. Put Schumacher in this year's Ferrari starting back in Feb. and I would be willing to bet he has at least six wins right now and would be leading the championship. He also would not have been passed in the wet by Alonso.

He was able to develop the car unlike any other, not to mention extract every last bit of performance when necessary. I do not think Alonso has that ability. 2005 is one of his best seasons to date in my book. Look what he was able to do with that pig of a car (F2005) on inferior tires.

Last edited:
stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I remember a few years back everyone spoke of Montoya as if he was the one to inherit the mantle from Michael, but that never materialized. I believe Schumacher is the Fangio for our generation, unique, rare and almost irreplaceable. It hasn't been the same for me after his retirement.

annunaki

annunaki

I believe Schumacher is the Fangio for our generation, unique, rare and almost irreplaceable. It hasn't been the same for me after his retirement.
I agree here. F1 has not been the same for me. It is missing that extra spark of knowing that if anyone could pull anything off at any time, it was him. You don't get that feeling from the others.

France 2004 was a great example:

Ross Brawn: Ahh... Michael were going to have to bring you in for a 4th pitstop. Were going to need you to pull out a second a lap for the next 5-7 laps (I don't recall the number exactly) for you to retain the lead. Thanks mate.

Michael just gets on with it and delivers that and more becoming the first driver to win with 4 scheduled pit stops.

China 2006 was also great. He puts the 248F1 into 5th position in qualifying when the next closesest Bridgstone runner is in like 12th or 14th. Michelin easily had the better wet tire and he still puts the car in a good grid spot. Then during the race eats up the Michelin runners (in the wet) and passes both Alonso and Fisi (on track) with wet and then dry tires.

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
I didn't think he had MS's intensity, but after the way he pushed Massa aside on Sunday... one thing is for sure, he doesn't have the charisma of the great ones of the last two decades, Senna, Schumi, Prost, Mansell (anti-charisma), etc. Alonso's personality is not as intense IMO, but that doesn't make him any less of a driver.
Let's keep an eye on Hamilton and talk about it in a couple of years.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I think F1 is in flux now, I really believe it might get much better, let's hope so.

loserwife

loserwife

Audioholic
I really believe it might get much better.
I agree.

Don't get me wrong, MS will always be the best and it was great to watch him in action. But you just always knew he was going to win, he was just that good. I really love watching now because it's anybody's game.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I agree.

Don't get me wrong, MS will always be the best and it was great to watch him in action. But you just always knew he was going to win, he was just that good. I really love watching now because it's anybody's game.
Hi LW,

I couldn't agree more. Michael's the best ever and I loved watching him make history by dominating but now that it's over it's more like the old days when 3 or 4 drivers have a serious chance to win.

I find myself pulling for Massa because he is the underdog in a way.

SBF1

ps My wife thinks if Kimi would smile every woman that watches would want him to win.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis