avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Just watched this vid. The questions aren't in English but the answers are and one clearly states that Sony has stopped production of the 60gb model and is planning on leaving the 80gb model at the 599 price point. So get your 60gb while you can.

Seems like a really stupid move after seeing what the price cut has done for sales. It almost seems like they should release the 20gb model again at the 400 dollar price point.

http://atvs.vg.no/player/?id=10235

Wiki on the guy in the interview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazuo_Hirai

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Apparently the plan is to keep the 60GB model at $499 til it's gone, then introduce the 80GB model back at $599, which will include Motorstorm.

The 80GB model will have lower PS2 compatibility. The hardware in the 80GB model will be essentially the same as the current European model - in other words, the PS2 "emotion engine" that was placed in the original PS3 for 100% compatibility with PS2 games is gone. The 80GB PS3 will use a software emulator that will not be compatible with all PS2 games, the same way the XBox 360 is not compatible with all XBox games.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Sony isn't stupid enough to pull the 60gb off the shelf, they just wanted to get them out there hence the price cut. Then they can hike the price back up by adding a game and 20 extra gb of harddrive space. We will see if this will actually happen though as if the PS3 keeps selling this well Sony might be reluctant to bring back up the price.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Sony isn't stupid enough to pull the 60gb off the shelf, they just wanted to get them out there hence the price cut. Then they can hike the price back up by adding a game and 20 extra gb of harddrive space. We will see if this will actually happen though as if the PS3 keeps selling this well Sony might be reluctant to bring back up the price.
Sony would be stupid to sell both a 60GB and a partially-gimped 80GB unit at the same time, with the partially-gimped 80GB unit at a $100 premium

Sony is stupid.

But, still, the president of SCEE said that the 60GB PS3s should all be gone by the end of the month in the US (even though he's a part of Sony Europe), to be replaced by the 80GB unit.

"Reeves goes on to say that SCEA marked it down to move and that once it's gone, it's gone. When asked for the dreaded confirmation as to if this was the end of the 60GB model, Reeves replied "In America, yes." "

I think this is the only way to move forward. It would certainly be best to replace the 60GB model with the 80GB model and maintain the $499 price point, but it doesn't look like they're going to do that.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Even with the upswing in sales due to the price drop, I don't think the 60G will sell out right away. My feeling is this is true though, since they already said they don't want to produce the unit with the emotion engine any longer.

Note too that Amazon is offering 1 free BD movie (Memento) and the Blu-Ray remote bundled for $499 for the 60G.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
When I first heard the announcement I assumed, like many others I am sure, that there would be two models a 60 and 80 with both models being gimped (lack of emotion chip) at two different price points. Re-raising the price point after a drop is a bad decision.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
When I first heard the announcement I assumed, like many others I am sure, that there would be two models a 60 and 80 with both models being gimped (lack of emotion chip) at two different price points. Re-raising the price point after a drop is a bad decision.
Maybe they are lying about the price increase with the 80GB version in order to encourage people to buy out the 60GB ones, but it wouldn't surprise me either way.

I just don't see them trying to sell 60GB $499 versions alongside gimped 80GB versions at a $100 premium.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I agree about the 60/80 comparision the game can be had for $30 and you can get 100 gig of HD space for less than that extra price increase. Also with news like this Sony won't be able to increase prices on the PS3. If MS actually drops the 360 price below that of the Wii I could see Sony having to make another price cut and Nintendo being forced to do the same.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
MS already said at E3 they would not be dropping the price of the 360. The rumors were false. There is no way with the losses they are facing in the gaming division that they would take a $100 price drop. $20-$30 maybe, but not likely until the holidays since summer is traditionally the slow period.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
While I should actually get working I haven't yet but I did find this interesting article. Looks like we are going to have one of those price drop or no price drop situations until something actually happens with the $500 price point and the 60gb unit.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If it is true that production has stopped on the 60G, then it wouldn't make sense for MS to drop the price of the 360. In light of the fact that they have clear quality issues, I am not sure people will rush out to buy one unless the price drop was significant. I know I wouldn't.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
That is a definite truth MS will probably wait and see what Sony does. This whole yes its happening/no its not with Sony has been rather interesting. It almost seems as if they have been creating these rumors for the free press but then again who knows.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
MS won't drop the price until they start to fear the PS3 sales numbers. Before the price drop, the 360 was outselling the PS3 month over month about 2:1 for the past few months. If Sony starts to pick up significant share, MS will drop the price. If they don't, there's no reason to move on price (especially with Halo 3 coming). It'll be interesting to see what gamers pick: PS3 for $499 with free online or 360 for $399 with $60/year online.

This month, they're going to pick up significant share.

What's more interesting (to me at least) is if this will spur more development for PS3. I know a lot of dev houses were cancelling their PS3 projects and moving them to Wii, but this may help stop that trend.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is because the Wii is popular NOW, but there was an article that said something about it being a double edged sword to attract the "casual" gamer long term because they will use it for a while and then it will sit unused once the novelty has worn off.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
That is because the Wii is popular NOW, but there was an article that said something about it being a double edged sword to attract the "casual" gamer long term because they will use it for a while and then it will sit unused once the novelty has worn off.
Time will tell. Those same analysts didn't give anyone but PS3 a snowballs chance this generation.

While it may or may not last, what's pretty clear is gamers are embracing a different kind of game -- Guitar Hero was a huge hit, the Wii so far has been a huge hit. Controllers that don't look daunting to the average person. Same reason why 99% of people will pick up an NES controller, but only hardcore gamers pick up the 360/PS3 pad.

Something i wasn't expecting last night -- i was playing The Bigs -- Homerun Pinball and my wife asked if she could play when she saw it only took one/two buttons. She played for about an hour! Great game, btw.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
As long as there is a supply of fun games, the Wii will continue to be successful. The PS3 struck me as too expensive for the casual gamer, but as a "one box" solution considering how many things it does, it really isn't that expensive. The problem is, convincing people who aren't gamers of that...

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
As long as there is a supply of fun games, the Wii will continue to be successful. The PS3 struck me as too expensive for the casual gamer, but as a "one box" solution considering how many things it does, it really isn't that expensive. The problem is, convincing people who aren't gamers of that...
Here's the problem i see, and i'm not sure how they're going to get out of it:

The average blu-ray player is the same as or more than the PS3. Which makes the PS3 a bargain if you want a blu-ray player anyway. The price is going to free fall over the next year on players, making the PS3 less attractive as a blu-ray player + game machine. Right now, the game machine is pretty much free. This may or may not matter, but about half of the people i know that have one said they bought the PS3 because they wanted a high-def DVD player. This reason's going to evaporate over the next year.

The good news i guess is that the games are finally coming -- I'll be getting one just for MGS4 and God of War 3. Some of the other games look promising...i'm trying not to get too excited though -- the first Killzone looked awesome too, until you actually tried to play it at 15fps. I just hope all these people buying PS3's this month actually snap up a few games each and put something in the top 20.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Same reason why 99% of people will pick up an NES controller, but only hardcore gamers pick up the 360/PS3 pad.
C'mon, the ps3's pad looks like the same as the one from the ps2 and ps1 and they sold plenty of those!

C

chris6878

Audioholic
Ps3 games are 60 damn dollars! Plus tax. The games that are out are easy to beat and not worth the money.(except ninja gaiden) The wii games are cheaper, the system is cheaper, the online is free, and the games are fun. THey are appealing to the fat kids on the counch. Getting them up and moving.(parents want that) When they come out with the workout games they are gonna smash sony and microsoft, like they are doing now.

If sony decides to pull the 60gig for a degenerate 80 gig, they will lose or have to drop the price. THe blue ray player is good but who wants to pay 30 bucks for a dvd! I would but not the average standard definition tv watchin Wii player!

I see either sony not stopping production of the 60gig(give people an option like microsoft) or getting smashed by the might of the wii. Nintendo is already killin the psp now they starting to jab and the ps3.

Oh yea the wii is a chick magnet. Girls love the "free!!!" sports game that came with it. Get a chick to the crib/ play the wii/ get sweaty/ and start strokin on the counch! Atleasts thats how it played out for me! twice!

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
The new 80GB PS3 is in fact gimped compared to the 60GB and the 20GB PS3 only because the system will not have the chip. But remember, this chip was not included in the European PS3 on its release, and guess what, Europeans are still playing PS1 and PS2 games. Now grant it they could not play every single PS1 or PS2 game but it is far better than playing none at all. The 80GB PS3 without the chip is the same as the 360. Both systems are backwards compatible but the games are, per say, emulated.

I think Sony will sell all there 60GB models at $499 until there gone. The 80GB model is nice but it should have been at least 120GB to compete with the 360's Elite model at $479.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis