Top 10 Guitar Players all genres

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I've seen him live 5 times so far and he never dissapoints. In fact, with his new drummer Antonio Sanchez, I feel his music is the stronger than ever.

Some day if I ever have the honor of interviewing Pat, I will ask him what he really thinks about Kenny G, b/c I don't thinks his response in this editorial was straight forward enough :D

http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm
What a great article, I believe it should become a sticky. How many times do we see the same points brought forth by Pat? What he says in the interview can also be expanded to other genres of music as well. A musician's intergrity towards his intrument has to be paramount. We all know Kenny G. is a hack, yet he's on the "smooth" stations with the precision of an atomic clock. The man has done more to un-educate people about jazz than any other pretender (well, maybe Michael Bolton, that's another issue) of recent fame. This is exactly what I had commented before, jazz like classical music takes prodigious amount of time to master, which requires proficiency, which requires discipline, which requires the best a musician has in order to be played correctly. You can't cut corners like Kenny and hope to be an Armstrong or a Wayne Shorter. Those that don't understand this tend to label jazz and classical music as a field for snobs who think they're above the average listener, which is not rue at all, jazz and classical music is open for all to enjoy. Putting aside some preconceived biases towards more complex music will only broaden your enjoyment of music. Beware, once you "get it" you might be labeled a "snob", radio pop will be a hard pill to swallow.;) :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The man has done more to un-educate people about jazz than any other pretender (well, maybe Michael Bolton, that's another issue) of recent fame
Agreed. IMO its so called musicians like Kenny G that are responsible for the death of fusion jazz and transformation into the jazziac we are exposed to today on "Smooth Jazz" radio stations. Thankfully there are a handful of Jazz musicians left that don't succumb to this and still have musical integrity.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed. IMO its so called musicians like Kenny G that are responsible for the death of fusion jazz and transformation into the jazziac we are exposed to today on "Smooth Jazz" radio stations. Thankfully there are a handful of Jazz musicians left that don't succumb to this and still have musical integrity.
Right on the money. Return to forever, Weather Report where has the influence and innovation brought forth by bands such as these gone? In many aspects music hasn't moved forward, marketed tripe has, it rules the airwaves and smooth jazz is the abomination which can fairly be compared to Britney Spears on acid.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Hey HH,

There's just one word for that video: articulate!

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Some of us happen to like smooth jazz. I certainly listen to much more challenging jazz when I am in the mood to do so, but I get a lot of enjoyment from Lee Ritenour, Mindi Abair, Jeff Lorber, et. al.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Some of us happen to like smooth jazz. I certainly listen to much more challenging jazz when I am in the mood to do so, but I get a lot of enjoyment from Lee Ritenour, Mindi Abair, Jeff Lorber, et. al.

Lee Ritenour is a phenominal guitarist, one of the great ones in Jazz. Unfortunately his music (like so many other jazz musicians) for the past decade or so IMO has been less than inspiring b/c he has to confirm to the Smooth Jazz radio station protocol to get air time.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Lee Ritenour is a phenominal guitarist, one of the great ones in Jazz. Unfortunately his music (like so many other jazz musicians) for the past decade or so IMO has been less than inspiring b/c he has to confirm to the Smooth Jazz radio station protocol to get air time.
In some parts that'll be called "selling out".;) :D

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Hey, S-Man and all you guitar-star wannabes like me :)o )....here's a little lesson from one of the best. LOL. Nothing on my body moves this fast....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLa6iW7dRf4&mode=related&search=

Here is another youtube put together by an old friend. It, and the song written and played by Fender Living Guitar Legend, Hughie Thomasson, honor the recent revival of my favorite band of the '70's/80's, the Outlaws. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiRXv2ZlvuA&mode=related&search=

K

KC HiFi

Audiophyte
I myself cannot believe that Michael Hedges was not mentioned more.

I loved that Symphony Harp Guitar he played. I keep hoping to run accross one someday. Absolutly beautiful sounds that man made. Live performances were incredible. He is most certianly missed.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I myself cannot believe that Michael Hedges was not mentioned more.

I loved that Symphony Harp Guitar he played. I keep hoping to run accross one someday. Absolutly beautiful sounds that man made. Live performances were incredible. He is most certianly missed.
I was always a big Michael Hedges fan. I only wish he had recorded more ensemble stuff. Solo guitar is something I only like in small doses, even from someone that good.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Elliot Randall, did solo for Steely Dan's Reelin' in The Years....Page's favorite all time solo.:cool:

T

tomahawktim

Audioholic Intern
Genius!!!!

Canadian born Jeff Healy, blind from eye cancer since the age of one. At 3 years of age picks up the guitar, invents his own tecnique. B.B. King, Albert Collins, SRV all call him prodigy, genius. Amazing. My friend reminded me of him the other day, I almost felt ashamed I hadn't mentioned Jeff.
Jeff hosts a regular Monday night radio show on Jazz FM 91.1 in Toronto.
"My Kinda' Jazz" Monday 8-10 pm is also live on the web, jazz.fm
Although he came to the public's attention with his rocking guitar, Jeff is a jazz lover at heart. He's got some chops on the trumpet too!

C

crazyd1415

Enthusiast
No particular order and a lot more I could add and my top 10 would change depending on the mood I'm in.

Steve Vai(great all around, skills and emotion)
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen(I can't listen to an entire Malmsteen cd from start to finish but he does have incredible skill.)
Santana
Tak Matsumoto
Jimmy Hendrix
Kirk Hammett(crazy solos, I'm talking about the old school Metallica, I quit listening after the Black Album)
Slash(November Rain and Sweet Child of Mine to me are 2 of the greatest guitar solos ever)
Eric Clapton
Van Halen

Last edited:
L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
one guy who probably doesn't make the Top Ten, but certainly deserves mention with most of the players mentioned in this thread is Roy Clark. He's more know for the banjo work, but that same talent built some blazing speed on the guitar.

I also didn't see Jeff Baxter (Doobies), but I went through the thread pretty quick. :)

Masher

Masher

Junior Audioholic
1. Jimi Hendrix
2. David Gilmour
3. Jimmy Page
4. SRV
5. Eric Clapton
6. Mark Knopfler
7. Brian May
8. Robin Trower
9. Malmsteen
10. Jeff Beck

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Funny how most of the picks in this thread center around rock guitarists. Don't you guys have a wider diversity of music preferences? don't get me wrong as some of my favorite music is Rock, but everyone knows the most talented musicians are in Jazz not rock or pop.

Masher

Masher

Junior Audioholic
Funny how most of the picks in this thread center around rock guitarists. Don't you guys have a wider diversity of music preferences? don't get me wrong as some of my favorite music is Rock, but everyone knows the most talented musicians are in Jazz not rock or pop.
I have an EXTREMELY DIVERSE musical catalog. But, as for MY Top 10, there isn't a Jazz guitarist that makes the Top 10. Classical guitarists would be ahead of Jazz. But again, that is my opinion.

robmlisanti

robmlisanti

Audioholic
My Personal top 10

1) BB King
2) Eric Clapton
3) Joe satriani
4) Robin Trower
5) Eddie Van Halen
6) Pat Metheny/Larry Carlton
7) SRV...Forever
8) Glenn Tipton _ Judas Priest