Top 10 Guitar Players all genres

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I was just having a couple of Guinness along with some fellow git players and they threw in their picks :

Bo Diddley- bridged the blues and rock, more driving rythm, and harder guitar sound.

Blind Willie Johnson- considered the best slide guitarist that ever lived.

Melvin Ragin better known as (Wah-Wah Watson)- recorded with everyone, known for his wah style.

Denny Dias- jazz, original founder of Steely Dan not well known.

H

HAL9000

Banned
In no particular order.

David Gilmour
Nuno Bettencourt
Al Dimeola
Frank Zappa
Steve Vai
Stevie Ray Vaugn
Joe Satriani
Eric Johnson
Eddie Van Halen
Eric Clapton

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Yamandu from Brazil and J.J. Calle, Yamandu is a genius period, one of the few persons who would entice even the non guitar enthisiast with his incredible rendition where the guitar talks directly to your mind.

N

newdreams

Audiophyte
What, no Alan Holdsworth? Where would Eddie Van Halen be without him?

Nice to see Danny Gatton, Robert Fripp, Grant Green and and Lenny Breau finally got mentioned. Bob Brozman's amazing on slide/dobro. Richard Thompson is one hell of a player (and singer/songwriter) too. John McLaughlin was my hero for years.

And along with Michael Hedges on acoustic, there's also Don Ross, Tony Rice, Pierre Bensusan and many others. Plus there's all those guys who played superbly on one or two albums then sank from sight.

Got to agree with the comment that some players can say so much with one note (David Gilmour comes to mind). I get tired of some of the shredders pretty quickly if it's all technique and not much musicality.

C

cbags05

Audioholic Intern
Haven't read throught the whole thread, but Wes Montgomery deserves mention. But my favorite to listen to is SRV. He played with such heart.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
My Top 10 would be (not necessarily in order):

Robin Trower
Kim Simmons (of Savoy Brown)
Tommy Bolin (not to be confused with Marc Bolan of T-Rex)
Jeff Beck
Steve Morse
Al DiMeola
Larry Coryell
Frank Zappa
Chet Atkins
Tony Iommi (just because)

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Tony Iommi (just because)
Good call :D ,on top of having pretty much invented heavy metal licks Tony plays with artificial finger tips .

Tony is the only guitar player i know of with prosthetic finger tips.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Good call :D ,on top of having pretty much invented heavy metal licks Tony plays with artificial finger tips .

Tony is the only guitar player i know of with prosthetic finger tips.
Wrong! Don't forget judge Judy.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I just re-read all posts: Pat Martino, not mentioned once.

B

blowinch

Enthusiast
when i thought about my top ten i got stuck. some musicians write neat simple licks (george harrision, dude from sonic youth or pixies) and some have a good sound array ( thingy- o from radiohead etc), but perhaps couldnt be in the top ten. then tere are shredders and plain old guitar players- robert johnson! hendrix of course, ry cooder in the magic band. the guitar is pretty versiatile, you couldnt make a list of top ten pianists.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
when i thought about my top ten i got stuck. some musicians write neat simple licks (george harrision, dude from sonic youth or pixies) and some have a good sound array ( thingy- o from radiohead etc), but perhaps couldnt be in the top ten. then tere are shredders and plain old guitar players- robert johnson! hendrix of course, ry cooder in the magic band. the guitar is pretty versiatile, you couldnt make a list of top ten pianists.
How about: George Gershwin, Duke Ellington, Charlie Mingus, Joe Sample, Count Basie, Ramsey Lewis, Chick Corea, Dave Brubeck, Bill Evans, Joe Zawinul and that's not scratching the surface. As much as I love my guitars, I understand their limitations. For writing music there's no better instrument than the piano. But that would be another thread.;) :D

Mystic_Realmz

Mystic_Realmz

Audiophyte
hmmmmm...

Well, my list contrasts sharply...but that's the beauty of living in the US:eek:

1. David Gilmore
2. Alex Lifeson
3. Robert Fripp
4. Trevor Rabin
5. Steve Vai
6. Steve Lukather
7. Eddie Van Halen (minus his "tude")
8. Steve Rothery
9. Steve Morse
10. Stevie Ray Vaughan

Must be something about the name Steve...perhaps I should change my name...:cool:

Pheaton

Pheaton

Audioholic
Hi all,
Great Thread! A couple that I think were not mentioned (long thread, so I might be wrong) that I have enjoyed are Greg Lake of ELP, Martin Barre of Jethro Tull, and Brian Setzer.

By the way, I was able to see Buddy Guy at a small club in Detroit, and since my buddies and I ate dinner in the attached restaurant before the show, the owner let us in before the rest of the crowd. We were leaning on the stage (there were no seats in the hall) I could have reached out and touched his guitar, he was that close! Probably the best concert that I have ever been too.:D

Pheaton

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
10. Pat Metheny
9. Pat Metheny
8. Pat Metheny
7. Pat Metheny
6. Pat Metheny
5. Pat Metheny
4. Pat Metheny
3. Pat Metheny
2. Pat Metheny
1. Pat Metheny

There simply isn't another more diversified and skilled guitarist on the planet IMO. When his days pass, he will be revered as one of the most influential and skilled guitarists of the modern music era.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
10. Pat Metheny
9. Pat Metheny
8. Pat Metheny
7. Pat Metheny
6. Pat Metheny
5. Pat Metheny
4. Pat Metheny
3. Pat Metheny
2. Pat Metheny
1. Pat Metheny

There simply isn't another more diversified and skilled guitarist on the planet IMO. When his days pass, he will be revered as one of the most influential and skilled guitarists of the modern music era.
Come on Gene, don't keep us guessing, who's your favorite git player??;) :D

BTW, I saw him once in a small jazz club in Palm Beach (can't remember name, roughly 8 or 9 years ago), the man is a legend who should be seen and heard before time passes, I had the same regard for Miles, I hate myself for never seeing him live.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Come on Gene, don't keep us guessing, who's your favorite git player??

BTW, I saw him once in a small jazz club in Palm Beach (can't remember name, roughly 8 or 9 years ago), the man is a legend who should be seen and heard before time passes, I had the same regard for Miles, I hate myself for never seeing him live.
I've seen him live 5 times so far and he never dissapoints. In fact, with his new drummer Antonio Sanchez, I feel his music is the stronger than ever.

Some day if I ever have the honor of interviewing Pat, I will ask him what he really thinks about Kenny G, b/c I don't thinks his response in this editorial was straight forward enough :D

http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis