Behringer A500 Amplifier: Objective Test Results

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
It seems we are trying to tune our audio systems with amps again. Kind of silly IMO, but it's your money to splash around. Amp design is a mature technology, so if they truly sound different, it means there is distortion introduced into the amp to provide a unique or colored sound. Maybe it's just "toy factor" on there upper end amps. Toy factor I can understand, I like toys myself.

Nick

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
It seems we are trying to tune our audio systems with amps again. Kind of silly IMO, but it's your money to splash around. Amp design is a mature technology, so if they truly sound different, it means there is distortion introduced into the amp to provide a unique or colored sound. Maybe it's just "toy factor" on there upper end amps. Toy factor I can understand, I like toys myself.

Nick
Yeh
I know , my equipment is 20 years or older and the Bryston sounds just like a new one , my Carver stuff sounds close to Sunfire stuff , but there are some upgrades i would like in Sunfire , like there newer Surround processor with the digital Sonic Hologram ( rather than my old CT-17 ) .

E

emperor

Enthusiast
:) Ive loved my behringer A500's as power amps with my rotel, but the other week, my freind bought round some Klipsch speakers and a modified T Amp. Not so much the Klipsch the T Amp.

So now for someone lucky in the UK, i am selling two 6 month old A500's for £160 including insured shipping. Any takers email me at climbingfish@aol.com

E

emperor

Enthusiast
Just to update i am left with one now for £60, Im sorry to put it on here so blatantly, but i havent seen a "gear for sale" forum.

majorloser

majorloser

Just to update i am left with one now for £60, Im sorry to put it on here so blatantly, but i havent seen a "gear for sale" forum.
That's because the classified section is only available for members with over 25 posts. I'll let you slide on this one. Normally we would delete these posts. But since you have slid under the radar I'll let this one stand.

Here's the link to the classified section:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

majorloser

majorloser

Is it time for one of those latest and greatest, digital radars, frequency hopping, everything :D
Nah, we just need to man our stations more often.

Hmmm, Anti-Stealth Spammer Technology.........:rolleyes:

E

emperor

Enthusiast
:eek: Sorry about that, had i known i wouldnt have posted, I see what you mean and thats good, only people familair with the forum get to be trustworthy to sell their stuff, well my Ebay names "ratchet1108", if you want to check out my impeccable feedback, but one (some guy thought it was ok to send me a denon tape deck, jiggling in a box literally. with no packing whatsoever).

S

serenitynow

Audiophyte
Behringer A500 clipping

Hi all. Just purchased a new A500 to drive my Wharfedale 9.2 front speakers. Using the pre-out from my Denon Receiver. All hooked up and working OK in stereo mode. I notice the amp clips, (just the first notch) if I play loud stereo music or action movies. So I have backed off the volume from 3/4 to just over half way and now don't get the clipping. However I am not getting the desired volume (just) if I want to 'crank it'. I didn't notice any sound/speaker distortion at this first level of clipping but am assuming this is a no go zone.
1. What volume levels are people using? Is any clipping acceptable?
2. My first thought was to buy another and run bridged - however the Wharfedales are 6 ohm speakers. The recommened load bridged is 8ohm. Doh! Also due to the logistics/space I only really wanted to run the 1 amp in stereo.
3. I have come across another more 'powerful' stereo amp, however there are no real specs like those found at Audio Critic for the A500. Has anyone heard of the Biema W 330ii Series Power Amplifier. http://www.biema.com/html/product/amplifiers/w.htm
It costs the same as the Behringer but is more powerful - although it has a variable speed fan. Was wondering how it stacks up? Any advice welcome.
Thanks.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Hi all. Just purchased a new A500 to drive my Wharfedale 9.2 front speakers. Using the pre-out from my Denon Receiver. All hooked up and working OK in stereo mode. I notice the amp clips, (just the first notch) if I play loud stereo music or action movies. So I have backed off the volume from 3/4 to just over half way and now don't get the clipping. However I am not getting the desired volume (just) if I want to 'crank it'. I didn't notice any sound/speaker distortion at this first level of clipping but am assuming this is a no go zone.
1. What volume levels are people using? Is any clipping acceptable?
2. My first thought was to buy another and run bridged - however the Wharfedales are 6 ohm speakers. The recommened load bridged is 8ohm. Doh! Also due to the logistics/space I only really wanted to run the 1 amp in stereo.
those aren't the clipping lights ... those are just some form of db meters. until you reach the orange lights near the peak of the meters, your behringer amp and speakers are safe ... (they might even be safe til they reach the "0" led light near the very end just before the "clip" led)

when actually clipping, you should see the red colored led light up.

oh, and btw, that's the behringer running bridged mode on a very sensitive BUT 4 ohm speaker.

Last edited:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Nothing to worry about. I have my meters disconnected and the on rare occasions the clip lights might blink when at very loud levels. I have my gains all the way up too.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Heck, that takes all the fun out of it.

Had Pink Floyd "Pulse" DVD on the other night just to see haw many lights I could get to blink :p
Yeah it does look cool, but is a HUGE distraction when watching movies.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
it also lights up my room (I sleep with the lights off) when I use my bedroom setup as my FM radio lullaby

J

jazzisnumberone

Audioholic Intern
Can the Behringer A500 amp be used (in mono) with the Polk cs400 center channel and the RTA 12c's? Please advise..Jazz

majorloser

majorloser

Can the Behringer A500 amp be used (in mono) with the Polk cs400 center channel and the RTA 12c's? Please advise..Jazz
Yes, I have seven of them all bridged in mono.

Jeff has six of them and I believe his stack is also bridged for mono operation.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Yes, I have seven of them all bridged in mono.

Jeff has six of them and I believe his stack is also bridged for mono operation.
Yeppers and an EP 2500 running my subs. All the A-500's are bridged but the one for the surround back channel. No need for 500 watts going to surround backs. Actually, no need to bridge any of the surround channels at all. 3 bridged up front is quite enough.

S

serenitynow

Audiophyte
Green is Good!

Thanks for the quick responses and pic Mike. Who would have thought, the green lights were OK. :D Based on your other comments it would be OK to run bridged into the 6ohm speakers without too much concern as well.
I have read some negative comments about the A500. As far as I'm concerned its a bargain! It offers clean quiet sound at a great price. I also think the build quality and looks are great as well. On top of that there is a good user base for some great ideas. Don't underestimate that fact.
I would recommend it to anyone with an AV receiver with pre-outs that wants to improve the calrity/sound of their setup.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Possible Product Consistency Problem

I purchased two A500 amplifiers to use on some computer speakers. They both exhibit audible distortion, especially on piano music. I came across this same complaint, as a result of a Google search, and I note that a poster in this thread also has a complaint about a defect in the output. I also have a friend that heard the same artifact on another A500, though I chalked this up as a defect that I have very low probability of encountering. Unfortunately, it would appear that the defect lottery has selected me as a winner. This is a strange defect that I have not read about occurring on other amplifiers. I am posting about my experience, despite that these may be isolated cases, because I started this thread. I also have a Behringer EP2500, and it operates perfectly. But I do think it odd that I purchased 2 A500s and both units have the same defect.

I am currently attempting to resolve the issue with Behringer's technical/customer service department. I will post the conclusion of this experience when complete.

-Chris

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I purchased two A500 amplifiers to use on some computer speakers. They both exhibit audible distortion, especially on piano music. I came across this same complaint, as a result of a Google search, and I note that a poster in this thread also has a complaint about a defect in the output. I also have a friend that heard the same artifact on another A500, though I chalked this up as a defect that I have very low probability of encountering This is a strange defect that I have not read about occurring on other amplifiers. I am posting about my experience, despite that these may be isolated cases, because I started this thread. I also have a Behringer EP2500, and it operates perfectly. But I do think it odd that I purchased 2 A500s and both units have the same defect.

I am currently attempting to resolve the issue with Behringer's technical/customer service department. I will post the conclusion of this experience when complete.

-Chris
Hmm strange indeed. I have not noticed anything with any of my 6. I had one that had a bad rheostat after 6 months and they swapped it for a new amp right away. I have no complaints with their customer service at all. I hope they treat you right.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis