My humble X-LS impressions

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Now that I was able to spend a few days with them, I thought I would write a little something up on them. They are not perfect, but they are quite impressive, and once you factor in price they are a solid contender IMHO. Since I am looking for some relatively inexpensive speakers for music only in my bedroom system, these guys were a logical choice for consideration to me having previously owned the GR Research A/V-1s which these share a little lineage with, being co-designed by Danny of GR.

The first thing that you notice is the cabinets. These were the maple and they are gorgeous looking, heavy and feel very well built. They edging and small details, like the flushing of the tweeter and port, exhibit a quality that looks like they should be far in excess of their fairly small price tag. Next was size. I wasn’t expecting them to be that large; I was surprised actually at their size. They are deeper than they are wide, so from the front they don’t appear large. They looked right at home on my 26” stands, and the tweeters were at just about the right height for my seating.

How do they sound? BIG…their sound is seemingly larger than their size would suggest. They do have a somewhat lower sensitivity at 87dB, so I had to notch them up by a few dB to achieve similar levels as my GR A/V-2s (91.5dB, 4 Ohm). I think the lower sensitivity works to their advantage actually, because you can throw a ton of power at them and they just say "Thank you sir, may I have another?" These guys were able to easily fill my 24x13 vaulted ceiling room at average listening levels, and they were also able to be pushed to quite elevated levels without breakup in the midrange or tweeters. I powered them in my room with my PM7200 (95w @ 8 Ohms) and in the main room with my MA500 monoblocks (125w @ 8 Ohms) and for most of the testing I ran them with and without an 80Hz x-over with the monos, full range in my bedroom, 2ch in both. They never showed signs of stress with anything I threw at them and they aren’t mine, so I didn’t want to push them to the point where they would. I would think they can handle fairly large rooms given enough power. They have a wide soundstage that has good depth and detail. I dropped them into my existing speaker spots, which seemed to work well with them in my main room, but not so well in my bedroom due to placement option limitations. They don’t like being close to the walls, as the bass seems to get a little muddy (about 2”). When I pulled them out about a foot further, they were much happier. In my main room, they have a few feet behind them so it is a non issue. In my main room, I sit about 9ft away with them about 9ft apart and they had a solid center image when sitting in the sweet spot. I noticed they share a similar character to the GR speakers, while they have good response over a wide angle, the true sweet spot is a bit narrow and requires good placement to bring out their best imaging. They sounded better with the grilles off IMO. Highs are a tad flat; clean but not silky smooth.

I first popped in my standard, Patricia Barber’s Café Blue SACD (MoFi) because it is extremely well recorded and has a lot to offer when auditioning with a variety of instruments and range of sound as well as vocals. The X-LSs were able to capture the depth of the recordings. They have good bass on their own, but for a medium to large room, they will do well to have a sub supporting. The midrange is very clean, though they have a tiny bit of what sounds like muffling to me. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it, but I felt like the upper midrange was a bit soft, meaning the bass and highs are a bit more pronounced, with them having an overall soft sound to them. Vocals sounded great on the tracks Too Rich for My Blood and A Taste of Honey, with a very natural sound and no break up, but they were just a tiny bit muffled. Manha de Carnaval is recorded in a smaller room with mostly “body” sounds (no, not those kinds of sounds….think Bobby McFerrin, chest thumping, clapping, etc…) minimal vocals and the X-LSs were able to recreate the sound of the space well. I also used Patricia Barber’s Companion, which is a live album recorded at a small venue. The X-LSs picked up the small details like individuals clapping, glasses clinking on tables, and some talking in the crowd. No problem picking up the fine details here.

Next I thought I’d throw something edgy at them. That turned out to be Flyleaf, a small independent alternative/punk band that I saw last year and I liked them so I picked up their CD. They have some crunchy guitar work and good percussion and decent recording, but the shining point is their singer, a petite girl who has an interesting voice that is somewhat higher in pitch with some good power behind it. At first, she sounds like the petite girl she appears to be (sort of Michelle Branch?), but she quickly moves to some deep, guttural growls that really took me off guard in a good way. The vocals come across well, as she moves from soft passages, to full out screaming emotional bursts on tracks like Cassie and Fully Alive. This isn’t about space or detail, it is mostly about energy and that comes across well with the X-LSs.

To mix it up even further, I threw in Gorillaz Demon Daze. I’d call it synth-pop-funk-dance, with a wide range of sounds. It has solid bass lines and interesting vocals, instruments and synthesized sounds with good 2ch separation. There are some faster tracks like All Alone and slower ones like November Has Come, with a variety of male vocals and some melodies. It is an interesting album that I wasn’t sure I liked, but it quickly grew on me and I happened to be listening to it a lot recently, so I figured I’d see how it did. Bass is plentiful on the album, though not extremely deep, and the X-LSs had no problem keeping up. Separation and width were very good, and vocals were clear.

Others used – Godsmack Other Side SACD, Blue Man Group The Complex DVD-A, Shawn Colvin A Few Small Repairs and a Japanese import CD with which I am not familiar, it was lent to me by a friend and it is very good. There were a few more I would have liked to try but most of my CDs are still packed up at the moment.

So, the verdict – I’ve listened to many speakers in the price range and I have to say these have no business being sold for $200…they are one heck of a bargain at that price. I was hoping they would be just a bit livelier, but I have no real complaints about them. There are a few things they don’t do as well as more expensive speakers, but there are more than enough other things they do very well that push them to the top of the crowd. With the free shipping both ways deal going on, these should absolutely be on your audition list if you are shopping for something in this price range. Due to room placement, these guys may not be what I ultimately go with, but they offered a very compelling argument for themselves. I may have to consider some X-CSs now instead in that new Rosa finish…we'll see. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Nice review JG,

these puppies does worth a listen though.

Cheers.

mkossler

mkossler

Audioholic
JG,

Thanks for a great review. These speakers are obviously going to be in many folks' sweet spots.

Did you happen to do any listening with a subwoofer, maybe just for ha-ha's? Seeing as you have one of the MISS's (Mainly Internet Sold Super Subwoofers :) ), it would be interesting to hear your subjective impressions.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
J Garcia,

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. Good Read.

I'll be auditioning the X-sub, and RS250MkII's in a few weeks. Can't wait. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
JG,

Thanks for a great review. These speakers are obviously going to be in many folks' sweet spots.

Did you happen to do any listening with a subwoofer, maybe just for ha-ha's? Seeing as you have one of the MISS's (Mainly Internet Sold Super Subwoofers :) ), it would be interesting to hear your subjective impressions.
About half my listening was with the sub in the main room, with them crossed at 80Hz. They blended just fine due to their good extension. They have pretty much the same exact extension as my A/V-2s.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Very nice read.

Curiously though, you said that due to room placement you may not go with this these. Did you know that before you got them? If so, what swayed you to give them a try?

M

mlschifter

Audioholic Intern
Many many thanks for giving our x-ls a listen... I would say you hit the nail right on the head - and hey - we even seem to share similar tastes in music... :)

The x-ls was designed to be a bit more forgiving - so hence the slightly soft treble... The "energy level" is just as we designed - and a departure from the normal $199 to $299 speakers we have listended to which tend to be bass shy - and way to (much) balanced towards the treble...

We are very proud of the x-ls - and it delivers our design goals in spades... That said, it IS a tad soft - but it does deliver the goods by offering a nice slice of the high(er) end at a rightly priced number... :cool:

As most of you know --- "mls does not do bright"... I just find that most of everything out there in this category is thin, bright or severely mis-balanced. I humbly believe that the x-ls opens kicks the door open (significantly) and lowers the price of admission to a richly balanced - nicely presented loudspeaker that any of us can fall in love with...

Thanks for taking the time to listen and offer your findings JG... I'm with you all the way... As an aside... I will be in So California this weekend hosting an av123 lunch (I've heard we are art 25 folks - and more have requested in so I may open it up to 30) - mini GTG - and then a full blown listening "experience" (the next day) with x-ls, x-ls with mods (different story here on the high end I might add)... x-ls ex(perimental) <this is a new speaker we have been working on that uses the same tweeter we plan on our x-ls swg model - but without the Super Wave Guide> a first public look at our x-sls model (a few guys have heard or early beta units - but that's it)... and some competitive product to boot... I think people are going to be very interested in this demo... I LOVE GETTING OUT THERE AND LISTENING WITH ALL OF YOU... :D

BTW-2 --- I have found that x-ls seems to present the best and "meatiest" CENTER when around 6 to 7 feet apart on tweeter centres... More than that does seem to "narrow" that Centre Fill as you have mentioned (good ear)...

Again, my thanks...

All the best...

mls

R

rexracer

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the reveiw! I have one question. I'm thinking of using 4 of these in a 5.1 system, and I have some concerns about the rears. They will be placed on top of a double bookcase that's 6 1/2 ft high. due to the depth of the bookcase and speakers, they will probably be no more than a couple of inches off the wall. I will be crossing them at probably 80 hz. You said they got a little muddy too close to the wall. Do you think this will be an issue?

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
Hey JG, how would you say these compare to your AV-2s or AV-ls from GR?

Matt34

Matt34

That was a very well written review Gracia! I have a pair waiting for me when I get home, can't wait to hear them now after reading that.:D

M

mlschifter

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the reveiw! I have one question. I'm thinking of using 4 of these in a 5.1 system, and I have some concerns about the rears. They will be placed on top of a double bookcase that's 6 1/2 ft high. due to the depth of the bookcase and speakers, they will probably be no more than a couple of inches off the wall. I will be crossing them at probably 80 hz. You said they got a little muddy too close to the wall. Do you think this will be an issue?
I know you are not asking *me* specifically - but I can chime in to say that 3 to 4 inches is MINIMUM...

Many thanks...

mls

R

rexracer

Junior Audioholic
Thanks. I will have to take a look, get out the tape, and see what I can get behind them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Curiously though, you said that due to room placement you may not go with this these. Did you know that before you got them? If so, what swayed you to give them a try?
I did know they were rear ported, however not all speakers react to being so near to the wall. My former Mordaunt Short 902s can be placed within a few inches of the wall without having any significant bass bloat. That would not be the norm, so it wasn't surprising to me that the X-LSs didn't like having the port close to the wall.

Many many thanks for giving our x-ls a listen... I would say you hit the nail right on the head - and hey - we even seem to share similar tastes in music... :)
Thanks! I like to listen to a wide variety of stuff. Good speakers always make it more fun, and enjoying the music (or movies) is what it is all about :)

The x-ls was designed to be a bit more forgiving - so hence the slightly soft treble... The "energy level" is just as we designed - and a departure from the normal $199 to $299 speakers we have listended to which tend to be bass shy - and way to (much) balanced towards the treble...

We are very proud of the x-ls - and it delivers our design goals in spades... That said, it IS a tad soft - but it does deliver the goods by offering a nice slice of the high(er) end at a rightly priced number... :cool:

As most of you know --- "mls does not do bright"... I just find that most of everything out there in this category is thin, bright or severely mis-balanced. I humbly believe that the x-ls opens kicks the door open (significantly) and lowers the price of admission to a richly balanced - nicely presented loudspeaker that any of us can fall in love with...
I think the main thing for me is, they are easy to listen to and seem like they will be pleasing with most any type of material. I own the GRs after all, so I do tend toward a warmer, softer speaker also. I was actually surprised at just how much power these guys will take too. While solid for music, I think their strong stage and clean vocals will make them excellent with movies as well. Many thanks to the people at AV123 for producing such a solid product at this price.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and offer your findings JG... I'm with you all the way... As an aside... I will be in So California this weekend hosting an av123 lunch (I've heard we are art 25 folks - and more have requested in so I may open it up to 30) - mini GTG - and then a full blown listening "experience" (the next day) with x-ls, x-ls with mods (different story here on the high end I might add)... x-ls ex(perimental) <this is a new speaker we have been working on that uses the same tweeter we plan on our x-ls swg model - but without the Super Wave Guide> a first public look at our x-sls model (a few guys have heard or early beta units - but that's it)... and some competitive product to boot... I think people are going to be very interested in this demo... I LOVE GETTING OUT THERE AND LISTENING WITH ALL OF YOU... :D

BTW-2 --- I have found that x-ls seems to present the best and "meatiest" CENTER when around 6 to 7 feet apart on tweeter centres... More than that does seem to "narrow" that Centre Fill as you have mentioned (good ear)...

Again, my thanks...

All the best...

mls
I read about it on the AV123 forum (have not posted this there yet), but it is a bit of a drive for me :D If you ever do a GTG up in northern Ca, I'll be there :) Would love to hear the Strata Minis...

As surrounds it may not be so much of an issue. Bass can get out back at times, but it isn't generally as deep or as sustained as what mains will see. Also, when I had them close to the wall, I was running them full range.

Hey JG, how would you say these compare to your AV-2s or AV-ls from GR?
It has been a while since I had my A/V-1s, but I'd have to say they are pretty similar in character. Lower sensitivity, clean and clear vocals, and on the softer side, they sound better when pushed a little harder. The A/V-1s have a bit more depth to them and smoother highs, but I also had the upgraded crossovers in them. I only sold them because I found the additional pair of A/V-2s that I currently use as surrounds. I am actually picking up a pair that are almost identical to my former pair, just without the x-over mods, this week...

Last edited:
WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
It has been a while since I had my A/V-1s, but I'd have to say they are pretty similar in character. Lower sensitivity, clean and clear vocals, and on the softer side, they sound better when pushed a little harder. The A/V-1s have a bit more depth to them and smoother highs, but I also had the upgraded crossovers in them. I only sold them because I found the additional pair of A/V-2s that I currently use as surrounds. I am actually picking up a pair that are almost identical to my former pair, just without the x-over mods, this week...
Cool... Would you say that the x-over mod makes a big difference (sonocaps) ? I'm thinking about building a pair of AV-1/2s and I'm not sure how much the cost adds to the performance. I'm on a budget but I'm also going to start my own little local business based off of GRs drivers and designs. I'm hoping to start modest, but then finally build up enough funds to build this cool hybrid design (a cross between that Strata from AV-123 and the GR OB-5) that should be cool. That should sell for a lot of $,$$$ ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Cool... Would you say that the x-over mod makes a big difference (sonocaps) ? I'm thinking about building a pair of AV-1/2s and I'm not sure how much the cost adds to the performance. I'm on a budget but I'm also going to start my own little local business based off of GRs drivers and designs. I'm hoping to start modest, but then finally build up enough funds to build this cool hybrid design (a cross between that Strata from AV-123 and the GR OB-5) that should be cool. That should sell for a lot of $,$$$ ;)
The speakers sound very good without the modified x-over. The difference is actually kind of subtle, but it is noticeable. My surrounds do not have the mod, while my main 3 do, though my main 3 also have a newer version of tweeter as well, and that also sounds slightly different. I can go back and forth between pairs, though I haven't done it directly, I did use only my surround pair when I first moved in and then switched back to my regular mains and I could hear the difference. Treble is smoother, mids are a bit more focused and the overall sound is actually a bit softer. My main pair I bought with the standard x-over and then bought the Sonicaps afterwards, which meant rebuilding the whole x-over.

I've been toying with setting up shop in the garage I now have and building a small supply of GR speakers also...I don't know if it would be profitable, but it would at least be fun and get some more GR speakers out there :)

Sorry, didn't take any pics of them, but I think there will be another opportunity coming up this weekend if we have a little local get together that we are trying to setup. They look just like the ones on the AV123 site.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Great review John, you are one articulate sob :D

We had a small get together yesterday at cyberbri's and I had a chance to listen to some Rocket ELT's, the Mordaunt-Shorts (now mine), the XL-Ss and AV-1s.

They were all very nice, I won't try to articulate other than I thought the XL-Ss were excellent. The AV-1s were special.

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
We had a small get together yesterday at cyberbri's and I had a chance to listen to some Rocket ELT's, the Mordaunt-Shorts (now mine), the XL-Ss and AV-1s.

They were all very nice, I won't try to articulate other than I thought the XL-Ss were excellent. The AV-1s were special.
Did you prefer the AV-1s over the X-ls-s, or were they pretty much equal?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis