My humble X-LS impressions

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
There are similarities in design, but I liked the AV-1s quite a bit better. I think this is understandable since the built AV-1 kits go for ~ $750/pair. These were the star of the show. Let John give his impressions, he's much better at it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I was hoping the X-LSs would be more like the A/V-1s myself, but they aren't, and as Ron mentioned, it isn't entirely fair to compare them with their nearly 4x price difference for a built pair. They share some distinct similarities in voice/timbre, but the X-LSs are much softer than the A/V-1s, particularly in the upper midrange, and slightly so in the highs. I think it is due to those differences that the A/V-1 presents you with much more detail in the midrange. The A/V-1s are smaller due to the use of a 5 1/4 driver vs 6 1/2, though they have the same -3dB of 55Hz, so bass extension is pretty similar and the A/V-1s are also listed as 86dB sensitivity vs 87dB of the X-LS. Their similarities lie in the fact that they both throw out a huge soundstage for their small size making them sound like larger speakers and the fact that they are both very easy to listen to and get comfortable with, I guess is the right way to say it, sort of like your favorite old pair of jeans.

There is apparently an upgraded version of the X-LS coming very soon, as well as the availability of at least two crossover modificatons. I have been told the x-over mods deal specifically with the upper midrange and highs, so I would imagine that would make this very good speaker that much better without breaking the bank for what you get. The mods aren't cheap, but the total cost is still right around $400.

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
Sweet, thanks for clearing that up. I'll probably buy a kit sometime soon.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis