Debate :1 or 2 subs

A

Anglofun

Enthusiast
Folks!

I am 80 % HIFI 2 channel in my downstairs rig. I have a multi channel setup that is all Open baffle Tri amped. Maybe I should post a pic, I will if it helps. I have added in ceiling recently for presence speakers (the only non OB).

My mains, even in an open baffle configuration (according to REW) go down to 25 hz. Open baffle bass is a very different beast from a sealed or BR enclosure. I have an SVS PB 1000, nothing special that I added for that very first octave and below (I think 17 hz). It really captures detail and slam for me in 2 channel mode. I cut the subs at 33hz @ 24db/octave.

In movies, that wonderful APP allows me to have a movie setting. For movies I do an 80hz xover and the thing really goes.

So the big question,

With all the work I will have to do in time alignment, phase and what have you, will I gain in imaging (when in 2 channel) cut as low as 33hz?

A

Anglofun

Enthusiast
You got a lot of input in your other threads. How did that work out for you?
Made the holes, passed all the wires and redoing my AV rack. So to answer the question, I do not know yet but am very confident. Will post in that thread once it all comes together. Thanks for asking me!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd think if you are getting good response at your seat, and only your seat matters, you're likely fine as is. A full listing of gear involved may not be necessary, but could be interesting. I wouldn't expect different "imaging" from another sub in any case.

A

Anglofun

Enthusiast
I'd think if you are getting good response at your seat, and only your seat matters, you're likely fine as is. A full listing of gear involved may not be necessary, but could be interesting. I wouldn't expect different "imaging" from another sub in any case.

Hi

Was hesitating on posting more info, here is the system. Sorry for the wip.

The receiver is a Yamaha Aventage a4a

The mains are in an Open baffle. This includes the bass drivers.

This powers the wide band SP 15 A (15") 103 db efficiency with a modified re cone job.

Fountek Neopro10i Ribbon Tweeter 102 db powered by a Plinius 8200 MKII that is crossover at 4k with an active BRYSTON Xover.

The Supravox 15 " 400 exc. (98 db efficiency) This driver is powered by its own analog power supply (I posted a photo of the HP) (Set at 5 volts)and a Paradigm X30. I do not use the xover in the Paradigm amp, but again the Bryston Active Xover. Cut off at 150 hz, Gain + 6db. The FS of the Supravox is 23 hz. The magic in this driver is the QTS being 0.7 at 5 volts, so it works very nicely in an Open baffle.

I will post my FR in REW soon as soon as I get it up and running again.

I won't mention the surrounds (which are also ElectroVoice in an Open baffle ) right now as I am trying to stay on topic with the 2 channel setup.

To this I have an SVS PB1000 cut at 33hz @ 24 db / octave

Attachments

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi

Was hesitating on posting more info, here is the system. Sorry for the wip.

The receiver is a Yamaha Aventage a4a.

The mains are in an Open baffle. This includes the bass drivers.

This powers the wideband SP15A (15") 103db efficiency with a modified reconing job.

Fountek Neopro10i Ribbon Tweeter 102db powered by a Plinius 8200 MKII that is crossover at 4k with an active BRYSTON Xover.

The Supravox 15 " 400 exc. This driver is powered by its own analog power supply (I posted a photo of the HP) (Set at 5 volts)and a Paradigm X30. I do not use the xover in the Paradigm amp, but again the Bryston Active Xover. Cut off at 150 hz, GAin + 6db. The FS of the Supravox is 23 hz. The magic in this driver is the QTS being 0.7 at 5 volts, so it works very nicely in an Open baffle.

I will post my FR in REW soon as soon as I get it up and running again.

I won't mention the surrounds (which are also EV in an Open baffle ) right now as we should stay on topic with the 2 channel setup.

To this I have an SVS PB1000 cut at 33hz @ 24 db / octave
Interesting speakers. So the sub is bass managed not thru the avr but your Bryston xover? Why differentiate sub use for 2ch only?

A

Anglofun

Enthusiast
Interesting speakers. So the sub is bass managed not thru the avr but your Bryston xover? Why differentiate sub use for 2ch only?
The Supravox are part of the mains. They do 20 hz to 150, cut at 6 db / octave and are at + 6DB. The Subwoofer is the SVS PB1000.

A

Anglofun

Enthusiast
How capable are they at 20hz, tho? The f3 is 20hz? Or?
I will post REW measurements as soon as it is up and running. OB bass is a very different beast from BR or a sealed cabinet or even an infinite baffle. The F3 is 23 hz. ( Those purists 2 channel boys, think I am crazy adding the sub because I have more than enough bass. To me the SVS a whole other dimension. The SVS which I add 3-4 db at 20hz, adds more oumf, presence, detail and imaging.

To be honest, I am shocked at the FR when looking at REW. They do dig down, just wouldn't have said that much especially when comparing with the SVS.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I will post REW measurements as soon as it is up and running. OB bass is a very different beast from BR or a sealed cabinet or even an infinite baffle. The F3 is 23 hz. ( Those purists 2 channel boys, think I am crazy adding the sub because I have more than enough bass. To me the SVS a whole other dimension. The SVS which I add 3-4 db at 20hz, adds more oumf, presence, detail and imaging.

To be honest, I am shocked at the FR when looking at REW. They do dig down, just wouldn't have said that much especially when comparing with the SVS.
I had open baffle type speakers with several bass drivers and they were still not all that great for higher volume so am curious. It may dig down to 23hz but at what spl would be my concern in using them vs using a sub(s). Maybe oomph but presence, detail and imaging?

A

Anglofun

Enthusiast
I had open baffle type speakers with several bass drivers and they were still not all that great for higher volume so am curious. It may dig down to 23hz but at what spl would be my concern in using them vs using a sub(s). Maybe oomph but presence, detail and imaging?
I can post my REW measurements soon to show the FR. I think most OB do not address the - 6db in the bass response (which baffles me, pun intended). I have listened to commercial setups that sound quite good in the midrange but do not address the issues in the design when it comes to bass. Not saying this is the case with the ones ypu have had, but in my case detail, imaging and oomf (especially with an analog power supply) is quite good.

My upstairs 2 channel system is based on Kappa 9 with a Classe Dr2 adn have tried many different amps as these are brutal to drive and the bass response downstairs (as an example, in case you are familiar with Kappa 9) and my OB have much more bass , detail and oomf. The Kappas do have great qualities though!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis