Focal Goes Active with $40k DIVA UTOPIA Wireless Speakers!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Focal has introduced its first active streaming wireless speaker, and it’s a doozy. While there are plenty of affordable and mid-priced options in this increasingly popular category, the new DIVA UTOPIA ($39,999/pair) is aimed squarely at the well-heeled audiophile who values simplicity and design, but who still demands the extreme levels of performance offered by the best component-based systems.

Focal.jpg

The DIVA UTOPIA employs a 6.5-inch midrange driver mounted beneath the tweeter, and four 6.5-inch woofers positioned on the sides of the cabinet. The midrange driver delivers an “ultra detailed, natural midrange with no distortion and front impact in the bass,” according to Focal. The woofers, which are arranged in a push-push configuration, are reportedly capable of high power handling and “stunning bass presence.” Focal’s rated bandwidth for the DIVA UTOPIA is 27Hz-40kHz (+/-3dB), with a -6dB point at 24Hz. The midrange driver and woofers all feature Focal’s unique "W" sandwich cone technology, a design that has been used in the brand’s top speakers since 1995. The bass section receives 250 watts, while the mid and tweeter receive 75 watts/ea for a total of 400 watts of Class AB Naim amplification.

We will be getting a demo of these speakers next week at a press event in NYC and will report back on our subjective listening impressions.

Read: Focal $40K DIVA UTOPIA Active Wireless Streaming Speakers Overview

Last edited:
T

TankTop5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Focal finally embracing DSP and if you look closely a bit of a waveguide on the tweeter. Focals drivers have always been pretty efficient with the crossover, impedance and negative phase curve being their main issue. With a digital crossover I think the amplification will be plenty although the lack of a subwoofer output in my opinion is a negative. That said I think this is just a product to get Focal attention but hopefully we see some of these technologies trickle down and new products launched in the next few years

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
That looks like something the Jawas tried to pawn off on Uncle Owen and Luke. 40k?:D

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Focal finally embracing DSP and if you look closely a bit of a waveguide on the tweeter. Focals drivers have always been pretty efficient with the crossover, impedance and negative phase curve being their main issue. With a digital crossover I think the amplification will be plenty although the lack of a subwoofer output in my opinion is a negative. That said I think this is just a product to get Focal attention but hopefully we see some of these technologies trickle down and new products launched in the next few years
In this case there is good reasons to believe that the Focals are actually active (amps after crossovers) as opposed to powered (amps before crossovers). If what I believe is correct I think that is great, otherwise its real sad.

One bad decision is to use inefficient heat generating AB amps when there are excellent class D amps available.

Perhaps @gene or @shadyJ can comment upon whether the Focal speakers are active or powered?

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In this case there is good reasons to believe that the Focals are actually active (amps after crossovers) as opposed to powered (amps before crossovers). If what I believe is correct I think that is great, otherwise its real sad.

One bad decision is to use inefficient heat generating AB amps when there are excellent class D amps available.

Perhaps @gene or @shadyJ can comment upon whether the Focal speakers are active or powered?
Has to be an active crossover seeing as how each driver gets its own amp.

Class AB can be very good. I am sure there is a reason why Focal/Naim went with class AB over class D in a no-expenses-spared loudspeaker.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Has to be an active crossover seeing as how each driver gets its own amp.
I read that, but to be honest I don't have that much faith (pun intended) the author of the article gets things like this right. Thus my question.

Class AB can be very good. I am sure there is a reason why Focal/Naim went with class AB over class D in a no-expenses-spared loudspeaker.
I don't dispute that the AB amps are most likely excellent, but they are still inefficient and heat generating amps with the best class D amps performing better (not audibly, likely).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis