RBH Sound Impression 85-1 Floor-Standing Loudspeaker Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Actually the wood is oak veneer. The speaker are built from high grade MDF, carefully damped and braced.

The tweeters are Dynaudio D 28 AF, the bass mids and fill drivers are Dynaudio D17 EXTs. Those were, and still are highly renowned drivers, and from a time when Dynaudio were at the top of the game. The speakers were designed using the software of Bullock and White.

When I was monitoring concerts in the Chester Fritz auditorium orchestra members would crowd into the green room at the Chester Fritz auditorium and were highly complimentary of those speakers. They were good speakers in 1984 by any of todays standards and they are still good speakers and there is zero reason to trash them.

That was a time when many manufacturers made their drivers available. It is retrograde that they still don't.

You can down load the 1980s driver catalog here. It is too large to attach. You will see what superb drivers were available at that time.

So the speakers may be 40 years old but are still superb speakers giving excellent results as my surrounds.

Yes, I'm not impressed with what is basically a small bookshelf speakers perched on top of passive subwoofer fed with an insanely large series inductor.
Sorry but I won't take your word on any of this. Arguing that 40 year old driver tech is as good as today's modern drivers is like saying performance cars from 40 years ago can handle and be as efficient as today's cars. It's simply ridiculous and displays a level of nostalgia over reality. Believe me, I still have a fondness for vintage audio gear I grew up with and 8-bit games from my Commodore 64 and Colecovision. But, they are no match for today's tech.

The fact that you're still using Omni-mic is another example of not pushing forward in embracing new and better tech and tools. You only show in-room highly smoothed measurements at the main listening position and no serious anechoic measurements of your products. Like what you like, but be careful making ASSumptions on products you've never heard. There's a whole world out there of great gear and loudspeakers are getting better in the modern age, NOT worse.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Sorry but I won't take your word on any of this. Arguing that 40 year old driver tech is as good as today's modern drivers is like saying performance cars from 40 years ago can handle and be as efficient as today's cars. It's simply ridiculous and displays a level of nostalgia over reality. Believe me, I still have a fondness for vintage audio gear I grew up with and 8-bit games from my Commodore 64 and Colecovision. But, they are no match for today's tech.

The fact that you're still using Omni-mic is another example of not pushing forward in embracing new and better tech and tools. You only show in-room highly smoothed measurements at the main listening position and no serious anechoic measurements of your products. Like what you like, but be careful making ASSumptions on products you've never heard. There's a whole world out there of great gear and loudspeakers are getting better in the modern age, NOT worse.
Those Dynaudio drivers with 3" voice coils are essentially still in production and very well regarded.

In 1975 there was a split of Dynaudio and Meir Mordechai bought out Skaaning's and Richter's shares. They all had the right to the patents. Dynaudio has had Chinese owners for sometime now, but Meir Mordechai formed Morel which is still in business and still manufactures those 6" drivers with 3" voice coils.

I used them in my in wall system.

My front three speakers all use drivers from still current production from SEAS. Those same drivers are used by many current manufacturers. I built those speakers in 2005/2006. I have absolutely no desire to replace them.

I really don't like the update craze. I prefer, "get it right the first time." Yes, I could update the test equipment, but I have no desire to change a thing. In the last year I have attended a number of concerts that were put on line. What I hear in my room is a very faithful rendition of what I heard live.

Longevity and reliability are major design goals for me. Upgrading is essentially wasteful and costly.

One of my favorite drivers of all time the KEF B 139 has been back in production the last few years from Falcon acoustics.

I am not aware of any bass driver that can give that performance in a slim cabinet.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Man, you talk too much.

I'll take Jame's words over yours.

"Moving on to discussion about its strengths, I would say its foremost strength is its sound quality. While I was just complaining about the hot treble, that only occurs when the speaker is facing the listener directly, but most users end up facing the speaker outward for a symmetrical stance, and in that positioning, it sounds quite nice. It has a good spectral balance and even tonality, and it has a decent amount of punch for a modestly-sized floor-standing speaker as well. Furthermore, its low-frequency extension is much deeper than would be expected of a tower speaker of its size. As I mentioned before, I was getting real bass to below 30Hz, and I doubt there are any other floor-standers in its size that can do that. The imaging and soundstage projected was also very good. It wasn’t as pinpoint precise as some other speakers I have dealt with, but those are much more expensive on average and also aren’t as small in size. As I said in my listening impressions, even though the 85-i speakers aren’t large, they can produce a large sound."

"In the end, the RBH Sound 85-i speakers exceeded my expectations. I thought that their smaller size would make for a compromised sound, but it doesn’t. They are an overall well-executed and well-made design that is a strong class competitor even though it is largely made in America which I would have expected to necessitate a much higher cost. I don’t know how RBH managed to pull this trick off, but I am glad they did. Anyone wanting a full-range sound out of a small-footprint tower should definitely take a very close look at the 85-i floor-standing speakers."
In the end, the RBH Sound 85-i speakers exceeded my expectations. I thought that their smaller size would make for a compromised sound, but it doesn’t. They are an overall well-executed and well-made design that is a strong class competitor even though it is largely made in America which I would have expected to necessitate a much higher cost. I don’t know how RBH managed to pull this trick off, but I am glad they did.

HUH???

Did @TLS Guy read the same review the rest of us did?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
For a good few years now, RBH Sound hasn’t had any offerings in the entry-level segment of the loudspeaker market, likely due to their shift from China to the USA in manufacturing. The fact is that China can manufacture most consumer electronics goods far more inexpensively than can be done in the US, and this makes it difficult to find a profit in larger volume and lower margin speakers. However, the supply chain problems during the COVID-19 years taught American consumer electronics companies that dependence on Chinese manufacturing can be a double-edged sword. In order to have a more reliable supply chain, RBH went through the painful move to US manufacturing, and now that the shift to domestic cabinet manufacturing is complete, they are set to offer loudspeakers over a wider range of prices. For this reason, RBH Sound has now brought back their entry-level Impression series loudspeakers which are surely the lowest-cost loudspeakers made in the USA in their class. In for review today is the Impression 85-i, their 3-way tower speaker from this series featuring a side firing 8" woofer with subwoofer like bass, a 5 1/4" midrange and 1" fabric dome tweeter for a modest asking price of $1,195/pair. In evaluating these speakers, we will ask how they fare against other floor-standing speakers in their class? How do they perform, and can American manufacturing still compete with Chinese manufacturing for the cost? Read our full review to find out…

READ: RBH Sound Impression 85-i Tower Speaker Review
Another fantastic review Shady!!!!!

These would have been my bedroom purchase if I hadn't scored that killer deal on the RBH EmpTek (I hope I spelled it right) made setup this summer.

It speaks volumes to how good RBH is that the 2 main setups for me in my house, my home theater and my bedroom are both RBH systems.

These can also be upgraded for a reasonable cost to that famous AMT tweeter RBH has I wonder just how much better those would be to the already well performing speakers you reviewed

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
For a good few years now, RBH Sound hasn’t had any offerings in the entry-level segment of the loudspeaker market, likely due to their shift from China to the USA in manufacturing. The fact is that China can manufacture most consumer electronics goods far more inexpensively than can be done in the US, and this makes it difficult to find a profit in larger volume and lower margin speakers. However, the supply chain problems during the COVID-19 years taught American consumer electronics companies that dependence on Chinese manufacturing can be a double-edged sword. In order to have a more reliable supply chain, RBH went through the painful move to US manufacturing, and now that the shift to domestic cabinet manufacturing is complete, they are set to offer loudspeakers over a wider range of prices. For this reason, RBH Sound has now brought back their entry-level Impression series loudspeakers which are surely the lowest-cost loudspeakers made in the USA in their class. In for review today is the Impression 85-i, their 3-way tower speaker from this series featuring a side firing 8" woofer with subwoofer like bass, a 5 1/4" midrange and 1" fabric dome tweeter for a modest asking price of $1,195/pair. In evaluating these speakers, we will ask how they fare against other floor-standing speakers in their class? How do they perform, and can American manufacturing still compete with Chinese manufacturing for the cost? Read our full review to find out…

READ: RBH Sound Impression 85-i Tower Speaker Review
Shady it's crazy how our tastes in movies correlate.

You should check out a scary movie me and my friends just watched called Oddity it's really really good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In the end, the RBH Sound 85-i speakers exceeded my expectations. I thought that their smaller size would make for a compromised sound, but it doesn’t. They are an overall well-executed and well-made design that is a strong class competitor even though it is largely made in America which I would have expected to necessitate a much higher cost. I don’t know how RBH managed to pull this trick off, but I am glad they did.

HUH???

He doesn't care what anyone else thinks. If he uses the speaker, then it's all good. Otherwise, they suck. :D

One time he was trying to convince Gene and others that one of his in-ceiling speakers was fantastic - even though Gene has listened to those speakers in the past and thought they were crappy speakers. It was funny. :D

Now, it's okay when people disagree. It happens every day. We can agree to disagree. But when people think they know it all even though they don't know it all, but they still want to cram it down everyone's throat, it's ridiculous. :D

And then he talks on and on about all his speakers and amps and whole life story. :D

Last edited:
Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic

HUH???

Speaking for myself, not being able to give those a test ride in person which I would highly recommend before purchasing any speaker. I myself had my choices of picking speakers that's based on review only and/or User recommendations. Has RBH ever released a speaker not worthy of their stamp. None that I know of. Sadly as one would say you can plan and plan but you can't plan the results in most cases. Had my mind set on a pair. Got a reality check this morning with a slipping transmission between second and third gear on my two hundred and sixty thousand mile old truck. Now it's bookshelf Polk's. :(:)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Speaking for myself, not being able to give those a test ride in person which I would highly recommend before purchasing any speaker. I myself had my choices of picking speakers that's based on review only and/or User recommendations. Has RBH ever released a speaker not worthy of their stamp. None that I know of. Sadly as one would say you can plan and plan but you can't plan the results in most cases. Had my mind set on a pair. Got a reality check this morning with a slipping transmission between second and third gear on my two hundred and sixty thousand mile old truck. Now it's bookshelf Polk's. :(:)
Dang man sorry to hear that. Hey ride it out put back money after you get past this in a year flip the polks and buy these speakers!!!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis