FTC to Crackdown on Fake Reviews, Bots, and Other Assorted Online Skulduggery!

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
The new FTC rules go into effect October 21. That's when all those bot driven reviews on Amazon product pages artificially pumping up ratings, will be in violation. The FTC will be able to deploy its new weapon in its final rule, backed by serious teeth in the way of $50K+ fines per-violation.

But does the relatively small government agency stand a chance in efforts to hold back the tide with a broom? There will be significant hurdles to even making a dent in the problem of fakery online.

Is the FTC War on Fake Reviews Doomed to Fail?
FTC-Bans.jpg

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I would be happy if they ended spam calls and text messages, which they were required to do, but have failed. Maybe AI can help........

1726669391999.png

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, will see. Consumer Reports had an article about the prosecution of the most egregious "do not call" violations with huge fines.
Hope is eternal.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
The new FTC rules go into effect October 21. That's when all those bot driven reviews on Amazon product pages artificially pumping up ratings, will be in violation. The FTC will be able to deploy its new weapon in its final rule, backed by serious teeth in the way of $50K+ fines per-violation.

But does the relatively small government agency stand a chance in efforts to hold back the tide with a broom? There will be significant hurdles to even making a dent in the problem of fakery online.

Is the FTC War on Fake Reviews Doomed to Fail?
View attachment 69562
I think it's a good start and an improvement. Is it, or will it ever be foolproof? Absolutely not. But I don't think it's doomed to fail and we shouldn't take a stand.

People are creative and will find loopholes and we all know the gvt doesn't move faster than people's creativeness to circumvent laws like this.

M

mns3dhm

Enthusiast
Dubious reviews will continue to dupe people because you can fool some of the people all of the time. Something like 1 in 7 people responded in the affirmative when asked if chocolate milk comes from brown cows. A recent survey of college students revealed that 1 in 4 thought Judge Judy was a member of the Supreme Court. Hopefully they were just having fun but if you’re thinking the FTC or any regulating body can make stupid people smart, think again.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Dubious reviews will continue to dupe people because you can fool some of the people all of the time. Something like 1 in 7 people responded in the affirmative when asked if chocolate milk comes from brown cows. A recent survey of college students revealed that 1 in 4 thought Judge Judy was a member of the Supreme Court. Hopefully they were just having fun but if you’re thinking the FTC or any regulating body can make stupid people smart, think again.
As long as there's a sucker born every minute, there will be online scams. We should never rely on a state body to protect us.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
As long as there's a sucker born every minute, there will be online scams. We should never rely on a state body to protect us.
I rely on a state body (government, in general) to make this less of a problem and actually give some protection or remedies. It's for sure not perfect in any way or shape.

One such "state body" is FDA and you can imagine what will happen if it was abolished.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis