Nearly 12 years since I posted on here. On the market for a refurbished or used receiver.

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
Gene was referring to the My Input Volume settings in the Web Setup, not in an app.. It simply sets the volume level of the receiver when switching input sources. Some sources may come in hot and switching to one from another at high volume could be unpleasant. If Intellvolume was still featured, one could level out each source and then set My Input Volume to Last for each input and not worry about some sources coming in hot when switching to them. There is no Intellivolume in the RZ70, not sure if the correct manual is being referenced.
Thanks for the clarification here -- my apologies for referring to it as an app and not the web setup.

You are correct about the way My Input Volume and IntelliVolume work, and that's why there's a difference between them.

If IntelliVolume is not included on the RZ70, what was Lovin' referring to?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Gene was referring to the My Input Volume settings in the Web Setup, not in an app
Anyone that has an Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra that hasn't used the web settings, hasn't really used their Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra units.

If your unit has the "nanny" function tripped, that's the only place you will know it has tripped for one thing.
And about 100 other things.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the clarification here -- my apologies for referring to it as an app and not the web setup.

You are correct about the way My Input Volume and IntelliVolume work, and that's why there's a difference between them.

If IntelliVolume is not included on the RZ70, what was Lovin' referring to?
Or better yet why is it described in the manual Onkyo published for the RZ70 if it's not there? Or are we talking gui vs app vs internet control or ?

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
Anyone that has an Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra that hasn't used the web settings, hasn't really used their Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra units.

If your unit has the "nanny" function tripped, that's the only place you will know it has tripped for one thing.
And about 100 other things.
Is the "nanny" feature you're referring to the annoying "eco power" thing that's plaguing these models?

Sounds like, because I don't use apps or web functionality to control or set up an AV amp, the newer Onkyos in particular really aren't for me, at all.

Shame.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oops double checked where it sent me on a search for the RZ70 and it gave me RZ720. Back to searching :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Onkyo isn't making it easy to find the damn full manual (on that list of documents the RZ720 appeared in, most were RZ70 like I searched for fwiw but no full manual for the RZ70, had to go look in another way). Intellivolume is gone from the RZ70 manual per a search that comes up with naught, but seems you can play with my input volume perhaps to achieve the same thing.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Is the "nanny" feature you're referring to the annoying "eco power" thing that's plaguing these models?

Sounds like, because I don't use apps or web functionality to control or set up an AV amp, the newer Onkyos in particular really aren't for me, at all.

Shame.
The "nanny" function cuts the total output power to prevent damage to the units..Only trips under extreme circumstance like a speaker short, or if the unit ends up in Amir's house. :)

The web function is highly useful for saving and loading different room correction curves to/from file for easy comparison.
My guess is the internal memory used by these AVR's isn't big enough for that function.

And just for fun, there are many other settings you just don't get on the unit itself...probably also related to memory limitations.

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
Onkyo isn't making it easy to find the damn full manual (on that list of documents the RZ720 appeared in, most were RZ70 like I searched for fwiw but no full manual for the RZ70, had to go look in another way). Intellivolume is gone from the RZ70 manual per a search that comes up with naught, but seems you can play with my input volume perhaps to achieve the same thing.
I don't know why you keep insisting -- when I've explained it multiple times now -- that My Input Volume achieves the same thing as IntelliVolume. It DOESN'T. It is a VOLUME STARTUP feature so each input can BEGIN at a preset level when the unit is turned on -- IntelliVolume is an INPUT LEVELING system that runs on a scale from -12dB to +12dB and acts like a preamp level sensitivity to balance out each input's output. These are NOT the same systems.

I don't understand why your comment was even "liked" because the insinuation that My Input Volume can achieve the same thing as IntelliVolume isn't true.

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
The "nanny" function cuts the total output power to prevent damage to the units..Only trips under extreme circumstance like a speaker short, or if the unit ends up in Amir's house. :)

The web function is highly useful for saving and loading different room correction curves to/from file for easy comparison.
My guess is the internal memory used by these AVR's isn't big enough for that function.

And just for fun, there are many other settings you just don't get on the unit itself...probably also related to memory limitations.
This is concerning if I end up getting another Onk because I only use the unit's onboard setup regimen/protocols.

As for the nanny function, that's what I thought you were referring to -- as long as this doesn't occur during normal operation, even at high levels, I guess it isn't something to worry about.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Apologies to @Cobratron for the derailment. For a hundred bucks, the Yamaha will work in a pinch using the optical connection to the TV. No it will not be lossless multichannel audio but its HDMI ports do not support lossless multichannel audio from Dolby or DTS with the HDMI 1.2a spec. It does have a full set of pre outs for an external amp. Getting a newer 4K model with a full set of pre amps will cost much more than one or two hundred bucks.

Anything else about Onkyo features including IntelliVolume and My Input Volume should be directed to this thread by @John Lohmann :

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
Apologies to @Cobratron for the derailment. For a hundred bucks, the Yamaha will work in a pinch using the optical connection to the TV. No it will not be lossless multichannel audio but its HDMI ports do not support lossless multichannel audio from Dolby or DTS with the HDMI 1.2a spec. It does have a full set of pre outs for an external amp. Getting a newer 4K model with a full set of pre amps will cost much more than one or two hundred bucks.

Anything else about Onkyo features including IntelliVolume and My Input Volume should be directed to this thread by @John Lohmann :

Why should the discussions about IntelliVolume and corresponding issues be directed at my thread about a DENON product? I apologize for derailing, as well, but it happens sometimes on forums; the thread I started about the X2800 had to do with upmixers, not IV.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
You were comparing the Denon to your older Onkyo. It seems like the appropriate place for it.

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
Fair enough; I think the point has been made about the difference between the systems, and seems like there is no current replacement for the IntelliVolume approach on newer models, so I suppose that's that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis