Nearly 12 years since I posted on here. On the market for a refurbished or used receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It seems intellivolume and input level adjust are same thing just different names

C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
What about the X3500H for $500 I linked to on USAudioMart? You don't pay through the site so you can make an offer below the asking price. Which coast are you on? Shipping from Texas might be costly but you can go on-line for estimates or ask the seller to price shipping.

There is also a newer Onkyo TX-RZ50 for $795 in NJ.
Also a Marantz SR5015 for $750, again in TX.

I don't think you're going to find anything with a full set of pre-outs for less than $500 unless it is an outdated analogue unit.
I didn't look into it further since I thought shipping would be costly. But will check it out

What about this receiver? Shows pre outs and the price is nice.

C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
Unfortunately, no because there aren't preouts -- BUT, you could get some speaker-to-line level converters and it will do the same thing. It's what I plan to do if I ever add an amp, because none of the AVRs I'd ever buy would come with preouts.
Speaker-to-line level converters? Never heard of this. Will certainly check it out as I really don't want to spend so much money on a use receiver the prices are so high it's crazy. I couldn't find any local repair shops I might have to look further out.

I did find this online and also being sold locally (reached out to seller) has preouts and I had a Yamaha in the past and the brand was good.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/364794855733?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=cdi4o5gqsng&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=H1EiJx24TLe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
Speaker-to-line level converters? Never heard of this. Will certainly check it out as I really don't want to spend so much money on a use receiver the prices are so high it's crazy. I couldn't find any local repair shops I might have to look further out.

I did find this online and also being sold locally (reached out to seller) has preouts and I had a Yamaha in the past and the brand was good.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/364794855733?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=cdi4o5gqsng&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=H1EiJx24TLe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Prehistoric with no 4K video switching.

Plenty of reviews

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I didn't look into it further since I thought shipping would be costly. But will check it out

What about this receiver? Shows pre outs and the price is nice.

I realize that the price is attractive but that must be a very early unit with only two HDMI inputs. I downloaded the manual and it only has HDMI version 1.2a and HDCP version 1.1. That can cause all sorts of headaches with copy protection and device handshaking with any newer gear. I would only use a receiver like that for a retro system that uses analogue devices that require component or composite connections or early HDMI sources like a PS3 (which is HDMI 1.4). As soon as you introduce newer sources and TVs you can start to experience problems. I know you're on a tight budget but with digital equipment you really need the latest standards.

Speaker to line-level converters are these.
They really are nothing more than some resistors to reduce the speaker output level of a receiver/amp down to a much smaller line level signal. They typically come in a stereo pair (2 channels). The one 5 channel model listed appears to be for car audio use and requires a 12V supply. Actually most listed appear to be designed for car use. Something like that can get the job done, but it's a kludge. Car receivers only have maybe 20W per channel at most. Connect one of those to an 80W/ch home receiver and you can burn out the resistors. They usually go open when they burn out but if they short then you damage the receiver it's connected to. If the converter exceeds 2V output then you potentially overdrive the inputs on your Emotiva. I would only try a converter like that on cheap gear that you're not afraid to damage.

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic

The converter I am referring to isn't expensive -- they basically work like car audio devices of the same name, where the speaker lines from the AVR go to this small box, and then RCA preouts come out of the converter and feed the amp. It's a workaround for AVRs without preamp outputs.

I am definitely looking to get rid of my Denon now, after finding out that the Dolby Surround upmixer algorithm in these new units does not function like the older Pro Logic II matrixer. Let me know if you're interested.

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
It seems intellivolume and input level adjust are same thing just different names
There's a feature on the NEW Onkyos that acts JUST like IntelliVolume in that it adjust the input level of EACH source connected to the AVR? And this is only available via the app?

Because as I understand it, Onkyo now includes something called MY INPUT VOLUME, which doesn't work like IntelliVolume -- it's basically a "volume level startup" setting for each input, and I was under the impression that it was meant to replace IntelliVolume.

If this is even so, I wouldn't use the app to set the AVR up, so the function is useless for me.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Anybody happy with DD and DTS 5.1 can use a receiver such as the Yamaha RX-V661 connected via optical to a newer 4K TV with external devices connected directly to the
TV's HDMI ports. The pre outs on the receiver can then be connected to an external amp. It also contains multichannel analog inputs for those with players that have them so that lossless audio is decoded at the source. While it does not support lossless bitstreams from Dolby or DTS with its HDMI 1.2 spec, a player outputting multichannel PCM over HDMI would work here.

No, the Onkyo IntelliVolume feature is not the same as the My Input Volume feature. The IntelliVolume feature is no more. The My Input Volume feature simply sets the input source volume level to the pre selected level when switching to it . Many leave all source levels at Last so there are no volume changes when switching input sources. It is accessible in the Onscreen Setup and the Web Setup but is not so in the Onkyo controller app.

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
No, the Onkyo IntelliVolume feature is not the same as the My Input Volume feature.
I knew that.

The IntelliVolume feature is no more.
I knew that.

The My Input Volume feature simply sets the input source volume level to the pre selected level when switching to it .
I knew that.

Many leave all source levels at Last so there are no volume changes when switching input sources. It is accessible in the Onscreen Setup and the Web Setup but is not so in the Onkyo controller app.
This makes sense, as that's how I would leave it -- but the issue is that we don't know if we're all talking about the same thing. Some are now claiming that there is a new feature that controls INPUT LEVELS for individual sources, like IntelliVolume did, but it's only accessible via an app duing setup. I am wondering if this is, in fact, the same thing as IntelliVolume, because My Input Volume DOESN'T boast the same functionality, at all.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Anybody happy with DD and DTS 5.1 can use a receiver such as the Yamaha RX-V661 connected via optical to a newer 4K TV with external devices connected directly to the
TV's HDMI ports. The pre outs on the receiver can then be connected to an external amp. It also contains multichannel analog inputs for those with players that have them so that lossless audio is decoded at the source. While it does not support lossless bitstreams from Dolby or DTS with its HDMI 1.2 spec, a player outputting multichannel PCM over HDMI would work here.

No, the Onkyo IntelliVolume feature is not the same as the My Input Volume feature. The IntelliVolume feature is no more. The My Input Volume feature simply sets the input source volume level to the pre selected level when switching to it . Many leave all source levels at Last so there are no volume changes when switching input sources. It is accessible in the Onscreen Setup and the Web Setup but is not so in the Onkyo controller app.
What does Intellivolume do particularly then? Been a while since I dug into my Onkyo menu but I remember it as a source level adjustment....

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
What does Intellivolume do particularly then? Been a while since I dug into my Onkyo menu but I remember it as a source level adjustment....
That's exactly what it was -- but this new feature on the newer units has something called MY INPUT VOLUME, and this is NOT the same. It is also bundled under the SOURCE settings in the setup, so obviously the manufacturer meant for it to be some kind of replacement.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's exactly what it was -- but this new feature on the newer units has something called MY INPUT VOLUME, and this is NOT the same. It is also bundled under the SOURCE settings in the setup, so obviously the manufacturer meant for it to be some kind of replacement.
Sounds like it does the same thing, just need to activate it differently? Maybe something that happened when Pioneer/Onkyo merged?

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
Sounds like it does the same thing, just need to activate it differently? Maybe something that happened when Pioneer/Onkyo merged?
No, it's NOT the same thing. IntelliVolume allowed you to set a certain input source's preamp sound output level via a range from -12dB to +12dB, almost like an old power amp's sensitivity control. My Input Volume acts like a starting volume setting for each input -- so if you want, say, the CD input to always come on at "25" on the volume, this is where you set it.

This MAY have happened when the companies merged, because it was around that time that things changed in Onkyo's AVRs, if my memory is correct. All I know is that the feature has been gone for a few generations now. It was a big selling point for me in an AVR, as it allowed me to do what you don't care for -- achieve a louder level at a lower volume number. Denon still offers a feature like this, and they call it Source Level or something like that; it was one of the reasons I picked up a Denon when it came time to switch out the Onk.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, it's NOT the same thing. IntelliVolume allowed you to set a certain input source's preamp sound output level via a range from -12dB to +12dB, almost like an old power amp's sensitivity control. My Input Volume acts like a starting volume setting for each input -- so if you want, say, the CD input to always come on at "25" on the volume, this is where you set it.
Okay, thanks for the clarification, was reading the descriptions a bit differently. I also went back to check on my Onkyo which does have intellivolume plus various settings in a separate volume adjustment menu (for startup, max, muting etc). My Denons have both types of settings too.

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
Okay, thanks for the clarification, was reading the descriptions a bit differently. I also went back to check on my Onkyo which does have intellivolume plus various settings in a separate volume adjustment menu (for startup, max, muting etc). My Denons have both types of settings too.
No worries; yeah, I am really disappointed that Onkyo dropped this feature. As I've said, it was one of the things -- along with the lack of display information for sound mode in use and input name at the same time -- that steered me away from the brand, and I was a rabid fan for many years.

BUT -- I am curious now if this other feature accessed via the app works similarly to IntelliVolume. I know Mike mentioned something about Gene pointing out that it DOES work like an input leveling feature, but it's only accessible if setting up the amp via the app (which is absolutely ridiculous IMO).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No worries; yeah, I am really disappointed that Onkyo dropped this feature. As I've said, it was one of the things -- along with the lack of display information for sound mode in use and input name at the same time -- that steered me away from the brand, and I was a rabid fan for many years.

BUT -- I am curious now if this other feature accessed via the app works similarly to IntelliVolume. I know Mike mentioned something about Gene pointing out that it DOES work like an input leveling feature, but it's only accessible if setting up the amp via the app (which is absolutely ridiculous IMO).
FWIW the volume adjust thing was stuck away in an odd place in the Onkyo....took me a while to find it. Sure its not buried in a menu somewhere? While I've used my laptop to adjust my Denons, I tend not to use a phone app for my setups, tho I can't think of anything particular that wasn't accessible via the regular gui....what specific Onkyo are we talking about?

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
FWIW the volume adjust thing was stuck away in an odd place in the Onkyo....took me a while to find it. Sure its not buried in a menu somewhere?
Not sure what volume adjust thing you're referring to, as I'm only familiar with channel level adjustments for calibration in terms of volume, but I do not believe any kind of source level feature is buried in any deep menu on the newer models.

While I've used my laptop to adjust my Denons, I tend not to use a phone app for my setups, tho I can't think of anything particular that wasn't accessible via the regular gui....what specific Onkyo are we talking about?
If you look a page back in this thread, Mike Up was mentioning something about this in the RZ70 flagship reviewed by Gene here....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure what volume adjust thing you're referring to, as I'm only familiar with channel level adjustments for calibration in terms of volume, but I do not believe any kind of source level feature is buried in any deep menu on the newer models.

If you look a page back in this thread, Mike Up was mentioning something about this in the RZ70 flagship reviewed by Gene here....
Looking at the RZ70 manual Intellivolume is mentioned on page 30 of the downloadable manual

The volume adjustments like I mentioned....for the RZ70 it's also there on page 29 just above the intellivolume thing.

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
Looking at the RZ70 manual Intellivolume is mentioned on page 30 of the downloadable manual
THAT'S news to me. I thought it was dropped from all models. I'll have a look, but if this is only available on the 70, it would be beyond my financial or personal needs reach anyway.

I wonder if it's going to be included on the new RZ30 launched at CEDIA this month....

The volume adjustments like I mentioned....for the RZ70 it's also there on page 29 just above the intellivolume thing.
Let me look....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Gene was referring to the My Input Volume settings in the Web Setup, not in an app. It simply sets the volume level of the receiver when switching input sources. Some sources may come in hot and switching to one from another at high volume could be unpleasant. If IntellVolume was still featured, one could level out each source and then set My Input Volume to Last for each input and not worry about some sources coming in hot when switching to them. There is no IntelliVolume in the RZ70, not sure if the correct manual is being referenced.
Screenshot 2024-09-18 at 3.18.38 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-18 at 3.23.16 PM.png

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis