Why does Movie Music sound better?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Here's a great example.
I just started watching "Stranger Things" Season 4 this evening. (I know, it took me long enough :))
Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" in episode 1....never sounded so good. And I'm a Kate Bush fanatic.
(I understand this song comes up many times in Season 4)

Episode 2, at the skating rink...Baltimora's "Tarzan Boy"
And later in the episode...Talking Heads "Psycho Killer" (ironically)...both sounding better than I've ever heard them.
And, not just louder which tricks many..they were just much better.
And, not just that the show uses Atmos.
The sound mixer really went to town on these songs.
I only just finished 2 episodes...lets see what else comes up.
The first time I really noticed this was watching the Imax Coral Reef Adventure which features a soundtrack by Crosby, Still, and Nash in 2003. It just sounded unbelievably good in the Imax theater. This may be unique in that CS&N were actually involved.

More generally what I want to know is, are they using original recordings from the artist/record label? Or did they start with the same CD I can buy and use Pro Tools to break it down into its parts and then remix it? With the artists permission I presume.

Having no experience with SACD, how does it compare? I have a few DD, DL, and DTS music disks that were pretty good, but I not as good as movies with songs. Both played on my HT system.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The first time I really noticed this was watching the Imax Coral Reef Adventure which features a soundtrack by Crosby, Still, and Nash in 2003. It just sounded unbelievably good in the Imax theater. This may be unique in that CN&Y were actually involved.

More generally what I want to know is, are they using original recordings from the artist/record label? Or did they start with the same CD I can buy and use Pro Tools to break it down into its parts and then remix it? With the artists permission I presume.

Having no experience with SACD, how does it compare? I have a few DD, DL, and DTS music disks that were pretty good, but I not as good as movies with songs. Both played on my HT system.
FWIW I assume they're getting more than a cd to work with. If they're going to use a song in a film they will be paying for it, sometimes quite a bit.

I consider my multich SACDs in same general vein as multich dvd or bluray, many are based on old quad recordings, tho.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would guess that music scores are more highly compressed. After all, they have to fight for dynamic range against sound effects and dialogue. I think what you like about them is that they are simply louder.
I was going to say the same.

Music in movies are more compressed so they just sound louder and with more of everything including bass.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was going to say the sam

Music in movies are more compressed so they just sound louder and with more of everything including bass.
It's the movie trailers they really get carried away with the compression I think. Many times the music I'm thinking of isn't particularly competing with dialog or sound effects but would be interesting to know about compression levels used or not in a variety of instances during a movie....

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Having no experience with SACD, how does it compare?
Some of them are notable improvements, and some are not.
The main reason to ever consider an SACD is for different mixes.

Generally, the stereo mix is the same as the Redbook CD.
As far as being higher bitrate, that was not beneficial. (although many will swear they hear a difference)
Volume almost always appears lower on SACD.

Many SACD's had/have 5.1 mixes.
Some like Kraftwerk are very good, well worth the purchase....others are unlistenable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis