A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
Hi! We are putting a HT system in our loft area. Unfortunately due to the layout and dimensions, a projector is not feasible. Was looking at a Sony Bravia XR77A80L. Does anyone have any experiences with this set? Thanks to you all in advance!

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
It's a nice TV, 77" Sony flagship will cost around 2k more. There is a new model, Bravia 8.

Last edited:
A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
It's a nice TV, 77" Sony flagship will cost around 2k maybe more. There is a new model, Bravia 9.
Thanks! I’ll check that out! Sorry for the thumbs down!! I’m using my phone and the damn buttons are too small. Trying to change it….,

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Thanks! I’ll check that out! Sorry for the thumbs down!! I’m using my phone and the damn buttons are too small. Trying to change it….,
It's the Bravia 8, my bad, 77" goes for $3898. The 9 is QDLED, BestBuy has that 77" A80L for 2999.99.
Also LG 77 C3 for 2299.99. I believe it gets a little brighter than the A80L. But Sony has the better processing according to the pro reviewers I'd be happy with either one though, LG a lot cheaper. I'm gonna be replacing my cheap Hisense in a few months and may go OLED also but 65". People may not realize pixels can dull out over time, get dark spots just like O L E D's can get burned in. My TV is less than 3 years old and has a dark spot on the left side already.

it's all good, check out this site, https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a80l-a80cl-oled

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Sony TVs do not support the Xfinity app. LG OLED TVs support it.;)

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Glad you chimed in, how are you liking your LG OLED? I believe you've been having it for a while now right?

LG OLED doesn't have the new 3.0 antenna tuner? Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision I believe. Trade offs, I've read that LG It's gonna start having China build their panels soon, don't know how true that is can't remember where I found the article.

Last edited:
Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Picture still great, Simplink annoying at times.
Than you Most definitely would not want to try Hisense brand. Buggiest TV I've ever owned plus the dark spot already but that's a cheap TV. 65" U6G. I'm itching to upgrade to an OLED. I'm hoping LG 65" C3 will still be around in 3 months.

A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the info! Ugh. I was thinking of getting an Apple TV. I have not investigated if I can somehow use the Apple TV for that.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
An issue with the Apple TV 4K is that it converts all incoming signals to LPCM by default. This increases the bandwidth needed for multichannel signals over HDMI and eARC is needed as ARC will not cut it. Some TVs can re encode the LPCM signal from the Apple TV 4K and output it as DD+ over ARC but the real time conversion can result in audio/video sync issues.

Is there a particular reason the Apple TV 4K is on the radar? Eco system thing? A plus for it is that it supports the Xfinity Stream app and is currently the ONLY device that supports Dolby Atmos for the Apple Music app over HDMI.

A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
An issue with the Apple TV 4K is that it converts all incoming signals to LPCM by default. This increases the bandwidth needed for multichannel signals over HDMI and eARC is needed as ARC will not cut it. Some TVs can re encode the LPCM signal from the Apple TV 4K and output it as DD+ over ARC but the real time conversion can result in audio/video sync issues.

Is there a particular reason the Apple TV 4K is on the radar? Eco system thing? A plus for it is that it supports the Xfinity Stream app and is currently the ONLY device that supports Dolby Atmos for the Apple Music app over HDMI.
Yes, mostly an eco system thing. I was just looking for a streaming device to try and avoid another Xfinity box. Wow! So much to learn! I was hoping to keep my older Marantz SR5005 and just purchase a TV. Now I am wondering what will or will not work together. I am will to upgrade my receiver if need be.

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Love mine.
LG or Sony OLED? The only other option on a LED so one doesn't get blooming is to go with a Direct lit. But the Contrast isn't as good as opposed to one that has a full array with local dimming. The only one I found that has decent specs is Sony's X85K. Also it seem that Sony OLED handles banding a lot better than the others, but the prices. I'd love their 65" A95L but at 3299 plus tax. Ouch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I'd keep it between LG (biggest developer of OLED tech afaik) and maybe Sony....

O

Oddball

Junior Audioholic
I would always advise to go bigger if the room and viewing habits allow. Going from 135" PJ setup to 88" FALD LED was a pretty rough experience. Since then have been to 77 and 83" OLEDs (albeit in smaller rooms) and year they were pretty good, but honestly pretty small even at 7.5" viewing distance. 83" is still in none of my setups. But 98" TCL QM8 (2024) mini LED is what I hugely prefer due to immersion and maturity that these TVs have achieved at this point, and still the viewing distance is only about 8". It is questionable what OLED vs this mini LED does better, but there is an overall balance in PQ where size becomes a decisive factor.

Don't think will ever go to PJ again as the mini Leds have grown to 110 and 115" and that is about the max my current room would allow anyway.

I would worry about AVR right now. AVRs are not that expensive if no special needs. Most recent Denon 3800H is in the $1K range is on sale. Getting the video right is kind of more, or at least 50%, of your HT.

Just my 2c...

A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
I would always advise to go bigger if the room and viewing habits allow. Going from 135" PJ setup to 88" FALD LED was a pretty rough experience. Since then have been to 77 and 83" OLEDs (albeit in smaller rooms) and year they were pretty good, but honestly pretty small even at 7.5" viewing distance. 83" is still in none of my setups. But 98" TCL QM8 (2024) mini LED is what I hugely prefer due to immersion and maturity that these TVs have achieved at this point, and still the viewing distance is only about 8". It is questionable what OLED vs this mini LED does better, but there is an overall balance in PQ where size becomes a decisive factor.

Don't think will ever go to PJ again as the mini Leds have grown to 110 and 115" and that is about the max my current room would allow anyway.

I would worry about AVR right now. AVRs are not that expensive if no special needs. Most recent Denon 3800H is in the $1K range is on sale. Getting the video right is kind of more, or at least 50%, of your HT.

Just my 2c...
Thanks! Yea definitely the TV will be first. Was hoping to stick with OLED but have not checked prices other than the Sony 77” one I mentioned. I will need to see how much more a larger one is. Problem is the height from the floor to ceiling is only 5ft (loft has sloped ceiling) and I was hoping to mount to the wall.

O

Oddball

Junior Audioholic
There might be some ceiling options for mounting but honestly never explored that. There are also brackets that will allow you to pull the TV 2 or more feet from the wall so if that works in your room perhaps could get some more space for the TV. I would leave a minimum TV clearance of 2 feet from the floor. If you are able to get 1 feet more by placing the TV further from the wall, you could potentially get 85" to fit.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis