R

Rhodey

Audiophyte
Hello all yall. Wanted to say hi and say I’m relatively new to the hobby. Had car audio pioneer with jl 5 channel infinity kappas etc.

Right now I’m getting into home setup for vinyl. My current setup is:

fluance rt81 with at vm95ml
Onkyo av receiver forget model number
Technics sblx90k’s
Art djpre2 phono

it’s sounding pretty decent, but I know it can get better.
Anyway just wanted to introduce myself.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hello all yall. Wanted to say hi and say I’m relatively new to the hobby. Had car audio pioneer with jl 5 channel infinity kappas etc.

Technics sblx90k’s
Art djpre2 phono

Hello and welcome to Audioholics! Looking forward to getting to know you and having a lot of fun talking audio.

That's the best part of this hobby. We start from somewhere and their is always room to make our systems better and better. No end to the horizon so to speak!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

Technics sblx90k’s
Art djpre2 phono

Hi and welcome. You're off to a pretty good start on your hobby. When you're ready to upgrade you can always get good advice here. I think the weak link in that setup would be the vintage Technics speakers but I'll admit that the old bass reflex cabinets with 15" woofers can have a lot of appeal. Sometimes you can't beat displacement. :)

R

Rhodey

Audiophyte
Hi and welcome. You're off to a pretty good start on your hobby. When you're ready to upgrade you can always get good advice here. I think the weak link in that setup would be the vintage Technics speakers but I'll admit that the old bass reflex cabinets with 15" woofers can have a lot of appeal. Sometimes you can't beat displacement. :)
thank you!

Not to age myself, but yes, I got those when I was 12 haha. My dad has an old pioneer setup and his old school tutelage is how I got those. I actually was looking for information on where to go from them, and that’s how I found this website!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
thank you!

Not to age myself, but yes, I got those when I was 12 haha. My dad has an old pioneer setup and his old school tutelage is how I got those. I actually was looking for information on where to go from them, and that’s how I found this website!
General consensus here is that speakers and speaker placement have the biggest impact on sound. Most amplifiers have a pretty flat response so not much of a difference there until you get into different types of room correction in modern receivers and amps.

The VM95ML is a decent cartridge but that is a whole other world when it comes to personal preferences. The phono pre-amp is a personal choice too but phono equalization is such a mature technology that it's hard to find a really bad phono pre-amp. If your AVR has a phono input it likely would do the job fine. The Fluance is a good starter table and should give you years of enjoyment.

Some upgrades are just for fun or aesthetics. Others you may have certain goals in mind. With what you have now, I would try and listen to as many different brands of speakers as you can. Each company has their own design philosophy and they can sound very different. Reviews are a good guide but it eventually comes down to what you prefer. If there are not any audio stores in your area, some members go to the used market to try different brands and then resell them.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Welcome Rhodey, long time vinyl guy here as well. We will be happy to help you spend tour money !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis