Anthem AVM 70 processor vs Integra 8.4 receiver

S

Stereodino

Enthusiast
Hello all, I am new to the forum, I am a long time Integra owner and I recently purchased the Anthem AVM70 to pair with my Anthem A5. I run Ken Kreisel speakers and sub. . My prior processor was a very old 2010 time frame Integra processor. I have lived with the AVM70 for about a year and recently just found out Integra is back with the 8.4 receiver.
I am simply not happy with the soundstage and movie capabilities of the AVM70, I guess I’m used to Integra sound. I am considering selling the AVM70 and going back to Integra since it has balanced pre outs for my A5 amp. Not sure if I’m going backwards here and not sure if it’s the right idea since I’ve always believed separates are best. I assume there would be no “piggybacking” from the Integra amp to the A5? All opinions are welcome! Thx Mike

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt your sonic memory is reliable to start. Let alone a brand having some sort of "sound" that is inherent in all models for a period of time. The differences in audio quality are much more likely due to any dsp involved rather than the basic unit. Is your amp a great distance away from the pre-pro/avr where balanced connection makes a difference? What is piggybacking?

S

Stereodino

Enthusiast
Components are separated by a shelve, I was told “piggybacking “ by a store owner as in the A5 thru the Integra isn’t ideal as via a processor direct to amp hookup. Not that I even completely understood what he was referring to. Again the soundstage just sounds smaller and less dynamic to me vs before. That’s the best way I can describe it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Components are separated by a shelve, I was told “piggybacking “ by a store owner as in the A5 thru the Integra isn’t ideal as via a processor direct to amp hookup. Not that I even completely understood what he was referring to. Again the soundstage just sounds smaller and less dynamic to me vs before. That’s the best way I can describe it.
Never heard that phrase before used in that context but salespeople say some strange things in audio. The Integra can act as pre-pro, and I'd not put something directly on top of an amp or receiver in any case due to ventilation needs. Processors do cost more than receivers, so perhaps that was his goal, to sell you something more expensive. Soundstage is something created primarily by the recording engineer and as played back on your speakers in your room; the electronics aren't particularly in play except perhaps some processing that can be different. Are you using the same speakers and room all along?

S

Stereodino

Enthusiast
All same for 4 years just the AVM70 about 12 mths ago. Sometimes I think it just may be coming down Integra Audyssey vs Anthem Arc?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
All same for 4 years just the AVM70 about 12 mths ago. Sometimes I think it just may be coming down Integra Audyssey vs Anthem Arc?
Yes, that's what I said earlier, the flavor of dsp can make differences. Maybe you just need to setup more carefully with ARC? Onkyo/Integra no longer uses Audyssey fwiw (they use their own in-house setup/eq routine and Dirac these days).

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Never heard that phrase before used in that context but salespeople say some strange things in audio. The Integra can act as pre-pro, and I'd not put something directly on top of an amp or receiver in any case due to ventilation needs. Processors do cost more than receivers, so perhaps that was his goal, to sell you something more expensive. Soundstage is something created primarily by the recording engineer and as played back on your speakers in your room; the electronics aren't particularly in play except perhaps some processing that can be different. Are you using the same speakers and room all along?
I'd assume the salesperson was referring to runing the A5 from pre-out from the Integra vs just using the internal receiver amplifiers. I personally woudl take the more powerful A5 amplifier channels since he already has it but the difference in day to day normal use is probably going to be neglible.

As an owner of an AVM70V, I can't say that I can relate to the OP's complaint. Mine sounds pretty damn good.

It makes me wonder if perhaps the processing setting on the AVM 70 is set to something less than ideal. Like say using Anthem Movie instead of the proper Dolby/Atmos setting for an Atmos movie.

Edit: Running ARC may also help, It'll balance out channels better but it doesn't change the funamental sound field processing of the multichannel mix.

S

Stereodino

Enthusiast
Thx I have noticed it doesn’t always auto set to HD Master on my concert blu rays……

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd assume the salesperson was referring to runing the A5 from pre-out from the Integra vs just using the internal receiver amplifiers. I personally woudl take the more powerful A5 amplifier channels since he already has it but the difference in day to day normal use is probably going to be neglible.

As an owner of an AVM70V, I can't say that I can relate to the OP's complaint. Mine sounds pretty damn good.

It makes me wonder if perhaps the processing setting on the AVM 70 is set to something less than ideal. Like say using Anthem Movie instead of the proper Dolby/Atmos setting for an Atmos movie.

Edit: Running ARC may also help, It'll balance out channels better but it doesn't change the funamental sound field processing of the multichannel mix.
My first thought of piggybacking was that somehow the amps of the receiver were being added to somehow by the external amp....

Most people aside from some of the bugginess of the Anthem products seem to find they sound fine, and that ARC works quite well. Sometimes you just need to go thru it a second time....but good point about sound modes aside from basic setup, too.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
The Dts Neural
DTS Neural: X is the correct setting. It's the upsampler for DTS:X. It is generally the setting you'll want to use for any DTS track, including the older versions of the codec.
Similar in the way the AVM70 will use the Atmos setting for TrueHD as an upsampler.

You could set it to a non-X mode but I wouldn't expect that you'd any improved surround effect.

S

Stereodino

Enthusiast
Yes this one shows DTS…..thx I’ll try some others.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Perhaps it is worth taking a look at your speaker config in the web interface for your AVM70 and make sure your speaker allocation is correct.

This is mine for example:
1717279673757.png

You can set all the ranges by hand if you have to, but running ARC will calculate them all based on actual measured delay for you as well.

Attachments

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Go to your Input Setup and check Preset for each Input device. You can set the Mode to None so that it does not apply a given mode automatically when it receives a given signal. The Anthem is just applying the DTS Neural:X up mixer to the DTS signal here. Always check the input signal display to make sure the appropriate signal is being output from the selected source device.

DTS:X signals cannot be up mixed, though lossy DTS 5.1, lossy DTS HD HI RES 7.1 and lossless DTS HD Master Audio 7.1 can all be up mixed using DTS Neural:X. Dolby Surround is Dolby's up mixer. Different AVP/AVRs will have different restrictions concerning cross up mixing of Dolby and DTS signals. Like DTS:X, Dolby Atmos signals cannot be up mixed. If the speaker configuration is not compatible with Dolby Atmos, Atmos metadata will not be processed and the incoming signal may display as DD+ in the case of streaming or DTHD concerning discs with a Dolby Atmos track.

As was mentioned, make sure the speaker configuration matches the actual speakers in use or you might actually process and output signals to speakers that aren't actually there rather than have the Anthem reroute signals to speakers that are actually being used.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis