Emotiva XS15 a review

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Okay subjective impressions

First I had a hell of a scare turn everything on. Send a test tone through so I can level match. There's a staticky sound and then a loud POP!

I turn everything off and think F&-+ck MY LIFE

It was on the auto setting so I turn the switch to on and decide let's find out if the amp or woofer is blown.

ANNNNND everything is a ok sub is fine

I've heard that sometimes amps especially when first running can have a static discharge so maybe that what it was

Moving on.

It feels so good to hear CLEEEAAN LINEAR BASS again in this room

This sub plays clean it's fast clear dynamic and it can get loud. But it does all when it's exactly supposed to. And nothing more. Like all really great subs it stops and starts right on a dime.

Every note clear and articulate every bass instrument sounds exactly the way it's supposed to

It's way too much sub for this room it's at -10 on the receivers trim and the dial is at 11 on the sub volume :D. And I don't care

All the headroom I need without even trying

It sounds exactly like my Rythmiks

It had that incredibly tight accurate bass with that incredible tactile response that Rythmiks are known for.

I fuggin love this sub

Can't wait to do measurements this Saturday

Man this sub is going NOWHERE I love it

It looks so good with the M&K's I've finally got the setup I want in this room so happy.

Now I have to get up for work at 6 :D:D:D:D

View attachment 63393View attachment 63394View attachment 63395
That's a nice classic old building you live in...all those angles !!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay so the measurements are in annnnnd it's not pretty

What you see here is a reflection of the room and not the sub

It took me 2 days to come back here with measurements because I took over 70 all in different positions. I moved what furniture I could tried everything and this was about the best response I could get.

Their was one spot that measured best but it was in an unrealistic spot in my bedroom.

This measurement comes from the right corner underneath the right speaker about 4 feet from the corner

If I put it in the back of the room great extension below 20hz and above 80

But a massive suckout from 40 to 80hz

To the left of the room great response above 80 Hz but another massive sucker from 60 to 80 Hz

So this is about the smoothest response I could come up with

c03cd51d-9f14-41d3-897a-dea460bf60ff.jpg

It's not the greatest but it will work

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
To make that response better I'd need a second sub in that room but it's a secondary setup so it is what it is I found that room is not bass friendly

So I learned in that room

any sub would work best with towers crossed over around the 60hz region.

I'd need at least 2 subs to even out the response

But I love my M&K speakers and although their is an audible dip in the upper bass that is audible it doesn't sound bad at all. Just missing a sense of fullness that I'm used to.

But it still sounds good I can live with it

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So my final thoughts are I love the XS15 it sounds amazing for the audio range my room allows it to cover. So I'm keeping it.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
good work! Curious on the JBLs , was the size just too big or was the room too small for them to sound right?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
good work! Curious on the JBLs , was the size just too big or was the room too small for them to sound right?
The room was too small they took up too much space and although I could get great sound from them I know they weren't able to give me their best as close up to me as they were

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Plus they are not the right wood color for me I took the dark wood because it's the only color in stock but the other color they simply look gorgeous. I'll get them again some day in the right color and the right room

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That's a nice classic old building you live in...all those angles !!
Thanks man it was a custom built home and that's one of the reasons I feel in love with it was the unique look of the angles and lines.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Man just got done jamming out in here.

Although my room ended me up with a less then perfect response this sub continues to impress.

Was watching The Batman with Robert Pattinson. This sub just handled it and the M&K speakers really shined. The sound was clean clear never muddied fantastic mids and voices highs weren't too bright and that bass was detailed and clean. And damn this room was cranking. I've had towers and subs that couldn't play that movie that loud and dynamic but clean and detailed with really perfect bass

And music it's so quick and tight. The bass guitar is just a very hard instrument for a lot of subs to get right. This sub reproduces every note every pluck of a string so clear.

Even with my room holding back this subs full potential it continues to impress Great job Emotiva

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
More listening done I can't get over how good this sub sounds how clean the bass is

It's so good with everything music and movies

And even though my room puts limits on its performance that just makes how it sounds even more IMPRESSIVE.

I can't imagine in a more room friendly room for bass what this baby could do.

Emotivas 30 day trial period is moot I'm not giving this sub back. I love it I'm very impressed with what Emotiva has done here. I can't wait to try out their other speakers in the future if they are built anywhere close to the build quality here

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I'm sure the subwoofer driver will outlast the AB amplifier which will eventually give up because of the enclosed heat within the cabinet. It's possible Emotiva is letting these subs go at cheap prices for that reason. Eventually, you should be able to replace the inboard amp with the better more efficient electronics.

The reliability of powered subs was really bad until manufacturers started to install Class D amps in their boxes.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm sure the subwoofer driver will outlast the AB amplifier which will eventually give up because of the enclosed heat within the cabinet. It's possible Emotiva is letting these subs go at cheap prices for that reason. Eventually, you should be able to replace the inboard amp with the better more efficient electronics.

The reliability of powered subs was really bad until manufacturers started to install Class D amps in their boxes.
I don't know I remember owning some ol class AB amp driven subs that lasted forever back in the day. I mean for like over a decade. I've had a lot of issues with class D amps I had a terrible time with my SVS PB 4000's had to get them replaced multiple times for bad amps.

Monoprice has had some issues on the AVS owners thread with amps going bad. I honestly think class D or class AB either will work just fine on a sub it's all about the design and quality control.

I love the sound of a class AB amp on a sub but that's probably just perception bias from only having them as an option when I was younger

Regardless if anyone can make a class AB amp hold its own it should be safe to say it be an amplifier manufacturer like Emotiva

Now if only they could do the same thing for their processors :D

B

brett_jv

Audiophyte
Currently contemplating picking up one (or two) as they're on closeout for a pretty nice price. Still loving yours? Any issues crop up?

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
I don't know I remember owning some ol class AB amp driven subs that lasted forever back in the day. I mean for like over a decade. I've had a lot of issues with class D amps I had a terrible time with my SVS PB 4000's had to get them replaced multiple times for bad amps.

Monoprice has had some issues on the AVS owners thread with amps going bad. I honestly think class D or class AB either will work just fine on a sub it's all about the design and quality control.

I love the sound of a class AB amp on a sub but that's probably just perception bias from only having them as an option when I was younger

Regardless if anyone can make a class AB amp hold its own it should be safe to say it be an amplifier manufacturer like Emotiva

Now if only they could do the same thing for their processors :D
"class AB amp driven subs that lasted forever back in the day."

You made a good point on Class D Amps, premature failure. I remember Polk Audio Pro Subs the whole line suffered premature amp failure. Polk couldn't even replace those amps didn't have any. Going the route of a passive sub with a Class A/B Amp seems to be the way to go, because of the reliability. But some may not have the funds and or space. There's this one dude I know has 10 passive subs running them all off of a ATi 200 X 5 channel Amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

You made a good point on Class D Amps, premature failure. I remember Polk Audio Pro Subs the whole line suffered premature amp failure. Polk couldn't even replace those amps didn't have any. Going the route of a passive sub with a Class A/B Amp seems to be the way to go, because of the reliability. But some may not have the funds and or space. There's this one dude I know has 10 passive subs running them all off of a ATi 200 X 5 channel Amp.
There's something to be said just for an external/rack amp too. Spec'g cheap class d amps to keep prices down an issue too, killed a sub company called Epik and one other IIRC (Elemental?)

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
There's something to be said just for an external/rack amp too. Spec'g cheap class d amps to keep prices down an issue too, killed a sub company called Epik and one other IIRC (Elemental?)
Very true, I'm not a amp guru, but Crown Class D amps have a proven track of quality, reliability and longevity you can't kill them. I've always wondered why Class D in Subs have reliability issue, premature failure or at the very least be able to get the amp serviced.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Very true, I'm not a amp guru, but Crown Class D amps have a proven track of quality, reliability and longevity you can't kill them. I've always wondered why Class D in Subs have reliability issue, premature failure.
An amp in a box in a sub could be a heat issue, plus potentially the vibrations I suppose, other than simply price point. I use Crown XLS amps for my diy subs. Otoh the warranty replacement amp I got for my Epik from Epik before they shut down is still doing fine some 10 years down the road.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Currently contemplating picking up one (or two) as they're on closeout for a pretty nice price. Still loving yours? Any issues crop up?
I ended up selling it as it was too much sub for that smaller sized room. But I stayed in touch with the new owner and he's loving it. You should totally go for it they are very good performing subs!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Yeah those older designed class AB amps on subs just seemed to last forever back in the day

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Very true, I'm not a amp guru, but Crown Class D amps have a proven track of quality, reliability and longevity you can't kill them. I've always wondered why Class D in Subs have reliability issue, premature failure or at the very least be able to get the amp serviced.
Crown has always been one of the best for reliable class D.

I like what you and Lovin were saying about passive subs and rack amps that's really the ideal way to go in my humble opinion.

I just don't have enough room in my rack :(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis