Emotiva XS15 a review

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It has begun!!!!!

20230914_130726.jpg20230914_130740.jpg

I'll get it in the house get it upstairs and then run errands be back about 2 or 3 so we can unbox this bad boy!!!!

I will say this Emotiva is not fuggin around with shipping Freight R&L was the carrier same shipping company that delivers my RBH gear great company.

First time in I don't know how many orders a sub or speaker box has not taken any damage and this came in FAST.

I just ordered it 3 days ago!

Shipping 10 out of 10 Emotiva

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ohhhh yeeeaaah I just got 135 lbbox up 3 flights of stairs all by myself

I still got it baby! :D

I'm running an errand and I'll be back by 3 to get crackin on this

20230914_141313.jpg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Nice. About the same weight as my Epik Empire was and I had to get it up 3 flights of stairs.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ohhhh yeeeaaah I just got 135 lbbox up 3 flights of stairs all by myself

I still got it baby! :D

I'm running an errand and I'll be back by 3 to get crackin on this

View attachment 63379
I hope you used a dolly. Carrying something that heavy and awkward up stairs would take a terrible toll on your back.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I hope you used a dolly. Carrying something that heavy and awkward up stairs would take a terrible toll on your back.
I was careful. My job is very physically demanding so I need to be careful can't afford to get hurt and not work. So I made sure to be careful. Appreciate you looking out tho.

I just got back from errands I'm gonna take a quick break then we will start diving in

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Are you single? If not your wife needs to be nominated for some kind of award.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, he’s single, all right.

…and clearly due another round of therapy for his Port fetish.
:D

(Nope, ‘Zilla my friend… still hasn’t gotten old! :p )

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

It's a slot port I'm learning. My therapist would be proud! ;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I'm TERMINALLY SINGLE. You think any good woman in her right mind would tolerate this sh$t?

But that's okay I like being single.

Even if I do cry myself to sleep at night ;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Specs

Output Specifications
Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 200 Hz +/- 3 dB (with LF Boost control set to 0 dB). LF Boost Control can apply up to -3 dB cut, or +9 dB boost, at 30 Hz.
Driver Complement
Heavy duty long throw 15” forward-firing powered driver.
Non-pressed paper cone reinforced with aramid fibers.
Tough SBR rubber surround.
Non-magnetic cast aluminum frame.
3” copper voice coil and vented pole piece.
Amplification
Amplifier: Audiophile quality class A/B amplifier with oversized toroidal transformer.
Power: 600 watts RMS.
Inputs
Both balanced XLR and dual unbalanced RCA inputs.
Electronics
All operating controls and status indicators are located on the rear panel
Crossover with high quality 12 dB/octave analog low pass filters.
Continuously variable Level control.
Variable Crossover Frequency control: 60 Hz to 150 Hz.
Variable Phase control: 0 to -180 degrees.
Variable Low Frequency Boost control (LF Boost control can apply up to -3 dB cut, or +9 dB boost, at 30 Hz).
A truly transparent advanced multi-stage low-distortion limiter.
Auto-on circuit powers the subwoofer on when an audio signal is detected.
Cabinet
Heavy-duty furniture grade acoustically inert HDF cabinet with integral rubber feet.
A tough yet attractive exterior, finished with multiple coats of satin finish black lacquer on the front, and tough attractive textured vinyl on the rear and sides.
A removable sculpted fabric grill. (The cabinet is fully finished on all sides and looks great with or without the grill.)
Low noise, rear-firing, slot-loaded port.
Environmental and Mechanical
AC Power: User selectable 115 VAC or 230 VAC 50/60 Hz operation.
Dimensions: 23-5/8 inches high x 19-3/4 inches wide x 24-1/2 inches deep. (Permanently attached non-slip rubber feet included - but be sure to leave clearance for rear heat sinks and cables.)
Weight: 136 lbs. (boxed).
Weight: 114 lbs unboxed

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have to run up to work for an hour I'll be back to finish this up. Already unboxed and pics are coming!!!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Packing

This is one of the best packaged speakers or subs I've ever experienced. Right up their with RBH and SVS and Rythmik

High quality inches thick foam top and bottom doubled boxed doubled wrapped in cloth. Just a superb job with packing

10 out of 10 Emotiva great job

They also had holes cut out so 2 people can have handholds to make easier to lift and carry superb very nice touch 20230914_162852.jpg20230914_162510.jpg20230914_163216.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Appearance. This is a very nice looking sub one of the nicer ones I've seen in awhile.

They have this vinyl that's textured in a way that it looks and feels like leather. And it's a nice nice touch. It looks and feels niiiiiice

20230914_163631.jpg

The front has this smooth satin metal apoearanc like the front of a Martin Logan speaker. It's angled and it really makes this sub stand out. It looks mean and ready to go but sexy with the sharp lines and offset angles
20230914_173640.jpg

The amp looks clean it's laid out very nice with RCA inputs underneath XLR inputs nice touch

Underneath that is an auto on or on switch

Gain or volume knob

LF boost knob

Crossover knob

Phase knob

This is an class AB amp and it has massive heatsinks in the back they look sharp though. Very clean good looking well laid out amp

20230914_164357.jpg

8 to 9 out of 10 on appearance

I'm getting ready to fire her up

Tonight will be subjective only

I work a 16 hour shift tomorrow so Saturday I'll post in room measurements

I was curious about the XLR Emotiva is known on their regular amps to have the pins 2 and 3 reversed from normal gear but I contacted Emotiva support and they let me know the XLR pins on these sub amps are to the standard like what we are used to

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The driver is big man it measure 14 inches from rubber surround to rubber surround but when you measure the outside edge like most do it's over 15 inches more like 16

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay subjective impressions

First I had a hell of a scare turn everything on. Send a test tone through so I can level match. There's a staticky sound and then a loud POP!

I turn everything off and think F&-+ck MY LIFE

It was on the auto setting so I turn the switch to on and decide let's find out if the amp or woofer is blown.

ANNNNND everything is a ok sub is fine

I've heard that sometimes amps especially when first running can have a static discharge so maybe that what it was

Moving on.

It feels so good to hear CLEEEAAN LINEAR BASS again in this room

This sub plays clean it's fast clear dynamic and it can get loud. But it does all when it's exactly supposed to. And nothing more. Like all really great subs it stops and starts right on a dime.

Every note clear and articulate every bass instrument sounds exactly the way it's supposed to

It's way too much sub for this room it's at -10 on the receivers trim and the dial is at 11 on the sub volume :D. And I don't care

All the headroom I need without even trying

It sounds exactly like my Rythmiks

It had that incredibly tight accurate bass with that incredible tactile response that Rythmiks are known for.

I fuggin love this sub

Can't wait to do measurements this Saturday

Man this sub is going NOWHERE I love it

It looks so good with the M&K's I've finally got the setup I want in this room so happy.

Now I have to get up for work at 6 :D:D:D:D

20230914_221649.jpg20230914_221607.jpg20230914_221531.jpg

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Dan you are in real danger of having perfect setups and not being able to buy new things! That's going to be a problem for you.

I know your RBH room is now maxed out I believe

Bedroom is getting there quickly

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Dan you are in real danger of having perfect setups and not being able to buy new things! That's going to be a problem for you.

I know your RBH room is now maxed out I believe

Bedroom is getting there quickly
Both rooms are already there and Im done for now but like I mentioned in a previous thread I still plan on buying and trying new speakers at least twice a year. I'll flip them for a liveable loss. I plan on demoing them in the theater room. It has the proper space to let towers breath and the room is treated correctly so we can see how they measure in a properly treated room

In the bedroom I can try out and measure bookshelves. The new JBL studio 6 6-inch bookshelves are real high on my list for next year

I only live once and I want to experience as much audio as I can while my ears are young enough to allow it

And my friends on these forums well you can share that journey with me

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Both rooms are already there and Im done for now but like I mentioned in a previous thread I still plan on buying and trying new speakers at least twice a year. I'll flip them for a liveable loss. I plan on demoing them in the theater room. It has the proper space to let towers breath and the room is treated correctly so we can see how they measure in a properly treated room

In the bedroom I can try out and measure bookshelves. The new JBL studio 6 6-inch bookshelves are real high on my list for next year

I only live once and I want to experience as much audio as I can while my ears are young enough to allow it

And my friends on these forums well you can share that journey with me
Yes nothing wrong with just having fun with gear! That's part of the hobby for many and I enjoy when you do it so I can learn what's good and what isn't

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

It'll never get old. There are just too many ports to explore!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis